[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

Because, it is not travesty. It is not lowering your IQ, and it has some sort of structure. They didn't go deep with the whole Arya/Fm transformation on psychological basis and there are some things to complain about, but overall, even with cliche version of Arya, the Braavos story is being better than 4 out of 6 storylines this season

The fact that's the best arc so far is very telling of the whole show quality.

As I said a few pages back, the show is like a booty call. It's there to have one or two hours of fun and not make questions. But, as you also said, we, the readers can't help make questions of basic logic that is established in the show but that they break either way with the hope people say "let's not use the books! it's not the same!". Like, in that same plot, if Arya is meant to break apart from everything that makes her Arya, why is the KM using a familiar face that triggers her feelings? :dunno: Because, creatively it made sense because they wanted Tom W. to happen.

For those still upset about the assault of women I'm waiting for them to give D&D credit for taking tysha out of the show... I mean GRRM only had her gang raped by 50 men and the only purpose was to serve Tyrion's story.

But no, clearly D&D take it to a whole new level not seen in the books :rolleyes:

Anyway this episode was just as solid for me on a rewatch... Its just great to finally see the WW in action. IMO this is something GRRM should have done a while ago. Instead we have dozens of chapters to memorize gibberish names in Mereen.

And I feel no pain for George, hes sitting pretty raking in the $$ for the show, I doubt he's batting an eyelash at the changes to plot like many here are going crazy over lol.

For those still upset about the assault of women I'm waiting for them to give D&D credit for taking tysha out of the show... I mean GRRM only had her gang raped by 50 men and the only purpose was to serve Tyrion's story.

But no, clearly D&D take it to a whole new level not seen in the books :rolleyes:

Tysha is a secondary character whose rape happens off screen in order to set the path of one of the characters. It's not different from a narrative resource similar to the hero losing his parents, getting fired or being exiled.

The violence in HBO is a culmination of a storyline and a climax. It's a very different approach.

Tysha is a secondary character whose rape happens off screen in order to set the path of one of the characters. It's not different from a narrative resource similar to the hero losing his parents, getting fired or being exiled.

The violence in HBO is a culmination of a storyline and a climax. It's a very different approach.

lol OK whatever helps you sleep at night. As long as its not a main character it's OK.

Da fuq? Tysha had the exact same treatment in the show. They only removed her significance in Tyrion's story.

Are you here to argue, or to discuss the show? 5 pages of posts and just few comments really about ep.8....

4000 tapatalk forum users are cut because there is big traffic now, and you seat here and waste internet conections on offences and disputes?

The signifigance of tysha is that so far as we know, she is Tyrion's legal wife and his marriage to Sansa was not valid, even if it was consummated, however it is a very closely guarded secret very few know about. GRRM says that we will find out in the books about her but in the show, do not expect anything regarding that to come into play other than it being part of Tyrion's backstory.

My point was that you can't use that as an excuse, because the "Dumb & Dumber" comments have nearly stopped altogether, because the moderators told us to. You'll have to find another excuse to censor us, "nerdish bitter book snobs".

Who is trying to censor you? I've spoken nothing about censorship. As I said pages back, the bitterness became unbearable. The hatred became too much and yes I still see insults.

I'm not trying to censor anyone. You can rant and rave without reprecussion. It's your party, cry if you want to.

Are you here to argue, or to discuss the show? 5 pages of posts and just few comments really about ep.8....

4000 tapatalk forum users are cut because there is big traffic now, and you seat here and waste internet conections on offences and disputes?

Youre right. Ive spoken my peace.

Great episode. I wonder if Tyrion threw Jorah under the bus or if he has a plan to win him back.

Edited by RoamingRonin

I didn't realise that such vitriol existed towards people who criticise this show.

Personally, I thought the Hardhome stuff was ok. But I think the money spent on that could have been put to better use (like casting some Northern Lords).

Sansa's story is just kind of there for me now; I can't think of any reason for her to be in Winterfell and the decision to put her there has weakened the story, especially Theon's. So I just watch the scenes, essentially waiting for them to end.

I thought the KL stuff was pretty well done.

Arya's stuff was fine, if a bit dull (as it was in the book, tbf).

Tyrion and Danaerys was really disappointing. I don't know if it's the direction or Clarke, but her acting seems really bad. I also thought the 'break the wheel' speech was poor writing and simply intended to be a fist-pump moment, rather than actual character development. I thought that leaving out half the noble houses was a bit strange, especially the Martells. And Dany suddenly thinking the common people of Westeros will rise for her after she had that notion talked out of her in S1 was very odd.

Did we really need another scene with Olly Checkhov? The character is not interesting enough to warrant the amount of screentime he gets.

Did we really need another scene with Olly Checkhov? The character is not interesting enough to warrant the amount of screentime he gets.

They are building towards something with his character. I just dont like how quickly he is willing to turn on Jon. Perhaps we are wrong and he wont join the Ides but I doubt it.

I didn't realise that such vitriol existed towards people who criticise this show.

Personally, I thought the Hardhome stuff was ok. But I think the money spent on that could have been put to better use (like casting some Northern Lords).

Sansa's story is just kind of there for me now; I can't think of any reason for her to be in Winterfell and the decision to put her there has weakened the story, especially Theon's. So I just watch the scenes, essentially waiting for them to end.

I thought the KL stuff was pretty well done.

Arya's stuff was fine, if a bit dull (as it was in the book, tbf).

Tyrion and Danaerys was really disappointing. I don't know if it's the direction or Clarke, but her acting seems really bad. I also thought the 'break the wheel' speech was poor writing and simply intended to be a fist-pump moment, rather than actual character development. I thought that leaving out half the noble houses was a bit strange, especially the Martells. And Dany suddenly thinking the common people of Westeros will rise for her after she had that notion talked out of her in S1 was very odd.

Compared to the vitriol against the show and everything relating to it it's as sweet as Sansa's favourite lemon cake.

So far, the only thing Olly has been shown to do is to bond with Jon and feel betrayed that he's taking certain decisions. He also seems worried about him, which fits with the fact Bowen and the others have nothing personal against Jon, only the things he has done.

In any case, the plot might develop into him being used or lured to bait Jon. Or he simply feels betrayed for good.

The thing is, as I've said in the other thread, unlike the book in which the things happening in Hardhome are nothing but speculation and sound like a very bad idea, we have now a situation in which Jon has survived an Other attack, he has seen the real damage and they need him. The watch itself has little motivation to go against Jon now, because he has just faced the one enemy he was meant to face all along. In fact, he has now more useful information about them.

So... Olly is just going to go and kill him out of spite. "you did all of that to save wildings? Die! die!". Maybe Mel gets tired of his shit and burns him instead of Shireen :dunno:

So far, the only thing Olly has been shown to do is to bond with Jon and feel betrayed that he's taking certain decisions. He also seems worried about him, which fits with the fact Bowen and the others have nothing personal against Jon, only the things he has done.

In any case, the plot might develop into him being used or lured to bait Jon. Or he simply feels betrayed for good.

The thing is, as I've said in the other thread, unlike the book in which the things happening in Hardhome are nothing but speculation and sound like a very bad idea, we have now a situation in which Jon has survived an Other attack, he has seen the real damage and they need him. The watch itself has little motivation to go against Jon now, because he has just faced the one enemy he was meant to face all along. In fact, he has now more useful information about them.

So... Olly is just going to go and kill him out of spite. "you did all of that to save wildings? Die! die!". Maybe Mel gets tired of his shit and burns him instead of Shireen :dunno:

Olly may go rogue. Which is so much less interesting than FTW but ends up with the same plot outcome of "dead" Jon.