[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

So the tally for this season is: 6 garbage episodes, 1 decent episode, and one great episode. I don't think this "redeems the season" but I'm glad to see them back on track with episodes that measure up to the quality we are used to.

Disagree on this being a garbage season - I haven't liked all the episodes, but with the exception of episode 6 (never let me watch that again) I think everything has at least been satisfactory. Episode 1 was a solid intro, 7 and 8 were very good, and the others were just kind of ok.

Can we agree to just never have the show visit Dorne again? Every second of that storyline makes me cringe...

Edited by jmb06010

It's really getting on my tits to see so many people saying that this episode "redeemed" the season like it was the only one worth watching. Do you play on your phone the entire time an episode isn't appealing to your short attention span and giving you instant gratification?

And all it took were some wights. Filthy casuals.

I know it's fucking annoying. Walking dead fans I am sure.

Building plot and character...too slow.....me no like too much talking but need to see lots of cut scenes and super fast paced zombie skeletons!!

Regarding being on the other side of the wall: I think that will be important for the ides. We know Jon can't warg when the wall separates him and ghost and ghost is in CB. Maybe the stabbing happens over there before he can get through -- like they say they will come out to talk and that's when it goes down. Would also explain how he rises again, since everyone does on that side of the wall.

How about we wait to find out?

They almost certainly have a reason.

Getting rather fed up of complaints about continuity errors in episodes not yet screened.

This. So much this!

Remember all the complaining that "Egg, I dreamed I was old" was going to be cut . . . and then it wasn't.

There are many other examples of this, and the culprits who b*tch about it never seem to give credit where credit is due. Great episode btw.

My takeaway... The Sansa thing is interesting, does the news that Bran and Rickon are still alive maybe is what she needed to turn into a killer.

I took this news that Sansa heard as her realizing LF was wrong and she is NOT the last remaining Stark. Maybe she is starting to think that her life isnt as valuable as LF or the Boltons say it is.

I am not sure if I am correct on this one but if Sansa knows Bran and/or Rickon are indeed alive, does that mean she realizes Winterfell goes to them by law because they are Stark men?

Maybe she will start taking more risks with her life rather then "enduring" the misery she keeps going through.

Disagree on this being a garbage season - I haven't liked all the episodes, but with the exception of episode 6 (never let me watch that again) I think everything has at least been satisfactory. Episode 1 was a solid intro, 7 and 8 were very good, and the others were just kind of ok.

Can we agree to just never have the show visit Dorne again? Every second of that storyline makes me cringe...

Yeah I agree with most of this. Ep 1 set things up well. So, 1, 7 and 8. But 2-6 should have been edited down to 2, maybe 3, episodes, with no drone and much less Rambrienne. Below average quality from this show is less than satisfactory though after 4 season with zero shitty episodes.

Yeah I agree with most of this. Ep 1 set things up well. So, 1, 7 and 8 are good. But 2-6 should have been edited down to 2, maybe 3, episodes, with no drone and much less Rambrienne. Below average quality from this show is less than satisfactory though after 4 seasons with zero shitty episodes.

So the tally for this season is: 6 garbage episodes, 1 decent episode, and one great episode. I don't think this "redeems the season" but I'm glad to see them back on track with episodes that measure up to the quality we are used to.

^^^^^ This post is a winner

I took this news that Sansa heard as her realizing LF was wrong and she is NOT the last remaining Stark. Maybe she is starting to think that her life isnt as valuable as LF or the Boltons say it is.

I am not sure if I am correct on this one but if Sansa knows Bran and/or Rickon are indeed alive, does that mean she realizes Winterfell goes to them by law because they are Stark men?

Maybe she will start taking more risks with her life rather then "enduring" the misery she keeps going through.

That's interesting, I think the outcome is the same either way. She is more interested her family is alive than her claim I believe though, I could be wrong.

But the Dorne stuff is a big part of what makes this season such a steaming pile of camel shit

I tend to agree. It seems as though the entire budget is used for these last 2 or 3 episodes. I mean did you see the effects used on Daznaks Pit? Hardhome effects looked straight out of a movie and I would bet that the remaining special effects budget was used on the Daznaks Pit scene and Drogon takeoff.

It makes the rest of the seasons episodes rather dull. This explains why we dont get more Ghost scenes, does anyone remember that Jon still has his pet Direwolf? In the books they are practically frick and frack!

I truly believe that sending Jaime to Dorne was one of the worst decisions D&D have made, when they had a reliably great plotline of Brienne, Jaime, and LSH in the Riverlands (with other recurring characters).

I suppose Dorne is going to be important to Dany.

Something not mentioned on this thread, but Tyrion's speech mentioned *all* the great houses, except the Martells. They will be the only "rich" who support Dany, and she will ally with the Dornish. That is the only reason we have Dorne. Now, whether it needed the Sandy Worms and Jaime and Bronn is an entirely different matter.

That's interesting, I think the outcome is the same either way. She is more interested her family is alive than her claim I believe though, I could be wrong.

Im not trying to imply that Sansa is that petty, at least not anymore compared to her character at the beginning of the books. I mean that she would be willing to take more risks with her life now that she realizes that she is not the "Last Remaining Stark".

I thought she was doing this marry a Bolton thing for the sake of her family name because there was no one left. I think LF actually convinced her of this and look at where she is at

Yeah I agree with most of this. Ep 1 set things up well. So, 1, 7 and 8. But 2-6 should have been edited down to 2, maybe 3, episodes, with no drone and much less Rambrienne. Below average quality from this show is less than satisfactory though after 4 season with zero shitty episodes.

Fair enough, I can agree with this - do cut them some slack though considering the amount of source material they're trying to consolidate into 10 hours of TV, especially given the scope. Some of their creative liberties have definitely backfired, some have succeeded, and some have yet to be determined. Lets keep our fingers crossed, but hopefully they can build off of this momentum in episodes 9 and 10.

Edited by jmb06010

Im not trying to imply that Sansa is that petty, at least not anymore compared to her character at the beginning of the books. I mean that she would be willing to take more risks with her life now that she realizes that she is not the "Last Remaining Stark".

I thought she was doing this marry a Bolton thing for the sake of her family name because there was no one left. I think LF actually convinced her of this and look at where she is at

I thought she was doing it for revenge.

I truly believe that sending Jaime to Dorne was one of the worst decisions D&D have made, when they had a reliably great plotline of Brienne, Jaime, and LSH in the Riverlands (with other recurring characters).

I suppose Dorne is going to be important to Dany.

Something not mentioned on this thread, but Tyrion's speech mentioned *all* the great houses, except the Martells. They will be the only "rich" who support Dany, and she will ally with the Dornish. That is the only reason we have Dorne. Now, whether it needed the Sandy Worms and Jaime and Bronn is an entirely different matter.

Yep! Good ear, I noticed this as well.

I'm wondering if Varys hasn't been hangin out in Dorne since losing Tyrion. Maybe he's giving Doran the same pitch he gave Tyrion (since apparently there was no old marriage plot with Viserys and anyone, maybe Varys will be trying to set up Tristane and Daenerys instead). Then, I guess the sandsnakes stupidness will be behind us.

Unfortunately it probably also means that we will get lots of "buh we luuuv each other" from tris and myrcella... yikes.