[Poll] How would you rate episode 508?

Ran

How would you rate episode 508?  

998 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Maybe off topic for this thread, but it's astounding the difference in opinion between this thread and the rant thread. So many posts about how everything D&D does is just lacking any talent and how they cannoy comprehens howanybody could like this orany other episode. Personally I dont understand why people would devote so much time to something they don't like. I find myself in the 9/10 but from all the bitching in that thread I'm surprised there aren't many low scores in this poll, its almost like some strange partinship where each side avoids the other.

He lost the dragon glass before he could use it. If I remember correctly I believe Sam reads something about Valerian steel working against the White Walkers (in the books). It makes sense that Valerian steel would work given how it is forged.

I like the idea that Jorah is the one to release the dragons.

Sam reads about dragonsteel. He and Jon discusses it might be Valyrian steel.

And if I remember correctly, there is same scene in the show, where they discuss dragonglass and dragonsteel.

Tyrion and Dany was great by itself... but I have to admit I wasn't expecting that at Hardhome. I expected something of a Free Folk insurrection and a battle between Jon/Tormund's loyal wildlings and those who want revenge for the battle at the Wall - never expected for the army of the dead to turn up and kick ass that like. Spectacular TV. I can't think of a better episode since Blackwater.

9/10

Due to Hardhome. Epic is not a sufficient description.

Cersei in prison was also good.

Braavos was tolerable up until the point where the FM seem to be some charity avengers. What a BS!

Tyrion in Meereen is beyond stupid.

Olly Chekhov should be legally forbidden.

Sansa/Theon & Roose/Ramsey was good as well.

But, all that luckily pales when faced with Hardhome.

That battle scene was just amazingly well done. I'm not one who enjoys fight scenes too much but this one was just so well done that I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Big props for this episode.

Edited by makchamp

10/10. In this entire series, only Blackwater was better than the battle in this episode. Good god, that was awesome.

I hate Dany and Tyrion, but they click on the show, so that's awesome. Sansa's narrative has been set going forward. She needs to try to find Bran now. That's great. Arya is good to go as a badass assassin. I can't wait to see how that progresses. Even Jorah going back to the fighting pit makes sense to me. Lena Headey and Alfie Allen continue to be amazing actors.

I highly doubt Sansa is going to go beyond the Wall searching caves for Bran. If anything she will be responsible for bringing Rickon back into the fold.

Best battle so far. I yelled when LONGCLAW shattered the white walker.

10/10

Yeah they nailed the WTF?!?!?! look on the White Walkers face too!

Big cheer for the Ice Spiders Easter egg, thought they'd be too Fantasyish for the show but they are perfect for climbing the Wall so....

That was awesome. Everything I thought it'd be and more. Was hoping that unnamed woman wildling would survive and be a Val-like character. But I'm whatver I'm just glad Tormund and WunWun made it.

Yeah she did great, was a nice slice of the missing Val, I think the point there though is that they needed to give a face and make people have feeling for the people left behind at Hardhome who got killed, just as Tormund had to be face of alliance, Rattleshirt the face of resistance, Chiefteness the face of convinced, the Thenn as the face of resistant but who came round once he saw the bigger picture, Dolorous Edd will probably be the face of NW resistant but who came round when he sees the bigger picture (reckon he will play a part in convincing Throne to open the gates)

Gave it a 9. I can't recall anything that wasn't solid and I really liked how they did the Hardhome sequence. They covered a lot of ground, including some subtle hints of Jon's importance to the story, just in time to wrap Jon's ADWD arc. The Night's King I expect may be a plot device they've used to give the Other's a more coherent menace and emphasize their human origins. But it works for the show I think.

Yeah it's a bit like LoTR where they had to give a personality to the Uruk-hai in Fellowship and once again to the main Orc in the last one, it's a TV/Movie thing where there needs to be an identifiable face to each aspect as you can't convey the same fear of a nameless/faceless enemy

Which is why also the woman is working well as a face to the Sons of the Harpy, I subscribe to the theory that she is actually the "Mother of the Harpy's", a great contrast to Dany

In the grand scheme of things I reckon the Night's King is the main Others General/Military Commander, I reckon there is a female leadership caste we'll see at some point in the LoaW, which is where Benjen Stark was taken to IMO in books and show

Edited by Ghosts Lunch

They absolutely fucking nailed it.

I'm normally pretty skeptical about zombie sequences and I've always wondered how threatening the WW can seriously look in a show with massive, organised armies and dragons.

But damn...When the NK raised up his arms I was like fuck. They're going to TEAR through Westeros.

It was brilliantly put together. The audio in particular stood out, but the visual shots of the WW on the hill, the storms when they arrived, the stare downs. Glorious.

Redeemed a lot of the shite we've had to endure this season.

Yeah it's a bit like LoTR where they had to give a personality to the Uruk-hai in Fellowship and once again to the main Orc in the last one, it's a TV/Movie thing where there needs to be an identifiable face to each aspect as you can't convey the same fear of a nameless/faceless enemy

Which is why also the woman is working well as a face to the Sons of the Harpy, I subscribe to the theory that she is actually the "Mother of the Harpy's", a great contrast to Dany

In the grand scheme of things I reckon the Night's King is the main Others General/Military Commander, I reckon there is a female leadership caste we'll see at some point in the LoaW, which is where Benjen Stark was taken to IMO in books and show

To be their man-slave? :lmao:

This episode gets 9/10 from me. Hardhome sequence was epic. Best battle in the series really... but Olly and Dany&Tyrion scenes weren't that great (once again)

Edited by midi

I gave it 8.

-1 for Tyrion, he's really starting to annoy me with how plot protected his holier than thou status is.

-1 for skeletons without blue eyes. What keeps them moving? Why don't the bones just fall apart?

NK was cool though.

9/10

This season has been mostly disappointing for me...mostly due to departure from the books. But I must say, this episode was awesome. I enjoyed every minute of it. Tyrion meeting Dany, Reek finally denying killing Sansa's brothers, Arya as Cat of the canals, Cersei getting what she deserves...and then of course the battle.

Why not 10/10? Well, I think that the less we know about the enemy, the less he shows up, the more terrifying he is. And in this episode, they basically showed the White Walkers, how they transform the dead into wights....and I feel like there's not much mystery left, since the characters now know what they really look like, what they can do (not saying that's all they can do but still). Plus the super fast skeletons were a bit annoying for me.

Tbf in terms of the White Walkers, they are in the pilot and in the background as a threat for most of 5/7 seasons so they are at that stage in the lifecycle where there needs to be another decisive step forward in the primary arc of the entire story

Season 6 needs to go even deeper, eg they need to arrive at the Wall and even cross it, with the invasion proper in season 7. Similarly Winds of Winter as the name suggests needs to go deep into the Others invasion (which basically means the pace of the books need to speed up a lot more than the pace where they have been in Feast and Dance)

Also, as far as the general principle goes, it's harder in a visual medium to make something a nameless terror, it has to be seen in some way in order for viewers to be engaged which is why the harpies are seen although with masks

Was Sam's line "Jon Always comes back" or something like that, foreshadowing his come back in AWOW??

Great point, couldn't help but feel this was an Easter Egg to book fans when I heard it

Also, even though it is no less ironic given the Targaryens are not only part of the Wheel but actually "created the Wheel" by cramming the 7 Kingdoms together, and Dany's self-righteous moralising and general BS is rather annoying, I understood it thematically given it is meant to directly parallel what the High Sparrow is about in Kings Landing so wasn't as irritating when I heard it in the trailers as when I heard it in the show

Edited by Ghosts Lunch

Maybe off topic for this thread, but it's astounding the difference in opinion between this thread and the rant thread. So many posts about how everything D&D does is just lacking any talent and how they cannoy comprehens howanybody could like this orany other episode. Personally I dont understand why people would devote so much time to something they don't like. I find myself in the 9/10 but from all the bitching in that thread I'm surprised there aren't many low scores in this poll, its almost like some strange partinship where each side avoids the other.

I think everyone in the world who didn't like that episode is in that thread.

Honestly if you can't enjoy that episode then the show really isn't for you. That's basically a taste of everything the show and books are building too. The sequence was absolutely epic, yet people there are calling it "boring, stupid, pathetic" in the face of universal acclaim. It's pretty laughable.

I think everyone in the world who didn't like that episode is in that thread.

Honestly if you can't enjoy that episode then the show really isn't for you. That's basically a taste of everything the show and books are building too. The sequence was absolutely epic, yet people there are calling it "boring, stupid, pathetic" in the face of universal acclaim. It's pretty laughable.

its not laughable, its saddening... they are to be pitied.

anyway better not get this blocked. as expected this season has been backloaded. going be a epic final two episodes....

A few weeks back, I gave episode 6 a 10 and have regretted it ever since, because it was only actually slightly better than the episodes which preceded it. I gave a 9 to last week's, which on a second viewing I may actually consider the same or better. I have no qualms about giving a 10 to Hardhome, though. It was totally spectacular. The most I've been entertained by extended action sequences this year outside of Mad Max: Fury Road. The Daenarys and Tyrion scenes were perfect; I far prefer this barking mad narcissist version of Daenarys to the fudging ditherer she turns into in the 5th novel, even though there's plenty of hints she's beginning to lose her marbles there. But the Hardhome sequences were galactic. Not a single nit to make apart from the sexy Bela Lugosi woman dying, who I'd actually quite taken to. Neat cameo from Rattleshirt. Excellent scenes involving Arya, Theon and Sansa. One of my favourite episodes of the series so far.