[Poll] How would you rate episode 508?

Ran

How would you rate episode 508?  

998 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I give it a 10. I just loved this episode and can't wait to see what's next.

Highs:

The fact that the battle didn't just follow Jon, it had the NW and wildlings in it together. I was skeptical about Karsi but they made her tough, human, and lovable in 20 minutes. I even got some feels when the Thenn leader went with Jon to get the glass and ended up sacrificing himself. The tension buildup with the dogs howling and the avalanche and wind, then the all too believable chaos that ensued when the wildlings are rushing the boats...goosebumps and chills. The staredown between Jon and the NK was epic.

Finally Sansa knows about Bran and Rickon. Also it was a nice surprise to see her dressed and composed, even favoring a hairstyle we haven't seen since season 1.

Arya stuff was pleasantly close to the books.

Tyrion and Dany...I loved it even if it's a bootleg version of what we're in for in the books because damn if the Dinkles doesn't kill it.

Cersei slurping water out of a puddle to the strains of TROC.

Jorah just doesn't give up. Instead of going bitter and trying to hurt his Khaleesi (a la show!Shae) he finds new and more painful ways to get back in her good graces.

Ramsay dropping "a feast for the crows".

Lows:

That we only had an hour of this awesomeness because next week it's back to Dorne.

Edited by SnowCastle

Pretty stellar episode all in all. Hardhome was every bit as incredible as it needed to be, so was the dialogue between dany and tyrion (big surprise there). All the rest, cersei, arya, sansa, theon was great.

The one scene that bothers me is the Bolton scene. They have written themselves into a corner here I believe. In the books, Winterfell is crowded with guests and the presence of a secret serial killer makes it all the more important that Bolton finishes Stannis off quickly, before he himself becomes a target. But in the show, Roose is completely right to sit behind his walls and using Ramsey's impatience (book Ramsey would never suggest that) as a device to engage Stannis in open war feels a little contrived for me. Anyone agree?

This is the kind of episode I've been waiting for this whole season. Gotta be honest, I didn't see it coming. After 7 episodes in I was underwhelmed and at times even disappointed. Then this one comes around and finally brings GoT back to where it was in previous seasons. It's stuff like this that gives me hope for the upcoming season(s).

Overall I really enjoyed the episode. I dunno if this episode lacked screws up and illogicalities that earlier episodes had, or if I just enjoyed it so much that I overlooked/didn't notice them, but as of now - after my first viewing of it, I can't think or remember anything worthy of complaint. Really hoping the next two episodes aren't a let down after this hype-fest.

First time I've been truly impressed this season. Gave it a 9.

A few of the lines were weak, and in the beginning Hardhome was a little too "Army of Darkness" for me (don't get me wrong, I love that movie, but it's a B-rated movie for a reason). But once they really started breaking through the gate/wall it got MUCH better and was legitimately badass in my opinion.

I really enjoyed it. Thank the gods! Finally got me back into the show this season!! (and yes, I have a few gripes about changes to this and that, but it's some good television)

I for once have to go against the flow. I gave it 4/10. Maybe I am being a bit harsh and will reconsider after re-watch but the whole episode was kinda dull despite it being action packed. The Hardhome scene, particularly the negotiations, felt like something I have seen over a dozen times in every movie that involves a siege or former enemies uniting under a bigger threat. All the dialogues and sequence of events was just way too predictable and felt like nothing new.

Sansa/Theon were great, Cersei/Qyburn and Arya were good but just felt like a setup and Tyrion/Danny was good but I think I expected more.

Overall, the episode just didn't suck me in as usual and none of the scenes (aside from perhaps Jon battling the WW) or dialogues were particularly memorable.

I tend to rate around 8-10 so this is an unusually low score for me.

A solid 5/10.

- Hardhome was ... not bad - but considering the budget this used, I really could have done with less. I'm hard to impress with long battles, they just bore me. I wish they did some solid storytelling instead. Also still not a fan of the skeleton warriors. No idea why the skeletons didn't have blue eyes but the raised dead did. But oh well, it wasn't bad - the fighting was a good deal better than we have seen this season.

- Olly being set up as Brutus is getting very, very annoying. I've never seen such overused foreshadowing. A useless scene.

- Arya was good, there was some real, original GoT atmosphere. This is the only storyline I am really enjoying still.

- The Faith continues to be IS - torturing Cersei for a confession, I don't know, just stupid. Can't get over how terribly D&D misunderstood that movement.

- Ramsay will go into Stannis' army with 20 men. I can't even ... I hope he changes his mind. Otherwise, congratulation on butchering ADWDs best plotline even more.

- Tyrion is now chief counselor in Mereen. I'm amazed Dany didn't marry him. This was just far, far too easy. Not digging Jorah's upcoming tragic self-sacrifice.

I can't quite join the enthusiasm about this episode, forgive me. It was a really well done battle for a TV show. But how I wish they'd rather spent their money on better scripts and directors for the other episodes of this season ...

- Hardhome was ... not bad - but considering the budget this used, I really could have done with less. I'm hard to impress with long battles, they just bore me. I wish they did some solid storytelling instead. Also still not a fan of the skeleton warriors. No idea why the skeletons didn't have blue eyes but the raised dead did. But oh well, it wasn't bad - the fighting was a good deal better than we have seen this season.

Skeletons don't have eyes. Because they're skeletons.

Gave it a 10/10..

But didnt anyone else find it odd that while Winterfell is two neck deeps in snow,HardHome didnt have much snow(it wasnt even snowing when John

made it to HH) and the sea continued to flow till the end instead of turning into rock solid ice.

I felt that was deliberately done because that was the only way out for John.

Hehe, thanks for enlightening me :) I don't think the blue eyes still rot, though, see the turning of the baby in S4. This really was a detail, though.

A skeleton that was raised from the dead would already have eyes that had rot. Skeletons don't grow eyes when animated, they just become live skeletons. However, a corpse reanimated before it rot has blue eyes, like Othor in S1 and the many other blue-eyed wights we saw in the battle. The baby in S4 was presumably made into a White Walker rather than a Wight, but regardless it was living at the time and obviously still had eye balls. I don't know why anyone would expect a rotted corpse-now-skeleton to have eyeballs.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips

Overall I enjoyed watching this episode. I loved the interaction between Tyrion and Danaerys, and also the one between Sansa and Theon / Reek (even though I do not like her arc this season). My favourite scenes were the ones at Hardhome. In a small time frame, we all meet new characters: Wun Wun, the female wildling chieftain, and the Thenn chief. There are so many things happening during that battle scene: trying to hold the gates / wall against the wights, looking for the dragonglass cache, and even a fight between Jon and a White Walker. Now we also know that Valyrian steel can kill the White Walkers. The CGI team did a superb job: the avalanche of wights was a great thing to see.