[Poll] How would you rate episode 508?

Ran

How would you rate episode 508?  

998 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

You guys bickering about Blackwater is making me wish I watched that episode. How good is it? I only started watching from season 4 onwards, so no idea.

I never liked it, but mainly because of the battle itself, which is, IMO, badly done, and more compared to Watchers on the Wall and Hardhome (probably because of the lack of budget and experience). But there were many brilliant scenes (Cersei and Sansa, or Davos and Stannis), and the soundtrack and acting were extraordinary.

LOL, IMDB definitely takes kneejerking to a whole new level. 9.9? Why not 10.5, since it was obviously the best piece of TV in history of Mankind.

I don't ususally trust IMDb ratings (Game of Thrones and BB would be, then, the best shows and pieces of cinema ever, far above The Wire, True Detective, The Sopranos, etc), but I must say, this is impressive.

Hardhome has already been voted more than Blackwater, the latter being released 3 years ago, and the former, 2 days.

I liked it far more than any I could remember, but that's mainly because my main interest on ASOIAF relies on Jon Snow and the Others. 9.9, though, seems a little high. Still, on this very forum, the episode is 9.3, I think.

LOL, IMDB definitely takes kneejerking to a whole new level. 9.9? Why not 10.5, since it was obviously the best piece of TV in history of Mankind.

This is perhaps an unpopular opinion (I voted 9/10) but I enjoyed the episode and rated it so highly because it was mostly original content. People freak out over the Red Wedding, but as a reader that episode was so compelling because the source material was so good. In fact the show could never hope to trump the way I felt after reading, The best they could do is do it justice, and I think they fell a bit short, but it was nonetheless quite entertaining in a morbid way.

Hardhome, however, or at least the second half of the episode, is mostly original and not piggybacking off GRRM's amazing writing, so to speak. For me it deserves a high rating for being good TV but also for making an episode worthy of the ASoIaF series without copying lines from the books. It gives me hope for them, as there is usually a marked drop in quality in writing and setting a stage when they veer off GRRM's path and make their own.

Let start with 5

There were no gratuitous sex scenes: +3

Dany & Tyrion: -2

Arya Cockels: +1

"Lana" instead of Cat: -1

Olly: - 2

Sansa finds out about Rickon and Bran: +1

Whights: +1 (just because I started to laugh)

Wildlings: -1 (didn't like how they were portraited)

Wun wun: + 1

No Ghost: -1

Night King?: -2

So conclusion: 3

Let start with 5

Why Night King -2?

GOT, season 5, episode 8

I guess I'll go with 9 for this one. My complaints were relatively small, and I thought the good was quite good.

The Sansa/Theon/Boltons segment was brief but excellent. Cersei, also rather brief, was decent; it's good Kevan is coming back. I did wonder whether Cersei will end up confessing on account of Tommen, although then he would lose his throne, but maybe he would at least start eating again.

I'm also glad Arya has finally been allowed to get out of the HOWAB and actually do things. They seem to have moved quite quickly after a rather slow season.

I loved the scenes with Daenerys and Tyrion. If I were going to criticise them, I might say that Daenerys trusts Tyrion rather quickly. Also, Jorah being exiled a second time is slightly anti climactic. But the wheel more than made up for that.

Again, I only have a couple of small complaints about The Wall segments. One being that I don't much care for Olly. The other being that the fight went on a bit too long. On the other hand, they do need to remind people that the Others/White Walkers/Whatever are a serious threat. I thought Jon's and Tormund's speeches were excellent; and I even liked "Karsi", even if I only know who she is thanks to the wiki.

Easily the best episode of the season, perhaps my favorite of the whole series. The incredibly intense battle followed by the final scene with the boat and the staredown.. A lot of folks questioned why they weren't rowing the heck out of there but it was pretty clear they were in total shock. Kit Harrington did a good job with just his facial expressions as they were drifting from shore. What a tremendous episode. I loved the mountain and the viper last year mostly for the pit it left in my stomach at the end, and this episode blew that out of the water. Left a canyon in my stomach. Bravo!!

You guys bickering about Blackwater is making me wish I watched that episode. How good is it? I only started watching from season 4 onwards, so no idea.

The drama/build up stuff is great but the battle scenes themselves are laughable in comparison to Hardhome.

Let start with 5

The reasoning behind my 4 is far more simple. Hardhome was half the episode, and it was a great segment... for a mindless action flick. But not perfect (the wildlings not using fire, etc.), so this segment earned a 4 rather than a 5. The rest of the episode was mostly crap, especially St. Tyrion the Virtuous and Ms. Deadpan Stormborn, so the rest of the episode does nothing for me.

Arya wasn't that bad though, so maybe, just maybe, it deserved a 5.

Edited by Nadaplete

Yeah this was amazing. Tyrion-Dany,

Jorah..

. Did I see correctly that the dragonglass blades didn't work but the Vlryian steel did? BC, I'm thinking when dragonglass is further forged by dragon flame is the kicker.

The dragon glass blades were never used. Jon got thrown off of them before he had a chance to use one, then he left them in the giant's "house" when they ran for the boats.

In my opinion this entire season has been rather underwhelming so far, but this episode fucking nailed it.

It was pure perfection, well, at least the last 30 or so minutes of it. I didn't care that much for the Dany/Tyrion stuff, it felt really flat and the way Clarke and Dinklage delivered their lines was weird. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but that scene didn't feel right.

However Hardhome was epic. For me it was the most exciting thing they've ever done on the show. The Others fill me with dread and horror, they were so well done. For the first time in the show, I felt like the danger beyond the Wall is real and it's coming and all the intigue in King's Landing, all the other conflicts around the world...

10/10. For me, this was the first episode since "The Rains of Castamare" that I think deserves ten points. Outstanding work.

I loved the Tyrion and Dany scenes. The whole time I was reading the books I was hoping they would meet and work together. One of the things I've found frustrating in the books is that GRRM starts with all these characters together, then sends them to the far sides of the world on their separate trajectories. As an audience you're waiting for them to come back together. Finally, FINALLY two major characters who really have something to offer each other meet! We're wondering if one of them is going to kill the other. They're wary of each other. Tyrion has a major incentive to stay alive, but will he sell Jorah out? Jorah was his captor after all. Or will Tyrion walk that oh so narrow line where he acknowledges Jorah's love and devotion to Danaerys without minimizing the betrayal?

With Tyrion at her side, I think Danaerys has a chance at living up to her potential to be the ruler that Westeros needs. After chapters and seasons of dispersal here was a scene of reconciliation. the performances were amazing. Dany all tight lipped. Tyrion cagy, witty, and totally on the mark about Dany's successes and obstacles, with his life on the line. Dany more regal than I've seen so far. She was operating from a position of strength dealing with two supplicants, wise enough to know that this could be a once in a life time opportunity, but still angry at Jorah and mistrustful of the strange, mouthy Lannister. She also doesn't know much about Westeros.

"Killing those who are devoted to you doesn't inspire devotion. And you will need to inspire devotion to rule Westeros." [iIRC]

How many times have people on these very boards questioned Dany's abiliity to rule Westeros? I think D&D just answered those questions. And so did Dany!

TEN!

No freaking chance in hell. :box:

Different opinions for different people.

Never liked Blackwater nearly as much as the people around here do. I enjoyed this episode and WotW much, much more than I ever enjoyed Blackwater.

Not that fussed about the battle scene, but then such scenes aren't really the type of thing that grabs me. In some of the previous battles on the show, as another poster mentioned, you had something on a human level invested on both sides. In this battle, it was a bit us versus them. Still, despite that, it was technically well done, which one should give credit towards.

This is the best episode of this season, despite some issues I have with the Tyrion and Dany meet-up (I'd expect less trust from Dany towards Tyrion, as well as some better dialogue). Liked the Arya stuff and the Sansa/Theon reveal. It's also getting interesting in that on a narrative level, the show's now straying a bit beyond where the books have led us (although one or two important things are still yet to happen). Now when my wife, who hasn't read the books, asks me what's happening, I can shrug and say that I don't really know. ;)

So, from me, it's an eight out of ten.

Edited by Gort

I had the exact same thought. Definetely forshadowing...

Also, when Jon was fighting the Walker I had the feeling the Walker "recognized"him...or some sort of power/uniqueness in him...we shall see..

I kept thinking that, for the two daughters of the wildling woman and anyone who watched Jon Snow at Hardhome (including the Night's King), Jon IS the Prince That Was Promised. He is called King (King Crow), he leads his men, takes people to safety and wields a sword that kills the WW.