[Poll] How would you rate episode 508?

Ran

How would you rate episode 508?  

998 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

It has been established all the way back in season 1 that fire is the only effective weapon against wights. Remember Jon's fight with Othor? But now it seems that they can be put down with an arrow, sword or stomp to the head, yet they seem no worse for wear after jumping off a cliff.

Well, except for all those wights with arrows in them running around. Like that clear shot of a sight with the arrow through his head.

It was clear that they were "killing" the wights, just slowing them down. I mean, the scene ended in a massacre.

1) probably because of Catelyn. GRRM has somewhat poor record of naming his characters with lots of duplicates and lots of questionable choices in naming. Asha and Osha, Drogon The Dragon (Dragon the dragon), Tyrion, Tywin, Cersei and then Kevin and Jamie Lannisters. Granted, Lana of the Canals rhymes in a stupid way too.

2) Nothing happened except the battle went fast and they didn't have time to light their tar buckets. Dunno if it's really established that the wildlings know fire is effective against the wights anyway.

While I thought it was a very good episode I can't myself find how pretty much all the season was "butchery" and "awful" while this episode suddenly was "epic". I think they all have been in different levels of good while this one was a bit better than the rest.

I agree with your assessment of the season except I think Hardhome stands way above the other episodes not because the others have been mediocre but because it's just that good.

It has been established all the way back in season 1 that fire is the only effective weapon against wights. Remember Jon's fight with Othor? But now it seems that they can be put down with an arrow, sword or stomp to the head, yet they seem no worse for wear after jumping off a cliff.

Is Jon a wildling? I find the notion baffling that all the characters who never have met should have all the same knowledge in the show that the viewers have. I mean it's possible that Hardhome has HBO and the wildlings watched the Othor The Other episode but somehow I doubt it.

I agree with your assessment of the season except I think Hardhome stands way above the other episodes not because the others have been mediocre but because it's just that good.

You may be well right. I have only watched it once so far and the Walking Dead aspect of the zombies threw me off a bit, not because the zombies here were particulary bad but because the Walking Dead tends to be rather bad and I was like "oh, the show does Walking Dead now" :)

Anyhow, my fav list, while similar to others written here is different in regards that I would place The Children right up there with The Rains of Castamere and And Now His Watch Is Ended. Blackwater, while very good, did not do it for me all that much and Watchers too. I find them merely good.

You may be well right. I have only watched it once so far and the Walking Dead aspect of the zombies threw me off a bit, not because the zombies here were particulary bad but because the Walking Dead tends to be rather bad and I was like "oh, the show does Walking Dead now" :)

Anyhow, my fav list, while similar to others written here is different in regards that I would place The Children right up there with The Rains of Castamere and And Now His Watch Is Ended. Blackwater, while very good, did not do it for me all that much and Watchers too. I find them merely good.

TBF, the zombies in TWD are nothing like what we saw in Hardhome. The only real comparison I can think of is WWZ zombies.

TBF, the zombies in TWD are nothing like what we saw in Hardhome. The only real comparison I can think of is WWZ zombies.

A zombie is a zombie is a zombie. If you seen them a little too many they all feel ridiculous. I got it that GOT at least tried to do the zombies a bit different than Zombieland. The inherent problem is mostly in the premise not the execution.

I also think it's the numbers thing. Othor the Other (comeon, Othor the Other, Drogon the Dragon and Lancel the Lannister were on the plane when the fuel ran out...) alone was allot scarier than millions of wights climbing the fence, much like Alien the movie was times more scary than Aliens the movie.

Edited by jacksonbrowne

I love "The Children" episode. It's in my top 5, but it might be my #5 because the Bran scenes were not the best and the Tyrion/Tywin confrontation was just missing a small something.

I think it's my whole time fav episode. The skeletons and a grenade launcher chick... well I sort of pretend they didn't exist. Otherwise I think it reached a narrative pinnacle the show hadn't yet been able to

Is Jon a wildling? I find the notion baffling that all the characters who never have met should have all the same knowledge in the show that the viewers have. I mean it's possible that Hardhome has HBO and the wildlings watched the Othor The Other episode but somehow I doubt it.

:laugh:

I feel the same way about all the people who say "Why don't the wights swim after the Jon and the Wildlings?"

Why the hell should they be able to swim? Are swimming lessons a common thing in a place where the water is colder than an Eskimo's areshole? Do people think that wights magically gain magic swimming powers upon resurrection?

Common sense. It ain't that common.

Your explanation for the wights and others not going into the water is "they can't swim"?

Nope. That was my explanation for why they don't swim after them.

I suppose they could walk along the bottom, but it seems to me that it would be slow going...

A zombie is a zombie is a zombie. If you seen them a little too many they all feel ridiculous. I got it that GOT at least tried to do the zombies a bit different than Zombieland. The inherent problem is mostly in the premise not the execution.

I also think it's the numbers thing. Othor the Other (comeon, Othor the Other, Drogon the Dragon and Lancel the Lannister were on the plane when the fuel ran out...) alone was allot scarier than millions of wights climbing the fence, much like Alien the movie was times more scary than Aliens the movie.

Zombies are depicted very differently across the genre. The type that GoT has is very different from most zombies, and they are nothing like TWD zombies, which was my point. TWD zombies are slow, stupid (after season 1), uncoordinated and easily killed. Basically, the entire premise of that show is incredibly unbelievable considering just how easy the zombies are to defend against.

The zombies we saw in GoT are fast, relentless and being controlled by intelligent beings. Their only weaknesses are fire and being ripped to shreds, but short of that, they can't be stopped. That's a very scary combination.

Having grown up with 'special effects' in the 60s and 70s, I guess I am not as bothered by the Harryhausen effects, as they were amazing to see at the time. I assume most posters here grew up with CGI effects, therefore wouldn't understand the sense of nostalgia I feel when watching the skeletons - much like most young people have no idea how freaking amazing the werewolf transformation was in An American Werewolf in London, or the awe we felt when Stars Wars first came out in the 70s, or the real fear of Bruce the shark in Jaws, and the horror of Regan's possession in The Exorcist. All very dated movies, but damn! When we first saw them, the effects were mind-blowing.

Now that CGI is so prevalent, there seems to be little appreciation for the other, older styles.

As for zombies in the water, they probably would walk along the bottom of the lake/ocean, and if that was shown, then the complaints would be about how unoriginal the showrunners are, because that's so Pirates of the Caribbean. :dunno:

Having grown up with 'special effects' in the 60s and 70s, I guess I am not as bothered by the Harryhausen effects, as they were amazing to see at the time. I assume most posters here grew up with CGI effects, therefore wouldn't understand the sense of nostalgia I feel when watching the skeletons - much like most young people have no idea how freaking amazing the werewolf transformation was in An American Werewolf in London, or the awe we felt when Stars Wars first came out in the 70s, or the real fear of Bruce the shark in Jaws, and the horror of Regan's possession in The Exorcist. All very dated movies, but damn! When we first saw them, the effects were mind-blowing.

Now that CGI is so prevalent, there seems to be little appreciation for the other, older styles.

As for zombies in the water, they probably would walk along the bottom of the lake/ocean, and if that was shown, then the complaints would be about how unoriginal the showrunners are, because that's so Pirates of the Caribbean. :dunno:

Honestly, I like the idea that they don't go in the water, because if they can, why would the Wall stop them from invading Westeros? That's something I didn't get about the books.

Edited by sj4iy

Honesty, I like the idea that they don't go in the water, because if they can, why would the Wall stop them from invading Westeros? That's something I didn't get about the books.

Maybe like in Alien Nation, salt water affects them in a way to make them avoid the sea. But, yeah, it'd make the wall moot if they could just walk under the sea.

I agree.

It's amazing how everyone seems to know that Roose Bolton stabbed Robb.

The wildlings have been fighting against the wights and White Walkers longer than Jon Snow had. Osha, a wildling, knew to use fire to burn down her hut with her wight husband inside. And wildlings such as Ygritte and Rattleshirt have been saying to burn the bodies.

I agree.

It's amazing how everyone seems to know that Roose Bolton stabbed Robb.

I assume you're speaking of Stannis and Littlefinger. Stannis may have been speaking metaphorically. After all, plunging a dagger into a heart also means an act of betrayal. Littlefinger could have heard it from a number of sources, including Roose Bolton himself.

I give it a 10. I just loved this episode and can't wait to see what's next.

Highs:

Arya stuff was pleasantly close to the books.

Tyrion and Dany...I loved it even if it's a bootleg version of what we're in for in the books because damn if the Dinkles doesn't kill it.

Cersei slurping water out of a puddle to the strains of TROC.

Jorah just doesn't give up. Instead of going bitter and trying to hurt his Khaleesi (a la show!Shae) he finds new and more painful ways to get back in her good graces.

Ramsay dropping "a feast for the crows".

Lows:

That we only had an hour of this awesomeness because next week it's back to Dorne.

I also thought that seeing Jorah, a man exiled for slave trading in Westeros, reduced to selling himself BACK INTO SLAVERY to impress his Queen was really rich.