[Poll] How would you rate episode 508?

Ran

How would you rate episode 508?  

998 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

wel il give my opinion about this

-TYRION/DANY: i loved his talk with dany it was for no batter term..human..no big speeches no dramatic lines,exept dany's but il go in that later

i loved the acting top notch..you could see the pain in dany's eyes when she exiled jorah again..and what the scene gave us is in my opinion a nice character development...in a TV show you lack the iner monologue so you need to show,and this scene did it in my opinion...it showed tyrion as a pragmatic person altough! with a very little grain of idealism....this scene also showed the type of person dany is,a very idealistic one,but who is slowly loosing it,because the sons of the harpy,selmy's death etc.

ARYA;not much to talk the training goes on.il wait to see tommorow when i hope she confronts trant.im a bit biased ere tough because i never did find her training in the book so interesting either.

SANSA/THEON;yes theon,i saw the first glimse of theon coming back.loved seeing sansa being more brave trying to get a raction from theon and then....success he breaks,for a brief second nonetheless,but for the first time...as always top notch acting

ROOSE/RAMSEY:nice scene showing us again the different character traits between the two...roose the strategist,calm calculated,patience...and ramsey,reckless,arogant..but also a bit of tactics,considerably less then roose,but a tiny bit

HARDHOME; no need to talk here everything was said

in conclusion 10/10

any opinions are welcome

Sorry I'm late replying.

Linda's review on this epsiode and I have to say I agree with linda that the fast wights took away the scare and made it look almost comical. Not in a laugh out loud way but in a way it made me amused and a bit curious.

Why?

Aren't fast ones more threatening?

I guess people got so used to Walking dead that they dont like this.

I liked resident evil and world war Z zombies. Fast, hungry and they will do anything for human meat.

Some people had a problem with wights jumping off the cliff. How could brittle skeleton jump?

D&D explained it. Just like the zombies I mentioned above, wights have no reasoning. They will jump into a chipping machine if needed, they just dont care.

An extremely poisonous snail in large numbers is very less scary than a swarm of fast spiders.

Likewise slow wights seemed so not threatening in Season 2. The couldnt even climb the wall. The fast ones armed with kniwes and swords were much more dangerous. They would try to attack the tunnels.

I dont get the comedy though :(

Edited by robasp2

Gave it a 6. Just gonna copy paste my post from another thread.

It was a good episode, especially when compared to what we got before but nothing extraordinary or mind-blowing.

Hardhome:

It was good, but I have a few issues with it, namely:

- wights on crack - why are the wights so incredibly fast? I know there's a technical term for this, some scenes are played with increased speed - is it frames per second or whatever? It may give the feel of 'more action' but it's incredibly less scary for me. They didn't have to play them too slow, but more of a lumbering menace that won't be stopped easily. Here it was the opposite: they're incredibly fast, but can be killed pretty much by anything from stomping on their heads to common swords?

- FIRE was not used at ALL. WTF. Why? So many things at hand that could have been set on fire to help give them more time at least. First that comes to mind is the palisades/fences. Didn't understand that.

- I don't like the wildlings costumes. I read the explanation (very interesting btw) about how they have to deal/cut fabric, but it's the actual fabric I really dislike. In fact, I've disliked it since s 2 (was it 2?). It looks... wrong. I don't like the spotty look, and it reminds me too much of a videogame snow cammo.

- I cannot bring myself to like the look of their WWs. It changed too, didn't it? From s 1, to the scene on the FotFM, etc. But none of them look right to me. I guess I've been spoiled by John Picacio's WW.

- Why is everyone waiting for Jon to start yelling, 'row! ROW!!!' They're just sitting there. Were they waiting for the giant to catch up with the boat? Because that's when Jon starts to yell. Another WTF.

- cameras being held by people having seizures never works for me as it makes me feel nausea.

- Really liked the Not Val wildling (Karsi) but it was sooooo bloody obvious she was going to die, and not just because she said 'brb'.

Let's see: beautiful strong independent woman who is also a caring and loving mother? OF COURSE SHE HAS TO DIE, WE CAN'T HAVE THAT. *sigh*

I'm starting to feel that showrunners have a problem with motherhood too. Like, it makes you stupid.

So, it's not just honour that will get you killed; if you're a caring and loving mother, bad things will happen to you.

KL:

Ok. Lena was good. I'm mostly happy they gave Anton Lesser a couple of lines. I'm really tired of awesome fantastic actors being cast, and then given absolutely nothing to do/work with.

Tommen and the age retcon: he went from not being old enough to attend small council meetings to being old enough to have sex to not being old enough to stand up to anyone/thing, and when his mother and the wife he loves get thrown in prison he locks himself in his royal chambers in a temper tantrum. Basically, his age and behaviour are whatever showrunners want them to be at any given moment.

Winterhell:

Well, it seems Sansa bounced right back from her wedding night (and all subsequent nights of abuse, however many there were) because she's all assertive now, and even wants to torture Theon or whatever. I can barely bring myself to look at the screen when Winterfell's on. Theon is remarkably more Theon and less Reek - I guess he's regaining his identity mostly off-screen.

Ramsay and his 20 good men: I hope he doesn't forget his lucky silk pink pj bottoms, he's gonna need 'em.

Meereen:

So very underwhelming, gawd. St Tyrion is not sure whether Dany deserves him as an adviser. :rolleyes:

Jorah is just standing there, sad puppy face.

Dany's not sure whether to kill Tyrion, but in the blink of an eye she's all alone with him, drinking and chatting. Why did they leave Dorne out? Because this plot is ahead of the Dorne plot (if there's even a Dorne plot in show verse), and it shouldn't. Or am I missing something?

The Wall:

So, Sam & Gilly are living together? Because that's what it looked like to me. Whatever. I'm always happy to see John Bradley, but now Sam's there so we can have more ChekhOlly. Dear me. The thing with what they've done with the kid is, at this point, it will be utterly ridiculous if he takes part in the Ides and even more ridiculous if he doesn't!

As a matter of fact, there's no context to anything at the Wall. Not one second has been spent on building up tension at CB so I'm fully expecting the Ides to take the cake as most underwhelming scene this year.

And please, PLEASE!!!! Stop saying Gilly's son is a baby!!!

'I'm going to feed baby Sam.' Why not at least, 'I'm going to feed little Sam.

It's not that fucking hard, for the love of 'please make some sense!'.

Phew. So, all in all better than previous episodes, but still quite a few issues. And I'm sure I've forgotten stuff, probably good and bad to be fair.

Why?

I guess people got so used to Walking dead that they dont like this.

I liked resident evil and world war Z zombies. Fast, hungry and they will do anything for human meat.

Some people had a problem with wights jumping off the cliff. How could brittle skeleton jump?

D&D explained it. Just like the zombies I mentioned above, wights have no reasoning. They will jump into a chipping machine if needed, they just dont care.

An extremely poisonous snail in large numbers is very less scary than a swarm of fast spiders.

Likewise slow wights seemed so not threatening in Season 2. The couldnt even climb the wall. The fast ones armed with kniwes and swords were much more dangerous. They would try to attack the tunnels.

I dont get the comedy though :(

So just because you liked does it mean that faster zombies wights are more dangerous? It had already been established in season 2 that the wights could only be killed by setting them on fire while in this episode we had wights which could be stopped by shooting arrows at their heads, wights which would keep going when half their head was gone and skyrim skeletons which didn't become a pile of bones after jumping off of that cliff. Also I don't remember the wights snarling like rabid dogs before this episode.

Why?

They are, if you can do it right. D&D didn't do it right.

They had their movements all messed up, seriously every step they took looked like they were about to fall over.

And their scratching and noises just made them look like (forgive my language) retarded dogs. There was nothing frightening about it. It looked silly, cheap and amusing.

Amusing because these wights looked like retarded dogs, looked like they were about to fall over and had no idea how to walk or move with every step they took and because the scratching and noises were so not frightening.

But that's just my opinion.

Edited by Nights Kings Consort

Let start with 5

There were no gratuitous sex scenes: +3

Dany & Tyrion: -2

Arya Cockels: +1

"Lana" instead of Cat: -1

Olly: - 2

Sansa finds out about Rickon and Bran: +1

Whights: +1 (just because I started to laugh)

Wildlings: -1 (didn't like how they were portraited)

Wun wun: + 1

No Ghost: -1

Night King?: -2

So conclusion: 3

Wun Wun +11 = 13/10.

I gave it a 9/10*. It was so far the best of the season. And that was due to the past 30 mins. The attack on Hard Home was amazing, and made the rest of the episode kind of forgettable. Love tyrion but, I am so over dani right about now. I don't know if it is the actress or how she is being written( some of both).

Cersei ( or as Phil the Issue guy calls her THRISTY CERSEI :drool:) Loved her licking up water from the floor. How have the Mighty have fallen. :bowdown:

This episode was great, but not even close to the best ones. Didn't have the shock of Rains of Castamere, The Lion and The Rose or The Mountain and The Viper. And sure as hell didn't have the intensity of Blackwater. Even though, great one, great for the fight scenes and to finally get a glimpse of what "winter" is capable of. Solid 9.

BTW, I feel like you have to measure your ratings by the best thing you've ever seen, so I'm curious; to all people who rated this a 10/10, what's your notion of a perfect 10?

So just because you liked does it mean that faster zombies wights are more dangerous? It had already been established in season 2 that the wights could only be killed by setting them on fire while in this episode we had wights which could be stopped by shooting arrows at their heads, wights which would keep going when half their head was gone and skyrim skeletons which didn't become a pile of bones after jumping off of that cliff. Also I don't remember the wights snarling like rabid dogs before this episode.

Having fire in addition to the snow and all the mayhem would have been very difficult in terms of filming, methinks. The solution was to aim at the wights heads which is I think is a good alternative. There's good reason to believe the wights are controlled via their blue eyes so aiming for the head/eyes to destroy them makes sense. We do get a few scenes of direct hits to the eyes.

Ep 8 wins hands down this season. I really enjoyed it. Loved the white walkers, especially the young one. Great job by the make-up artists. I found the last scene kind of pregnant with meaning - I think there's more to that particular white walker than we realize.

Edited by Evolett

4. I can only conclude I saw a different episode from everyone else. The worst episode I've seen yet except when Barristan was killed off. The Battle of Hardholme was a bore to me and took up half the episode. What was particularly stupid was Dany banishing Jorah again and Tormund killing Rattleshirt without anyone retaliating just because he called him a few names. I did like some of the early scenes.