[Poll] How would you rate episode 508?

Ran

How would you rate episode 508?  

998 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

As someone whose only interest in the story revolves around the White Walkers/Northern folk, this episode was fantastic. I was truly afraid for Edd and Wun Wun, and Karsi...poor Karsi. The moment Jon's blade clashed with the WWs blade gave me goosebumps, and the look on the WWs face was priceless.

Whew.

My goodness I seem to rate on a different pattern than other people, maybe because I'm rating on an "all TV shows" scale rather than "normal Game of Thrones" scale. I give it a 9, maybe 9.49 (to avoid rounding up to 10; I believe I've given everything also this season 7, 8, or 9/10). The battle looked great. The Arya stuff was very good. Cersei was very good, and the scene with Qyburn was fantastic. The Thenn + Jon duel with a White Walker was fantastic, and I loved the economic character-building and deaths done with both the Thenn and the Val-figure at Hardhome. I think Sansa's been great for this episode and the previous one. Wun Wun was one of the coolest things ever seen on TV.

But 10 is perfect, and it just wasn't. Tyrion and Dany were in my opinion OK, not great - while I hoped that Tyrion would bring up the Meereen material, I now fear the Meereen material may instead bring Tyrion down. For story weirdness and inconsistency, this episode was a step up on the past few, but where was the fire? Sure the Wildlings are on the run from the wights and Walkers, but they at least know how to use fire to fight the wights - that was long since established as the only real effective way to deal with them. The battle layout seemed too inconsistent, although maybe it'll look better on a rewatch - there are swarms of undead, and they're overrun, and then suddenly it's Tormund and Edd and Wun Wun and Jon with no zombies around. Sometimes the wights keep fighting when they've lost massive chunks of their body, other times an arrow through the skull seems to do them in. The zombies in this episode seemed to go down like orcs, and that doesn't match earlier in the story. There's a massive crowd of people pushed against the outside of the gate, and then suddenly they all presumably, um, back up into the fog to die in screamingly painful but unseen ways? Jon and Tormund seemed to be holding the rear, but suddenly there were lots of people left behind them. With the panicked flight from the beach, how could there have been a boat left for our heroes at the end? Yeah, I know these are all nitpicks, but there are enough of them that I can't justify a 10.

Don't get me wrong - I'm giving at a 9, and I thought it was a fantastic hour of television! - but it wasn't perfect.

Just Fyi, Jon ordered one of the boat drivers, a man of the Night's Watch, to take some wildlings to the main ship and "come back for me." Jon and Tormund ran for several shots to get through the people to the boat.

Tyrion had to, though. If there's one thing this episode did very well (and it did a great many things well) was showing that Tyrion is incredibly smart and intuitive. We've always known that, but cast in front of a new queen he's never met, who is contemplating killing him, Tyrion shows the kind of moxy and quick thinking that he's famous for. What does that have to do with Jorah? I *strongly* suspect that Tyrion knows Jorah has greyscale. Now, admitedly Jorah and greyscale was a stupid writing choice on the writers part in the first place, but there it is. Tyrion doesn't tell Dany why Jorah can't be by her side--only that he can't. Something that makes no sense given everything Tyrion just told Dany about Jorah's love and devotion, not to mention that a ruler should not kill those who are so devoted to her. It's a major disconnect between that and "send him away." So what's the rationale? Tyrion knows that Jorah is sick. And he can't have Jorah being Patient Zero and infecting half of Westeros, not to mention possibly infecting Daenerys herself, the queen Tyrion is trying to win over and advise.

ETA: and why not just tell Dany that Jorah is sick? Because again, Tyrion is a smart cookie. He can tell that when Dany is hesitating about what to do with Jorah, and how she's a mix of happy and mad to see him, that telling Dany that Jorah is sick will only make her cling to him instead of doing what she must. Tyrion knows that Dany is a fan and a supporter of the down trodden, of those in need. Telling Dany that her greatest friend and the man who loves her is dying....not the best way to keep the queen out of harm's way and away from the sickness because Dany would never said Greyscale! Jorah away from her side.

I thought Tyrion said that Jorah couldn't be at Dany's side because he could tell that she hadn't forgiven Jorah yet. Tyrion can read people pretty well when his life depends on it. I don't think he knows about the grey scale. And Dany relaxed just a touch when Jorah left.

Watched it for the fourth time. I think I have to put in my top 5.

In no particular order: Baelor, Blackwater, The Reynes of Castamere, The Children, Hardhome

That's exactly my top 5 as well. You got a good taste, Ser. If we add Fire and Blood, And Now His Watch Is Ended, Kissed By Fire, The Lion and The Rose and The Watchers on The Wall, I think we'll have a pretty nice top 10.

Edited by Barristan Whitebeard

That's exactly my top 5 as well. You got a good taste, Ser. If we add Fire and Blood, And Now His Watch Is Ended, Kissed By Fire, The Lion and The Rose and The Watchers on The Wall, I think we'll have a pretty nice top 10.

That's a great top 10! My 6-10: And Now Is Watch Has Ended, Kissed By Fire, Fire And Blood, The Lion And The Rose, and....Winter Is Coming--I'm still a sucker for the pilot. The chilling opening scene, Lord Stark dispensing justice (Don't look away. Father will know). The direwolves, Arya showing up Bran in archery and the final scene! So many pivotal characters together! After this episode I was hooked on the books and show.

Honorable mentions: The Laws of Gods And Men, The Mountain and the Viper, The Watchers On The Wall, Two Swords, Mockingbird--Yes, season 4 is my favorite.

That's a great top 10! My 6-10: And Now Is Watch Has Ended, Kissed By Fire, Fire And Blood, The Lion And The Rose, and....Winter Is Coming--I'm still a sucker for the pilot. The chilling opening scene, Lord Stark dispensing justice (Don't look away. Father will know). The direwolves, Arya showing up Bran in archery and the final scene! So many pivotal characters together! After this episode I was hooked on the books and show.

Honorable mentions: The Laws of Gods And Men, The Mountain and the Viper, The Watchers On The Wall, Two Swords, Mockingbird--Yes, season 4 is my favorite.

Yes! Winter Is Coming is really great. It's nice to see all the Starks together and happy, before all the chaos and war. Plus, it's a pretty solid episode by itself. Probably the best season premiere (Two Swords is also a contender).

Has to be 10. The Longclaw moment alone was worth 10, but the whole episode was very enjoyable. It only included the better series 5 storylines.

The show makers get some stick (often rightly) but seeing as this episode was largely based on unpublished material, or just made up, they deserve some credit for this one.

Also loved the cool wildling women - so obviously going to die as soon as we found out she was 1) cool 2) says bye to her kids!

not just the rating, but the number of votes in this episode is impressive.

Bizarre that the 5% voting 5 or lower do the majority of the posting on this forum....

Unhappy people need to talk/post the most, I've found. My happiest or most contented friends are usually too busy doing stuff they like to do to take the time to complain about stuff they don't.

I don't often do it but I gave this episode a 10.

Maybe as a whole episode in GoT terms it was only a 9, but I just loved the final shot with the Night's King, arms outstretched as all of those who had fallen on the battlefield stood back up. Genuinely sent shivers down my spine and was one of, if not the best moments TV moments I've experienced, comparable to the final scene in the Sopranos for just how much I loved it.

I loved Arya's storyline, it's my favourite in the books so I'm pleased that out of all of the story threads this is one that is sticking fairly close to source material.

Cersei licking the floor was also a great scene.

It was a shame that they killed the female at Hardhome (Karsi IMDB informs me), as this story thread (really THE story thread) could use some interesting female characters, but I loved how they did it.

The only thing I wasn't too sure on is that I think Dany is getting worse as an actress and character, maybe it's harsh on the actress, I feel her dialogue isn't as profound as the writers think and it felt a bit wooden between her and Tyrion. Maybe the scene with Sansa and Reek felt a bit forced/contrived too, but only because their last scenes weren't fresh in my mind.

The hardhome sequence made this episode a 10. i don't give ten's easily. it just had everything i would've pictured happening at hardhome in there except our boy jon snow was there with longclaw to up the anxiety. loved it

Oh and Cersei saved the rest of the episode being boring. 10/10 for lena headey.

Watched it for the fourth time. I think I have to put in my top 5.

In no particular order: Baelor, Blackwater, The Reynes of Castamere, The Children, Hardhome

Mine is now:

1. Hardhome

2. Watchers on the Wall

3. Baelor

4. Rains of Castamere

5. Kissed by Fire

This episode was that good to me. Samsa finding out her brothers were alive, Theon finally telling someone that, Dany and Tyrion meeting, Cersei getting bitchslapped with a spoon, and the appearance of White Walkers and their army as well as the confirmation that Valyrian steel kills WW...this is what I've been waiting for since I finished ADWD. This is what I wanted from that story. So it has to be my new #1.

9.5/10. Certainly my favourite episode of the series thus far.

Only a few minor nitpicks:

Why Lana instead of Cat?

Whatever happened to only fire being an effective weapon against wights? Seems like any old weapon will do from now on or just stamp on their heads.

Not a fan of the skeleton wights. They just look silly and remind me of that one scene in Scary Movie 2. Why are these people running from Calista Flockhart?

Olly sucks as usual

Dany's "i'm going to break the wheel" made me laugh.

BIG plus: No Dorne. That whole plotline has dragged down the season. Also, I feel that the show has done a better job than the books at setting up The Others as an existential threat.

9.5/10. Certainly my favourite episode of the series thus far.

Only a few minor nitpicks:

Why Lana instead of Cat?

Whatever happened to only fire being an effective weapon against wights? Seems like any old weapon will do from now on or just stamp on their heads.

1) probably because of Catelyn. GRRM has somewhat poor record of naming his characters with lots of duplicates and lots of questionable choices in naming. Asha and Osha, Drogon The Dragon (Dragon the dragon), Tyrion, Tywin, Cersei and then Kevin and Jamie Lannisters. Granted, Lana of the Canals rhymes in a stupid way too.

2) Nothing happened except the battle went fast and they didn't have time to light their tar buckets. Dunno if it's really established that the wildlings know fire is effective against the wights anyway.

While I thought it was a very good episode I can't myself find how pretty much all the season was "butchery" and "awful" while this episode suddenly was "epic". I think they all have been in different levels of good while this one was a bit better than the rest.

2) Nothing happened except the battle went fast and they didn't have time to light their tar buckets. Dunno if it's really established that the wildlings know fire is effective against the wights anyway.

It has been established all the way back in season 1 that fire is the only effective weapon against wights. Remember Jon's fight with Othor? But now it seems that they can be put down with an arrow, sword or stomp to the head, yet they seem no worse for wear after jumping off a cliff.