Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

Chebyshov

:lol:

Hey, Emilia has read the books. MAYBE SHE'S SABOTAGING FROM THE INSIDE, K?

I think she's just tired of seating on a bench (where's Barristan with the cushions? Oh, right, he dead) for seasons on end and just wants to move to greener, more Terminator-ish pastures

I guess that could be it, but it still doesn't really make sense to me. Testing them to what purpose? It seems like their goal is to wipe out as many people as possible and turn them into wights so that they can have an unstoppable army to destroy everyone living in the world. Really I just think it was to have a dramatic climax to the whole scene, as little sense as it made.

The way I interpreted the Waymar scene was that he was just one guy, the Others knew that one of them was sufficient to take him, they were actually laughing about the whole fight. Now that their army is on the move, though, I think they would have just gone in for the immediate kill.

Is that their goal? It may be because I just think having these zombies who's only purpose is to kill everything is too boring for GRRM, but ever since that first prologue I've had a tough time buying that htat's really what they are up to. Seems much more like they are looking for some humans with whom to work/negotiate/team-up -with.

Whether to fight the Children, to fight the dragons, to fight other Others, to secure their lands, or what I don't know, but I just feel like they've got a lot more going on than just absolute slaughter.

So Cersei has been taken to jail. A raven is sent to Casterly Rock and Kevin comes back. So when did the mean Septa's start teasing Cersei with water? It couldn't have been right away because she'd be dead by now. Or did Batfinger loan Kevin a jetpack to help him get around?

Regarding the 2nd wave of wights, I'd think you still need muscle and unbroken bones to move, or rather sprint like crazed zombies. A 200 foot fall would leave neither in particularly working order.

Then again, a skeleton has nothing and still can move. As someone said, might as well animate rocks and have them roll over everybody.

Is that their goal? It may be because I just think having these zombies who's only purpose is to kill everything is too boring for GRRM, but ever since that first prologue I've had a tough time buying that htat's really what they are up to. Seems much more like they are looking for some humans with home to work/negotiate/team-up -with.

Well they certainly had SOME kind of deal going with Craster and it seems kind of clear that the Night's King was a Stark ... So they are not the mindless killing machines of zombie movies - they have the capacity to plan and have goals. I wonder if there is something about how they must be ruled by a human or whether their "Small Council" is staffed by former humans rather than being a whole different species (like the giants or the Children of the Forest.) I too think there is more to them - maybe they are recruiting Jon because of his ancestry and/or importance?

Dany sucks. So bad. The acting is terrible. I'm ready for her to be recast at this point.

Yes, it was so funny when in the pyramid, Missandei was emoting for/ instead of her in the background...

Why do all the wildlings wear the same clothes? Why did the Wildling woman not fight back in the end? She seemed familiar, have we seen her before? And was the NK not blue the last time we saw him? Did anyone else get a Darth Vader vibe from him, a la "Jon, I am your father"? Yeah, sorry, I wasn't that impressed with the zombie show.

re: Tyrion/ Dany, when he told her she would have no support in Westeros, he conveniently forgot to mention House Martell...

Board is acting up, I haven't read much of this thread yet.

Not Val was awesome. I knew she would die.

And Olly. Geesh I just want to poke him. I get it. You represent the For the Watch guild. If you didn't, Jon probably would have made his steward someone who actually knew what they were doing and the camera wouldn't be on you every five friggin minutes.

Also skeletons are ridiculous.

And Dany is just really grouchy and expressionless all at the same time.

I agree with whoever talked about the Edd scares. Cut it out. If you can't give him his awesome one liners anymore, at least you can keep him alive.

Other than that I don't have much to say because this episode was so much better than most of the others I was almost grateful. At least we're getting into actual winter now. Night's King at the end was fairly creepy.

So Cersei has been taken to jail. A raven is sent to Casterly Rock and Kevin comes back. So when did the mean Septa's start teasing Cersei with water? It couldn't have been right away because she'd be dead by now. Or did Batfinger loan Kevin a jetpack to help him get around?

Jet pack? I imagined it more as the teleportation devices from the Starship Enterprise, where Scotty just has to beam them up.

Why is Stannis in the show? No, seriously. Why did they even bring him back this season? They eliminated everything he does in the fifth book. There's not even going to be a Battle on the Ice, just some stupid ninja raid with Ramsay the Villain Sue and 20 men.

Anyway. That battle was really cheesy. The only good parts were the giant going Rambo and Jon fighting that White Walker. A tip to all writers: showing your character swinging a sword around is NOT a substitute for showing him actually leading.

Sansa and Reek was just... what. So like, she's a STRONK REVENGE FEMALE now? She wants to torture Theon and cut off his fingers and toes like Ramsay did? And Reek goes back to Theon just because she yelled at him? Could they miss the point of either characters' arc any more?

At least Roose talked. So Stannis has 6,000 men now, presumably not including the mercs that deserted last episode. Half are mounted, about 1/3 are mercenaries. Why they chose to give Stannis more men than Roose and cut the Northern lords, I have no idea.

Dany is stupid. At least they're being faithful in that area. I enjoyed Tyrion pointing out that no one in Westeros likes her, that they're all stronger than her, and that her plan makes no sense. Speaking of which, Tyrion. He can instantly become Dany's top adviser with no effort or trouble. He also trusts Varys unconditionally, and trusts his brother too, even though mean old Larry wants to kill him. What a great guy!

I think she's just tired of seating on a bench (where's Barristan with the cushions? Oh, right, he dead) for seasons on end and just wants to move to greener, more Terminator-ish pastures

Could you blame her? :dunno: She might be actually envying Barristan's fate. "Damn, Khaleesi... why can you just die?"

Well....as far as the season goes, this episode was actually alright to me. I enjoyed seeing Arya finally do something, but yeah changing her name *sigh*. Really annoyed by the convo between Dany and Tyrion. Tyrion being like "B**** you better respect", I mean come on. Why is she even amusing him as such, she's the one with all the power. And then she just takes him on as advisor to westeros.....well how convenient the position has opened up (R.I.P Barristan). Oh and gees.... Jorah, sucks to be you, going through all the trouble of being enslaved and getting greyscale along the way....all for naught. It would have been nice of The almighty and great Tyrion to throw Jorah a bone since he did save his life. Since Dany is at his command, why not tell her to forgive Jorah. I jest....what 'evs.

Oh Olly, Sam pretty much gave you the green light to do what "must be done for the greater good" or however it was put. I mean Jon's betrayal was a major wtf moment (at least to me...didn't see it coming) and it's all pretty much being spelled out to the viewers. Everybody is gonna be like "I knew that was going to happen!" and pat themselves on the back. Oh and Sam pretty much told us "Don't worry Jon always comes back". The writing, producing is very amateurish to me.

I just can't like KL, knowing how it should have played out.

WF, meh. Sansa is a very strong woman I'll give her that. Really hiding the fact that she's abused every night. Good for her. I liked her knowing her brothers were alive, that was at least nice, seeing as someone has to go find Rickon.

Thank God no Dorne, but so no letter to Jaime???? hmmm

Hardhome, didn't hate it actually, but unnecessary. Don't like how they are depicting the weights and others. Weren't the others supposed to be beautiful in their own way? They remind me of some type of aliens you'd find on Star Trek. The "previously on GOT" pretty much spoiled it about valarian steel, so saw that coming. Good to know. Really liked that Wildling chick, sad she didn't make it. Thought she might be taking Val's place.

Well can't wait to see what the rest of you think....I think there's been 40 posts while I've been writing this.

I agree with whoever talked about the Edd scares. Cut it out. If you can't give him his awesome one liners anymore, at least you can keep him alive.

And mostly unsullied have no even idea of why is he called Dolorous.

Sansa and Reek was just... what. So like, she's a STRONK REVENGE FEMALE now? She wants to torture Theon and cut off his fingers and toes like Ramsay did? And Reek goes back to Theon just because she yelled at him? Could they miss the point of either characters' arc any more?

Yes. Didn't you have the memo? HBO's strong female characters = violent psychopaths.

Dany is stupid. At least they're being faithful in that area. I enjoyed Tyrion pointing out that no one in Westeros likes her, that they're all stronger than her, and that her plan makes no sense.

But that's not true... a lot of people in Westeros do want the dragons back. Of course, in show, no one knows or care but still...

Well they certainly had SOME kind of deal going with Craster and it seems kind of clear that the Night's King was a Stark ... So they are not the mindless killing machines of zombie movies - they have the capacity to plan and have goals. I wonder if there is something about how they must be ruled by a human or whether their "Small Council" is staffed by former humans rather than being a whole different species (like the giants or the Children of the Forest.) I too think there is more to them - maybe they are recruiting Jon because of his ancestry and/or importance?

Agreed on Craster establishing that in certain contexts they will work with humans. And agreed on them vetting Jon. My crackpot for the books is that the Others end up with Jon's body because the NW turning on their LC lets the Others through the wall (as long as the NW stays true and all that jazz) and they capture the Nightfort before Mel can revive Jon, and so they revive Jon with Ice magic instead of Fire magic.

When did the wights become taller versions of the murderous pygmies from "The Mummy Returns"? I was watching for Brendan Fraser to come running through and start swashbuckling them to death.

This made me laugh so, so hard.

Yeah, I'll probably be given a lot of shit for not liking the battle, but I seriously thought it was underwhelming. It was totally the "throw so much shit at you so fast that you don't have time to think about it." Sure it was impressive in some respects, especially for TV, but really I've seen better choreographed and shot fight scenes in otherwise really terrible movies. I'm not going to lose my mind just because one of them happened to be in Game of Thrones.

I'm in the same boat and I got grief for it in the spoiler thread. A busy battle scene does not necessarily make a good battle scene.

Only after Dany offers Tyrion marriage (she can annul her Hizdahr marriage or whatever) and he turns her down because he's still mourning Shae.

Nope. He will end up with Sansa after she asks forgiveness for being so mean to him when they first wed.

Winterfell became a soap opera in my opinion and I think Ramsay will die this season in the show (the way he wants to go in a suicidal mission hinted that).

Braavos was fine today, I like Arya's scene, it was the only book scene we had this episode, despite the fact Jaqen wasn't supposed to be there.

Daenerys and Tyrion talk was boring and of course, filler (I don't think it was a spoiler, as in the books they are far away from each other, he is in Meereen and she is in the Dothraki Sea.

Cersei's scenes were awesome, I liked how she is suffering, just like she was in the books.

Hardhome, of course it was filler, we won't even see Hardhome, they already too the people from there away in the books and Jon was never there (I think the wildlings there were taken away by slavers, IIRC)

Sam and Gilly are too obvious, they had no discretion anymore, what the hell happened to the vows? In the books Sam would have been beheaded if he was obvious like that with Gilly.

Remember in the books when Sam really, really struggled with his vows? Yeah, that added great depth to his character and the relationship between Sam and Gilly. Too bad the show has no place for that.

Arya should've killed that nobody episodes ago. They're dragging this shit more than RuPaul.

RuPaul's Drag Race is the best!

Not much to complain about this episode...Clarke's acting still sucks.

Jorah's pit plan makes no sense.

Hopefully Jorah dies in the pit.

Could you blame her? :dunno: She might be actually envying Barristan's fate. "Damn, Khaleesi... why can you just die?"

Yes i can, because shes fucking awful. Shes always been fucking awful for the majority of the entire show, and im not confident that shes not going to fucking awful in any body of work she'll ever touch. She. Sucks. Period. Even in well written scenes, shes ass. I blame her because goddamn. Ive put up with five seasons of her being a fucking paper bag and im tired of it. I blame Emilia Clarke for being shitty.

Archived