Tyrion's suggestion to Dany

Dragon_Rider

Once Dany tells Tyrion she wants him to advise her, the first thing he says is perhaps she should seek a different cause than conquering the Seven Kingdoms, that she might be best staying in Essos instead of sitting on the Iron Throne. I've always speculated, as have many others of course, that ultimately Dany will turn down the Iron Throne and will realize she wants something else. Tyrion apparently is the first to sow this seed of doubt in her mind, and with this conversation the show may have really spoiled the direction in which Dany's storyline will take towards the end. What do you guys think?

She will choose to return to the house with the red door, return to a remote life.

Something like this, yes. Jon being a Targaryen with a better claim gives her a way out. She reminds me a lot of Buffy: all Buffy wanted was a normal life but she was chosen to be a slayer to fight evil and beat back the darkness. She was the "prophecy girl" and all the responsibility of saving the world fell on her shoulders. But then she creates an army of slayers so it's no longer just her responsibility. She could lead a normal life and the world would have thousands of protectors.

Dany will do her part to save the world and Jon Targaryen (Stark, whatever) will be there to share the rule or take over completely while she stops being the prophecy girl.

Something like this, yes. Jon being a Targaryen with a better claim gives her a way out. She reminds me a lot of Buffy: all Buffy wanted was a normal life but she was chosen to be a slayer to fight evil and beat back the darkness. She was the "prophecy girl" and all the responsibility of saving the world fell on her shoulders. But then she creates an army of slayers so it's no longer just her responsibility. She could lead a normal life and the world would have thousands of protectors.

Dany will do her part to save the world and Jon Targaryen (Stark, whatever) will be there to share the rule or take over completely while she stops being the prophecy girl.

Wooo, spoiler alert on Buffy. I just haven't had a chance to watch it yet, ha.

Once Dany tells Tyrion she wants him to advise her, the first thing he says is perhaps she should seek a different cause than conquering the Seven Kingdoms, that she might be best staying in Essos instead of sitting on the Iron Throne. I've always speculated, as have many others of course, that ultimately Dany will turn down the Iron Throne and will realize she wants something else. Tyrion apparently is the first to sow this seed of doubt in her mind, and with this conversation the show may have really spoiled the direction in which Dany's storyline will take towards the end. What do you guys think?

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I always thought that, in the end, Dany will decide to stay in Essos and rebuild the Valyrian empire.

I do agree that Dany may give up the throne. After all, in ADwD she has almost forgotten about it, it has been something what meant to do in a faraway future (if ever). She doesn't really care about power, but about finding home.

I have also always thought that she would find the Iron Throne repugnant. In Meereen she prefers a much more simple seat, the bench.

OTOH I've never understood why people think that Jon has the better claim. He may be Rhaegar's son, but

1, he's in the Night's Watch, which means he is sworn to never wear any crown; and 2, he's most likely a bastard, which would make his claim very weak even if he wasn't a black brother, since a, the Targs didn't do the polygamy since Maegor the Cruel, so it's highly debatable if polygamous marriages are considered legitimate in the first place and b, he'd have to convince people that the ceremony took place. Even if Rhaegar and Lyanna said the words to each other, it means little, because marriage is a man-made institution, therefore if men consider it invalid, it's invalid.

Not saying she couldn't appoint him her heir or anything, but atm he's far far bellow her where the claim is concerned.

I think Dany will end up on Dragonstone. I think they have a red door there and Targs seem to like it.

Dragonstone is also good for dragons and I think Dany's visions in season 2 show that she will turn away from all temptations, the throne and family, to look after her dragons.

I think Dany will end up on Dragonstone. I think they have a red door there and Targs seem to like it.

Dragonstone is also good for dragons and I think Dany's visions in season 2 show that she will turn away from all temptations, the throne and family, to look after her dragons.

I like this.

I've never been down with the idea of Dany staying in Essos, she's lived in 13 different places there and has never felt at home (except for her early childhood in Braavos and for a brief period with the Dothraki).

Dragonstone, however, is her actual home and she might find solace in that it is her ancestral home as well. Family being so important to Dany.

Jon, maybe. But I think some other secret Targaryen might be possible as well, or even another character?

I think the dragons are there to fight the others and the ones who will ride them (Jon, Tyrion and Dany) are destined to fight the others, not to rule. So neither of them will end up on the throne, but they will either be dead or leave it to someone with energy left, such as Sansa, or another character.

I think some lines in the show are just lines to set up catchy dialogue, leading up to something (in this case 'the wheel' speech), not to be taken to literally. In this case there was also a bit of revision for slow audience members. Who will support Dany, why isn't the smallfolk enough. But nothing serious. I mean, they even forgot to mention Dorne.

We know Tyrion is there to serve (and to get vengeance on his sister) and he has nothing but good intentions with Daenerys. And then the only house who might really support them he would forget? A bit unlikely since he had been confronted quite intensely with the Dornish and their appetite for revenge over the loss of their Elia and two children.

This specific part of the conversation was just lousy writing, building up to her wheel speech. You could also interpret it as Tyrion testing how motivated she is without really setting up a plan. They are testing each other, not making plans.

I absolutely loved the confrontation btw, I could see a lot of chemistry up there. They are so well fitted as a duo! He already putted her on her place when she started raving about Varys :D The brilliant point about those two is that they are exactly what the other need and appreciate each other for that. Dany will not kill or disapprove of Tyrion when he doesn't manage to keep his tongue: he already mentioned Jaime when she was still 'making her decision' and got away with it.

It was actually exactly how I imagined it would be. Tyrion half on trial in her big throne room and then offered a private audition where he is his honest self and it clicks. I loved how he referred to Shae/his fathers death, and how she warned him not to get drunk. Both seemed promises of an intimate friendship. Overall the whole thing was much better executed as I ever imagined (for the show, I expect much better from the books). What I really hated was that this was not a point of view chapter. I want to know what she thinks of him, or event more, what he thinks of her.

As lousy as some of the writing may be, I think that particular line by Tyrion wasn't one of them. It's a real test, I think, to question her true motivations. The Iron Throne has always been her brother's ambition, and what Ser Jorah and the rest are telling her to do. But to me she seems to want something else for herself, and only "wants" the Iron Throne because she is the last Targaryen.

So I don't think it was just for build-up. I suspect it's a big hint of what's to come. She will make it to Westeros with her dragons to fight against the Others/White Walkers, but then what? I don't think she will sit on the Iron Throne if given the choice. She'll either refuse it, back someone else as King or outright destroy it.

The Throne was forged by dragon fire and she can have Drogon melt it down and dissolve the Seven Kingdoms. The power of the Iron Throne is as much a bane to the common people as the tyrannical lords they serve after all. Now that would be the way to "destroy the wheel"--by destroying the ultimate "chair".

On the topic of Jon, I think (assuming he is indeed revived or somehow survived the mutiny) he is more likely to be the "hero" of the story. He won't sit the throne but he will stop the WW army somehow.

As far as Dany goes, I've never really thought she would end up sitting the throne. Dragons or no dragons, I'm not sure it's in the cards for her. She would also be essentially the first ruling Queen which would be a large change for the people of Westeros.

She needs to go to Asshai first anyway...

On the topic of Jon, I think (assuming he is indeed revived or somehow survived the mutiny) he is more likely to be the "hero" of the story. He won't sit the throne but he will stop the WW army somehow.

As far as Dany goes, I've never really thought she would end up sitting the throne. Dragons or no dragons, I'm not sure it's in the cards for her. She would also be essentially the first ruling Queen which would be a large change for the people of Westeros.

He may be the hero of the story but clearly he'll need Dany's dragons in the fight. Anyway, off topic.

The Iron Throne is not for either of them, I think. Jon is the hero and therefore will likely die sacrificing himself. Dany will refuse the Throne and will eventually want something else. However, like banishing slavery in Essos I do see her instituting political reforms in Westeros.

I like this.

I've never been down with the idea of Dany staying in Essos, she's lived in 13 different places there and has never felt at home (except for her early childhood in Braavos and for a brief period with the Dothraki).

Dragonstone, however, is her actual home and she might find solace in that it is her ancestral home as well. Family being so important to Dany.

remember the dragon stone she had in Dothraki sea ..

i dont know why but i am getting the feeling that dany will return to vaes dothrak after the war with others ...she was happy in dothraki sea ..

maybe that vision in HOTU where dosh khallen bowing may happen after the war and not in WOW

I like this.

and speaking of Dragonstone in Dothraki sea ..

did you notice dany already telling that meereen is not her home and westeros is her home ...i am not sure what they are going to do in the last episode since she already knows that meereen is not her home ..

writing of dany has been all over the place this season ..

remember the dragon stone she had in Dothraki sea ..

i dont know why but i am getting the feeling that dany will return to vaes dothrak after the war with others ...she was happy in dothraki sea ..

maybe that vision in HOTU where dosh khallen bowing may happen after the war and not in WOW

Dany was happy with the Dothraki because of Drogo, not because of the Dothraki themselves. Although she respects them, they aren't her people. I don't really see her settletling with them.

I'm pretty sure that the vision of the Dosh Khaleen bowing down to her happens in TWOW when she get's declared TSTMTW

and speaking of Dragonstone in Dothraki sea ..

did you notice dany already telling that meereen is not her home and westeros is her home ...i am not sure what they are going to do in the last episode since she already knows that meereen is not her home ..

writing of dany has been all over the place this season ..

Well, that wasn't the big realization of her Vision Quest, the realization was that she was a dragon, the Mother of Dragons and she couldn't run away from that or chain it away.

However, they might just nix it and go with something completely different. However, I'm sure she's going to end up in the Dothraki sea and run into some Dothraki khalasar.

The most interesting part of that sequence to me is that she includes herself in the wheel she plans to break. She lists Targaryens along with all the other houses. There's no way that is a slip-up or lousy writing. It's way too obvious so it must be intentional - the writers want to call attention to the fact that she intends to break every house, the entire system, including her own. That sounds like a rejection of the IT to me.

Dany was happy with the Dothraki because of Drogo, not because of the Dothraki themselves. Although she respects them, they aren't her people. I don't really see her settletling with them.

I'm pretty sure that the vision of the Dosh Khaleen bowing down to her happens in TWOW when she get's declared TSTMTW

Well, that wasn't the big realization of her Vision Quest, the realization was that she was a dragon, the Mother of Dragons and she couldn't run away from that or chain it away.

However, they might just nix it and go with something completely different. However, I'm sure she's going to end up in the Dothraki sea and run into some Dothraki khalasar.

yeah i believe it will be in TWOW but its just a thought i got after this episode

i dont say she loved the dothraki people pewr say but that is the place she enjoyed taste of freedom first so i thought she has a connections to it

well apparently they have done that also how she will be mother of dragons when need to be ...like i said the writing is all over the place that said i am also sure she will end up with dothraki in last episode but i dont know what they are planning for her visions before she meets the khalsar

The most interesting part of that sequence to me is that she includes herself in the wheel she plans to break. She lists Targaryens along with all the other houses. There's no way that is a slip-up or lousy writing. It's way too obvious so it must be intentional - the writers want to call attention to the fact that she intends to break every house, the entire system, including her own. That sounds like a rejection of the IT to me.

Yes, the "wheel" is a metaphor for the entire feudal system of Westeros and its ruling houses--including her own.

I'm still not sure a democratic revolution is in the scope of the series, though, with only two books and two seasons left.

Archived