So fire does not harm an Other?

A friend of mine had a question that I wanted to pose here on the forum.

When Sam killed the wight with dragonglass, he says that it "burned up" for lack of a better word (at work and can't go back to watch and see). When Jon killed the WW, it shattered into thousands of shards of ice.

Does anyone think there is any significance to that difference? Dragonglass burns them and valyrian steel shatters them? Or is it just a coincidence of how the showrunners portrayed it?

Also, it could just be better CGI or something along those lines. Maybe VS kills faster than Dragonglass, or the impact of swinging the sword caused it, but I really wouldn't look too far into it.

Apparently Tormund tells Jon about how they use fire to keep Others away? I'm not 100% sure but I was confused about the White Walker walking surrounded by the fire. I don't think fire kills them but I just mean I thought they generally tried to keep away from it or something?

Apparently Tormund tells Jon about how they use fire to keep Others away? I'm not 100% sure but I was confused about the White Walker walking surrounded by the fire. I don't think fire kills them but I just mean I thought they generally tried to keep away from it or something?

What is more perplexing is that the White Walker 'lowered' the flame itself.

If the white walker is surrounded by a cloud of windy, fresh and cold air.. that amount of fresh oxygen should boost the flame, rather than turn it down.

Perhaps the white walker power is not on air, but on ice itself. And from him originates a cloud of tiny ice crystals that can lower the temperature of a burning object to the point of killing the flame itself and then freeze its surface.

If the white walker is surrounded by a cloud of windy, fresh and cold air.. that amount of fresh oxygen should boost the flame, rather than turn it down.

Perhaps the white walker power is not on air, but on ice itself. And from him originates a cloud of tiny ice crystals that can lower the temperature of a burning object to the point of killing the flame itself and then freeze its surface.

i thin you're onto something there

Or it's just magic and real-world chemistry has nothing to do with it.

• 1 month later...

Archived