Anyone else having trouble with the whights?

oopeed

The skeletons seemed better to me than the Jason and the Argonauts skeletons in last season's finale with Bran. I can't pin down why but I think it is partially because all of the wights were at various levels of decay. Like, the boy who was leading the wight children was not a skeleton entirely but also not totally fleshed as the recent dead. He creeped me out the most of all the wights.

The skeletons seemed better to me than the Jason and the Argonauts skeletons in last season's finale with Bran. I can't pin down why but I think it is partially because all of the wights were at various levels of decay. Like, the boy who was leading the wight children was not a skeleton entirely but also not totally fleshed as the recent dead. He creeped me out the most of all the wights.

Oh god, that kid. I have a shiver go down my spine when I saw him. Fricken' nightmare fuel there.

... but I think it is partially because all of the wights were at various levels of decay...

I agree with this. I prefer having a mix of undead. There are thousands of years of dead folk for the White Walkers to raise an army from. Some will be skeletal some will be fresh.

I wouldn't want them all looking the same.

I agree with this. I prefer having a mix of undead. There are thousands of years of dead folk for the White Walkers to raise an army from. Some will be skeletal some will be fresh.

I wouldn't want them all looking the same.

To me, it makes it scarier...because there are a lot more dead people than there are living, and I like the idea that they can reanimate any dead thing instead of 'only this kind or this type' blah blah blah.

The skeletons themselves don't bother me, they're older wights who have rotted away. But... The fact that they don't have blue eyes, apparently growl now, and can run super fast contradicts everything they've established about wights thus far. Oh, and that little thing about fire.. What was it? OH YEAH... Only FIRE can kill a damn wight! So why are they falling when shot with wildling arrows and being taken down by swords? And Wun Wun can just smash them? NO... No no no. Terrible writing. They clearly don't even care anymore about sticking to their own rules, just give us 20 minutes of shitty CGI World War Z movie zombies because that will look cool right? Wrong. The writers have no idea wtf they're doing anymore without GRRM's books to use as a crutch.

The skeletons themselves don't bother me, they're older wights who have rotted away. But... The fact that they don't have blue eyes, apparently growl now, and can run super fast contradicts everything they've established about wights thus far. Oh, and that little thing about fire.. What was it? OH YEAH... Only FIRE can kill a damn wight! So why are they falling when shot with wildling arrows and being taken down by swords? And Wun Wun can just smash them? NO... No no no. Terrible writing. They clearly don't even care anymore about sticking to their own rules, just give us 20 minutes of shitty CGI World War Z movie zombies because that will look cool right? Wrong. The writers have no idea wtf they're doing anymore without GRRM's books to use as a crutch.

I just love when people complain about the stupidest things. You do realize that the Night King could have rezzed them back up, the supposedly dead wights, when he was rezzing all the rest of the dead bodies? I mean think about it, Wun Wun was smashing them to bits, so obviously how are they going to get back up from that? Doesn't mean their exactly dead, they might just reanimate over time. Same with bows and the swords, you slash their body parts off or what ever, doesn't mean their dead and they probably came back as the time like i said, when the Night King rezzed them all.

I just love when people complain about the stupidest things. You do realize that the Night King could have rezzed them back up, the supposedly dead wights, when he was rezzing all the rest of the dead bodies? I mean think about it, Wun Wun was smashing them to bits, so obviously how are they going to get back up from that? Doesn't mean their exactly dead, they might just reanimate over time. Same with bows and the swords, you slash their body parts off or what ever, doesn't mean their dead and they probably came back as the time like i said, when the Night King rezzed them all.

The stupidest thing? Are you kidding me? Yeah let's break canon and fuck up the entire point of the wights, but yeah it's not important at all. If you could kill wights by sword, they wouldn't be the threat that they actually are. The only ones that stood up are the wildlings that just got killed. I just love when people can't comprehend that the entire plot has been destroyed and think this episode was 10/10.

If you smash a bone enough, eventually it will no longer be usable unless the Night's King can glue them back together again.

I liked the undead horde. They looked much better than the ones Bran dealt with at the cave.

If you smash a bone enough, eventually it will no longer be usable unless the Night's King can glue them back together again.

I liked the undead horde. They looked much better than the ones Bran dealt with at the cave.

The bones, individually even, should have still been moving and trying to attack. They've completely broken their own canon.

Nothing cries 'we are in a stupid video game zombie movie' louder than having fast growling zombies running around. In addition, the skeletons cry 'Harryhausen' which is not necessarily wrong in itself but pretty much out of place in the adaptation of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' in which no fast and growling zombies nor walking skeletons appear.

George's wights fit the type of the slow moving but unstoppable/deadly zombie from 'Night of the Living Dead'. They aren't scary because they are fast and all, they are scary because they will come for you and there is (pretty much) nothing you can do about it. Showing the complete opposite creates a completely different atmosphere.

Not to mention that the whole battle was fucked up. The wildlings had arrows and fire - why was nobody using flaming arrows? Not to mention that the Others looked rather stupid when they let the boat escape. What about the wights pursuing them by, say, swimming? Dead things in the water, remember? Not to mention that the his head-Other should have been able to freeze the sea water so that the boat could no longer move and they could walk over there.

This is a think that has been with me since last season.

The first time we saw a white walker back in GoT: Prologue and GoT: S01E01 they resembled pretty much if not identical, fleshy beings that seemed pretty much human except for the pale faces, the blue eyes and the swords made of ice. The image kept consistent for the next appearances in the show, and the hand that Alliser Thorne didn't reduce to bone until some time after he departed Castle Black.

Anyway... is anyone else bothered or puzzled by why suddenly wights turned into rambling skeletons that love zerg rushing? I mean, a skeleton can move by itself, it needs muscles to do the job, otherwise burning the bodies would have no point as a skeleton can still turn into a wight, as we've seen that wights don't wither until being truly dead.

I think they took too many inspiration on the horrible trend of zombie shows and ended up delivering something nonsensical and laughable as the fight in Jason and the Argonauts against the shambling skeletons.

The Other seemed quite cool imo, I'm willing to forgive the stupid nonsense of the brawl in Dorne because of this fight, so why not keep the already stablished image? Just to appeal to more people by joining the bandwagon of shows about zerg hordes of skeletons and pieces of flesh?

I think there can be multiple 'kinds' of whites.

You can get the skelatal wights if they are older and the flesh has rotted before they 'rose'.

But if they are a newly killed corpse (as in the wights found by the scout party in the very first episode season one) then they still have most of their flesh and some human charachteristics remain.

I honestly have a bigger problem with the 'Others' than the wights. I think that the others should look less ugly and should be more icey and 'beautiful' like they are described in the books. In the books they were a very regal and seruious looking creature, but on the show they look 'ugly' and less intimidating than I thought they should have been.

George's wights fit the type of the slow moving but unstoppable/deadly zombie from 'Night of the Living Dead'. They aren't scary because they are fast and all, they are scary because they will come for you and there is (pretty much) nothing you can do about it. Showing the complete opposite creates a completely different atmosphere.

If by "Nothing you can do about it" you mean they can easily outpace them and then round them all up and burn them then sure.

If you have enough wood and fire, sure, then you have a shot against some wights - which is why usually a lot of them show up, and their masters (who stay behind and don't participate in the battle - because, you know, that's what the wights are for) send out their cold and darkness which seems to dampen or extinguish ordinary fire.

I'd probably die laughing when I was attacked by those wights - because, well, you know, they look like they've escaped from some clichéd horror/fantasy movie. They may kill you but they aren't scary.

Archived