Anyone else having trouble with the whights?

oopeed

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with shadow babies either.

When you put it like that, sure, I suppose they don't logically make any more sense than skeleton wights, but it still feels a lot more believable. I'm not sure what the exact cognitive reason is for why dragons and shadow babies work for me but skeleton wights don't; maybe it's not the reason I gave but something else entirely.

Personal preference, probably. That, or the fact that the shadow baby is used once and very quickly, while the wights are a reoccurring thing and get a lot more exposure.

And I suppose visual media exploding with different variations of zombies doesn't help the fact either, if you're not a fan of 'em to begin with.

But that's why it's better to 'argue' using personal preference as opposed to some contrived scientific reasons. With the former, you're discussing and not arguing.

I just think it's a bit silly when people try bringing real-world logic into a fantasy world, especially if it's targeting fantasy creatures. Though, that's aimed more towards people who wage zealous opinion wars and use 'em as facts. You seem reasonable and realistic, and I was just tossin' my two silver-stags in.

[Dragons are] magical, but they might as well not be

I disagree with the bold part. There are a looot of things about dragons that are hard to explain using biology, or even physics.

The legendary dragons of old were way too large to fly - in fact, I seriously doubt even a dragon the size of Drogon in his present state would be able to fly.

Dragon eggs and the way they hatch are odd. How can living protein withstand such temperatures without being destroyed? And how can the eggs lie dormant for so long? Come to think of it, even living dragons are immune to fire. Very weird, to say the least.

As for the breathing of fire, I suppose you could explain it by dragons producing some flammable liquid in their gut etc, but it's still stretching believability.

As for walking wights... As someone posted earlier, they're not more believable because they have muscles, because they still don't have any blood pumping through them. I would like to go one step further and say they wouldn't be believable even if their hearts were pumping blood, because that blood wouldn't be oxygenated. And you can go on like this about all the body functions, until you realize that any walking corpse is no more realistic than a walking bundle of twigs.

One thing I didn't understand was when the NK raised all those wights, were that just the people killed by his army or was he also resurrecting the wights who were killed by Tormund and company?

MyLittleFinger,

come on, surely you have also thought occasionally how you would react or behave if you were that badly scripted or written character in a work of fiction. Bad special effects can have a similar effect on people, especially if they effectively don't achieve the intended goal (that is, being scary) or completely reverse the specifics of the source material.

If I were attacked and slaughtered by cheesy-looking Harryhausen caricatures in real life this would have a humorous/bizarre quality to it as I'd recognize them as such, and have a very strong problem considering them to be real. Now, the characters in the show don't have that, but realistically even they should be trembling with fear as, you know, walking skeletons are hard to swallow.

No because it is magic.

I also don't understand people complaining that the wights are moving too fast etc. I thought it was established in the first books prologue they are not Romero zombies.

The Others/White Walkers have control over the wights under their command. They can make them behave how they please depending on the situation. Why? Magic. The Night King just raised all the dead wildlings with pretty much just a thought.

I find it funny that people complaining that the wights aren't realistic enough. Well, go animate this scene yourself then. Or go find me a re-animated dead person. Oh right, they don't exist. Honestly at this point it seems like you folks are just trying to give yourself a reason to not like the show, and in that case you can always stop watching it.

I was a bit perplexed by the lemming wights. None of them seemed to break any bones from that fall. I never really picture the undead as very fast either, so that was a bit jarring for me.

MyLittleFinger,

come on, surely you have also thought occasionally how you would react or behave if you were that badly scripted or written character in a work of fiction. Bad special effects can have a similar effect on people, especially if they effectively don't achieve the intended goal (that is, being scary) or completely reverse the specifics of the source material.

If I were attacked and slaughtered by cheesy-looking Harryhausen caricatures in real life this would have a humorous/bizarre quality to it as I'd recognize them as such, and have a very strong problem considering them to be real. Now, the characters in the show don't have that, but realistically even they should be trembling with fear as, you know, walking skeletons are hard to swallow.

I know mate. Just playing devils advocate and I always survive in my "scenario" in 28 Days Later (one of my fav horror films), but in reality, I'm probably dead relatively quickly.

I'm just stunned - stunned - that there are nitpicking "book readers" who still do not understand the distinction between Wights and White Walkers/Others. Not Whight Walkers. :bang:

And once a zombie is controlled by magic and re-animated, it is just as realistic to have a slow or a fast zombie. Neither make sense from a real world science perspective, but this is not that. It is magic. MAGIC.

It's a matter of tone, not realism, when it comes to what magical things suit and what doesn't - nothing magical is realistic. Shadow babies, reanimated corpses and dragons can all fit the tone established by ASoIaF/GoTs, or they can not.

It's why I don't like drogons soppy face in episode 502 - it doesn't gel with the established tone. Neither do fast paced screechy skeletons. Neither did a CotF casting a fireball, even though CotF can use fire, seeing it play out in such a fast paced, cliché and childish way does not fit with the tone.

My only problem was that that wilding woman just stood still when she saw those wight kids. I mean, WTF?

I thought it was just suggesting that seeing so many turned children just caused her to give up, like she thought, 'If we can't save the children, what's the point of fighting'. Her maternal feelings kicked in and suppressed her warrior side, is all.

And opinions are subjective. We can all suspend disbelief and know the reanimation is magic. The OP asked if anyone is having trouble with the wights. People have posted their opinions and some chose to discuss whitewalkers/others in addition to the wights. I humbly apologize for expressing my opinion.

It's a matter of tone, not realism, when it comes to what magical things suit and what doesn't - nothing magical is realistic. Shadow babies, reanimated corpses and dragons can all fit the tone established by ASoIaF/GoTs, or they can not.

It's why I don't like drogons soppy face in episode 502 - it doesn't gel with the established tone. Neither do fast paced screechy skeletons. Neither did a CotF casting a fireball, even though CotF can use fire, seeing it play out in such a fast paced, cliché and childish way does not fit with the tone.

How does something moving than a slow zombie break the tone? You seem to be making up this "tone" to fit whatever your preconceived ideas demand.

As for soppy face... WTH? Care to show what you are writing about? A link showing this... "soppyness"?

How does something moving than a slow zombie break the tone? You seem to be making up this "tone" to fit whatever your preconceived ideas demand.

As for soppy face... WTH? Care to show what you are writing about? A link showing this... "soppyness"?

It's not the speed - it's because they feel more adventurous than horrific. The design and movement of the speedy skeleton enemies feel like they belong in a Sinbad film, not in ASoIaF.

When drogon meets Dany on the roof in episode 502, it's face went all Disney, or Draco from Dragonheart, which doesn't feel like it belongs in GoTs/AsoIaF either.

It's become a big problem with modern cinema - and modern cinema writers. They just don't care about tone, they care about what looks cool, or trying to jam in another awesome set piece, at the expense of internal consistency. For the most part, GoTs has been good at sticking to it's established tone, it's just some of the magical CG stuff that really breaks it - because they are doing exactly the same thing as modern blockbuster cinema - wouldn't it be cool if? Not, does it work with our tone if, as they should be doing.

ummester,

No, they are establishing their OWN tone - certainly with the CG creatures. You just aren't liking it, and you've clearly been wanting something else since day 1. This is not the fault of the show (or "modern cinema"), but instead that you don't care for the style. You apparently go into "modern cinema" films and you do not let THEM establish their own looks.

They have put a LOT of thought into their dragon design (just one example) from day one. So much is obvious - they even went for a design that is far more realistic than most (or any?) dragon out there. They aren't just going for "cool".

As for fast vs. slow zombies, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I personally see very little terror in a hap-hazard bumbling zombie that slowly shuffles towards me, but your mileage clearly varies.

Archived