Holy spoilers, Batman! [Book & TV spoilers] [obviously]

Young Nan

Wow,soooo, there were so many spoilers in this episode. We are really moving into WOW territory at this point:

Tyrion makes it to Dany and gets accepted as her hand, thereby getting new purpose in life.

Valyrian steel does in fact kill white walkers, so maybe that means Jon will/does have the red sword of heroes?

Hard home is overrun by white walkers, and the night's king is roaming around doing his nights king thing.

I know, the show & books are two different animals, BUT we also know that D&D are hitting the major plot points of the books.

So, damn. Anyone think these really were spoilers? Who is stopping watching the show at this point?

Crazy episode.

Well I don't think anything in this episode will happen in the books, however they do heavily suggest and move ahead on certain directions of the show, so they are like "sort of/possibly" spoilers. Valyrian steel kills Others, The Others have a leader who is likely "The Night's King" of legend, Tyrion will become an advisor to Dany, Ramsay did attack Stannis, Hardhome has been, or is being, or will be, taken by the army of the dead, etc.

Some thought Valyrian Steel was obvious, but there were (are?) an awful lot of people who debated the ability of Valyrian Steel to kill the Others.

So you think Tyrion and Dany will never meet in the books?

Tyrion and Dany meeting is so sledgehammer over the head obvious that I can't really consider that a spoiler either.

Maybe "Holy Confirmations, Batman!" would be a better thread title :P

To be honest, I was always one of those people who thought that Valyrian steel being the dragon steel was a way too obvious. I know it makes the perfect sense, but it was the option which Jon and Sam brought up immediately, so it's kind of underwhelming it's the real thing. OTOH, there's not that much Valyrian steel and smiths and maesters only know how to remake old Valyrian-steel objects, not how to make new Valyrian steel, so at least there will a shortage, I expect.

The only confirmed "spoiler" was the Valyrian steel thing, which I thought was kind of obvious to begin with.

Same here, though that was pretty cool. I know some people didn't get it, or thought it was so obvious it couldn't be it, but I just figured the only named type of steel had to be it.

Also, it's not that rare is it? Sure only a handful of smiths in the world can make it, but I thought I read somewhere, perhaps in the world book or on here or something, that there were over 500 weapons in Westeros made of Valyrian Steel? People just don't want to part with them.

I thought it was clear in the books that Valyrian Steel killed Wights so that would mean WW aswell. Remember how Mormont joked about asking all the great houses to give their valyrian steel to the wall.

Valyrian Steel has no special effect on wights that we know of. It was Jon who joked about convincing everyone to send the Watch their Valyrian Steel swords.

Also, it's not that rare is it? Sure only a handful of smiths in the world can make it, but I thought I read somewhere, perhaps in the world book or on here or something, that there were over 500 weapons in Westeros made of Valyrian Steel? People just don't want to part with them.

227 when some maester did an inventory. Some have since been lost.

Valyrian Steel has no special effect on wights that we know of. It was Jon who joked about convincing everyone to send the Watch their Valyrian Steel swords.

227 when some maester did an inventory. Some have since been lost.

Much thanks, I knew it was I guess what you'd consider a decent number. But still, a little over 200 is definitely not enough for everyone. If the Watch even gets those weapons. I can't see people like Harras Harlaw or Caggo giving theirs up.

Wow,soooo, there were so many spoilers in this episode. We are really moving into WOW territory at this point:

Tyrion makes it to Dany and gets accepted as her hand, thereby getting new purpose in life.

Valyrian steel does in fact kill white walkers, so maybe that means Jon will/does have the red sword of heroes?

Hard home is overrun by white walkers, and the night's king is roaming around doing his nights king thing.

I know, the show & books are two different animals, BUT we also know that D&D are hitting the major plot points of the books.

So, damn. Anyone think these really were spoilers? Who is stopping watching the show at this point?

Crazy episode.

Maybe the red sword is just a euphemism for dragon steel.

We really don't know what is material that GRRM has told them, and what is material the show has come up with partially or entirely. I suspect the VS thing is truly GRRM material, but it could turn out to be a simplification for the show, or something original to them.

As for Night's King, I am still skeptical that this will actually be a character that shows up in modern times in ASOIAF. I don't recall, is Night's King even mentioned before or after ASOS? Unless Night's King is revealed to be another name or identity for a well known character (like Bran the Builder, the Last Hero, or something), it would seem odd to mention him three books in, and then reveal him to be the leader behind the great threat of the series.

We really don't know what is material that GRRM has told them, and what is material the show has come up with partially or entirely. I suspect the VS thing is truly GRRM material, but it could turn out to be a simplification for the show, or something original to them.

As for Night's King, I am still skeptical that this will actually be a character that shows up in modern times in ASOIAF. I don't recall, is Night's King even mentioned before or after ASOS? Unless Night's King is revealed to be another name or identity for a well known character (like Bran the Builder, the Last Hero, or something), it would seem odd to mention him three books in, and then reveal him to be the leader behind the great threat of the series.

I think it's possible that the Night's Kings isn't the same as the historical figure from the books, but simply the name/title they've chosen for the leader of the Others for whatever reason. The Others are supposed to be intelligent beings, it doesn't seem strange they would have a king of sorts. In the books we may come across their leader in future. Or maybe not, and their organization will always remain obscure.

Archived