The Night's King

Brandon Martell

How do you know Benjen will appear?

IMDb has him listed. Maybe a mistake, but he is there.

I had the same thought.

"Jon, join me. I am your . . um, predecessor. Maybe like your great x 100 grandfather or something. We aren't sure. I might actually be a Bolton."

Do they talk or just screech like Nazguls?

I don't think the Bolton's have a freaking clue. They have a history of being treacherous assholes. I've read up on their past and while they are an old house that has been around since the age of heroes and were actually kings at one point and have killed many Starks and even wore their flayed skin as cloaks, it never says anything about them and the Others, although it is suggested the Night's King could have been a Bolton but I don't believe that. It seems they are so power hungry they can't see the big picture which is White Walkers, and they would be decimated by them if it ever came to that.

Yes, what was that? This is a highly significant detail imho.

I have remarked it in other threads, in some ways the others have the trappings of knighthood or nobilety. But that said, one white walker is clearly not the other, because this one for ex. had a sort of icey crown, which most other walkers don't seem to have, and besides that he had this accesory to his costume, kinda like a broche. I wondered if it was some sigil. Eitherway it's open to a lot of questions. Why should mindless zombie's adorn themselfs with such outward symbols? Is it not something that would be meant to work as it works in our world, with other words that it is something that must render prestige or authority to this white walker? For the impression is there that ultimtly he's higher up in the chain of command too.

It does look however quite non descriptive. It doesn't look liek any sigil, no'r as something easily recognizable. I did have some sort of astral vibe from it though, i guess it had somethign along the lines of cosmic elements like a comet, a planet or a star in some sort of combination.

Im really interrested about this detail, hope more people pick it up and think about it.

For reference, a picture of the "nights king" with this "broche".

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/game-of-thrones-season-5-nights-king-hbo.jpg

For me it looks like Westeros, with the line been the wall.

I am also greatly bothered by the wall. We know for sure that it is protected by magic. But who did cast those spells ? I mean, we saw fire magic, blood magic.. The only kind of frost magic we saw was the other's.

What if the Starks were hybrids, children of others that felt in love for humans and decided to protect them from their kind. Those others could have helped building the wall with frost magic. I'm not sure what happened to them, but I'm certain that the evil others would blame the hybrids children for that treason and seek revenge. Maybe even conquest of what was denied to them.

Unless I'm much mistaken, the NK definitely seems to be turning Craster's boys into WW as opposed to just wights - that would surely be what's indicated by the bright blue WW eyes? They do seem to focus a lot of WW shots on their eyes, perhaps to try and clarify this. The child-wights that attacked at the end of this episode are simply turned Wildling children, and not Craster's children IMO.

So I don't think that only ancient Starks have become WW - but I think it's pretty certain that the NK is a Stark, pretty sure the NK mythology in both the show and the book confirms this, as well as hinting strongly that his name was Brandon (Bran the builder anyone?). I think that the NK sees Jon Snow as a potential ally, recognising him as a fellow Stark - someone he could eventually turn into a fellow powerful WW. I think the big unknown for the NK here is probably Jon's Targaryen bloodline, which will perhaps make it difficult/ impossible to turn him - not only is he not a pure Stark, but he also has 'the blood of the dragon/ - closely related to fire magic etc.

NK sees Jon Snow as a potential ally, recognising him as a fellow Stark - someone he could eventually turn into a fellow powerful WW.

So far we only saw a baby turned. If the NK could control/make powerful ally of the living, he would not kill them. He didn't killed nor turn Craster for a reason : babies. Somehow, the WW need children to turn them while they're still young, innocent. Maybe for growing into WW purpose, maybe for something else..

It seems they can turn a living human into an Other if they touch them. If the humans are dead they become wights.

"There must always be a Stark in Winterfell," might be a spell of sorts but the Others made the first move by using wights to move south and attack the three Night Watchmen while Ned, Robb, and the other boys were still ensconced in Winterfell, Benjen was at the Wall, Robert was still comfortably the king, and Dany and Viserys were still powerless guests of Illyrio's.

So far we only saw a baby turned. If the NK could control/make powerful ally of the living, he would not kill them. He didn't killed nor turn Craster for a reason : babies. Somehow, the WW need children to turn them while they're still young, innocent. Maybe for growing into WW purpose, maybe for something else..

I think it would have be voluntary for an adult. The Night's King himself was turned *if* he is the historical Night's King from the books and it's not just the name the showrunners gave to the White Walkers' leader because it sounded appropriate.

I think it would have be voluntary for an adult. The Night's King himself was turned *if* he is the historical Night's King from the books and it's not just the name the showrunners gave to the White Walkers' leader because it sounded appropriate.

I don't remember that book Night's king was turned. Wasn't he buried into the wall, facing north to take their watch forever ?

Also, this is a nice reminder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TQHjo3xzQ

Awesome theory, especially the bolded part.

Building upon your theory: Old Nan told Bran that the legendary Night's King was a Stark. She even hinted that his name was Brandon.

Who says White Walkers are dead? Maybe they are just altered humans, like what they did to babies.

My theory is:

In the past, when Starks became old, they would go out "hunting" in the Winter.... But really they were going to join their ancestors, who are the "councilmen" of the Others. Do we know that there are only 12?

What if the tombs in Winterfell are empty, and this is what everyone meant when they called the old Starks the "Kings Of Winter"? Bran even remarked that their statues looked almost not human.

So, to summarize:

"Elite" Others (for lack of better word) = Old Starks

"Normal" Others = Babies who were turned.

Wights = Normal dead people.

That's what I think the NK was really doing with Jon. He wasn't taunting him, he was saying "Come join us, and embrace the power in you. It is your destiny.

Also, why do Starks get to essentially become immortal ice wizards while everyone else becomes meat shields? The answer: Warging. The Starks use their warging abilities to revive and control the dead, and in becoming Others, their warging ability increases tenfold.

I just had a thought. What if after For the Watch it's not Jon being revived by Mel or warging Ghost but Bran wargs Jon's body? What if Jon actually does die? Coldhands would have been the precedent in the books and it could add to why he was omitted from the show. It would be right up Martin's alley to go on to reveal R+J=L only after Jon is dead and a thrall for Bran. So then BR's promise would be fulfilled via Jon, formerly a Targ, riding one of the dragons via Bran...Or even worse some sort of tug of war for control of Jon's body between the Others and Branraven.

Thanks for that, I think I read that quote before and that's where I got the definitive idea that Others/White Walkers are not re-animated corpses.

Not sure anyone is saying they are reanimated corpses. I think the theory is that they are "changed" humans. I think its still possible that the books will somewhat verify this too. It doesn't mean there is any humanity left in them though, so they can still be inhuman.

Archived