Windows 10 upgrade/registration "for free"

Arataniello

I'm pretty content with Windows 7 for now, although I'll see what the widespread feedback is on compatibility.

Mostly I just don't want to bother with the pain in the ass of backing up all of my files, pictures, videos, e-books, etc before upgrading to the next generation OS, lest they be erased with the upgrade. I'll do it if Windows 10 ends up being awesome (and I do like the idea of Cortana and voice commands being built into control over the system) and works with my antivirus scanner and so forth.

Backing up that data is good practice even if you don't intend to update.

What OS are you using for gaming? It's my biggest complaint of Mac and Linux is a non-starter

Win7 at the moment, it came with my sadly under powered laptop.

But that's a Microsoft OS. Is it not handling games well? Do you have an alternative? I'm really confused about the original statement of 'needing to see Microsoft handle games well before you can trust them'....

It's a good idea, and it looks like they're saying that it will just port over to the upgraded OS anyways - you only get a wipe-out if you're installing it clean from a disk.

Yeah - I did not have any loss of data of any kind either. Everything was there safe and sound. I had backed up things anyway, but that helped the process.

But that's a Microsoft OS. Is it not handling games well? Do you have an alternative? I'm really confused about the original statement of 'needing to see Microsoft handle games well before you can trust them'....

Yes that is a Microsoft OS. My original statement could have been more clear. The windows platform, and the Directx layer, work quite for games (they did spend decades co-evolving). The company Microsoft, in contrast, does hardly seem interested in that platform. None of their solutions (things like game for Windows Life) actually seem to have worked, and easily abandoned. They don't seem to understand their own platform at times, for example take a look at the exclusive deals with indie-developers around the release of Windows 8. In the same vein there has to be a reason that even at the moment Playstation seems to be the preferred console platform for small (cross-platform) developers.

That is the part of Microsoft that I have issues trusting to do well, which includes the integration of PC and Xbox, not as much the OS itself.

The problem I see is that as meh as Microsoft might be, all the other options are basically way worse. Linux has effectively abandoned any pretense of desktop usefulness. Macs have become a far worse subscription model OS and still have the problem that no one's developing for the Mac (iOS is great, but Macs are still basically a wasteland). All the significant modding communities are around PCs. Basically all the indy gaming is around PCs. Unless the SteamBox and SteamOS model catches...u;h....steam, there's really no other game in town.

That said, I think Microsoft is doing a lot better for gamers and for the system at large. Being able to buy a game on either PC or Xbox and play it on the other as you choose is pretty neat. Being able to build apps and have them run anywhere is cool. Giving the operating system away for free is a pretty cool move. DX12 is nice, and the W10 footprint is right there with W7 and W8 as far as resources go.

I also think that they're making a much bigger push towards the PC as a platform than they have in a long time. The crossplat stuff with the Xbox is one example - but another is buying Mojang. Seriously, their next windows codename isn't the name of a ski resort like Vista/XP/W7 were, or 'blue' like W8 was - it's Redstone.

The problem I see is that as meh as Microsoft might be, all the other options are basically way worse. Linux has effectively abandoned any pretense of desktop usefulness. Macs have become a far worse subscription model OS and still have the problem that no one's developing for the Mac (iOS is great, but Macs are still basically a wasteland). All the significant modding communities are around PCs. Basically all the indy gaming is around PCs. Unless the SteamBox and SteamOS model catches...u;h....steam, there's really no other game in town.

That said, I think Microsoft is doing a lot better for gamers and for the system at large. Being able to buy a game on either PC or Xbox and play it on the other as you choose is pretty neat. Being able to build apps and have them run anywhere is cool. Giving the operating system away for free is a pretty cool move. DX12 is nice, and the W10 footprint is right there with W7 and W8 as far as resources go.

I also think that they're making a much bigger push towards the PC as a platform than they have in a long time. The crossplat stuff with the Xbox is one example - but another is buying Mojang. Seriously, their next windows codename isn't the name of a ski resort like Vista/XP/W7 were, or 'blue' like W8 was - it's Redstone.

This is what I'm seeing as well. Mac is great... for certain applications such as Java/iOS/Android coding and visual/audio arts, but outside of that it's pretty slim pickings, especially in gaming and business apps (I use one for work to code in). Linux will never be a real contender because of the hassle of getting drivers set up, and is just a mac w/out the visual/audio stuff and fewer apps. Pretty much useless as a desktop and really only useful as a web server.

Then you have what Microsoft is doing, they are trying really hard to nail down the PC market for games, their IDE is going to be free, with XAML and WPF you have a framework to code once and run anywhere (phone, tablet, PC, and soon to be released android & iOS as well), and has access to most of the apps for both Linux and Mac. The only real downfall is that it's not quite as good for visual stuff, and definitely not as good for audio (their MIDI support is non-existent). They also have some pretty damn good hardware that's very competitive w/ Mac hardware. Then you have Azure that is directly competing with Amazon for cloud computing that integrates seamlessly into the development environment.

Honestly, out of the big 3 OS's, Microsoft is easily making the biggest strides lately to compete or lead in basically every market. Well... besides audio. Still nothing on that one (GRRRRR.....)

The only one that is borderline troublesome is the push of updates. One the one hand it is positive for safety, on the other there are enough people with limited bandwidth and download caps.

Oh god, all the people complaining about the forced updates on the Home Edition. Look people, if you're concerned about not having that much control over you're computer you shouldn't be buying the Home Edition anyway. No one who I know that knows computers ever uses the basic version of windows on their computer.

Oh god, all the people complaining about the forced updates on the Home Edition. Look people, if you're concerned about not having that much control over you're computer you shouldn't be buying the Home Edition anyway. No one who I know that knows computers ever uses the basic version of windows on their computer.

What bollocks. For a home user, there is nothing in windows pro that is remotely worth the extra £100. Windows Media Center? Fuck off Microsoft.

ETA: What is really annoying about this, considering Microsoft's sketchy record with updates, is Home Users essentially being forced into being the guinea pigs for Business Users. Grrrr!

What bollocks. For a home user, there is nothing in windows pro that is remotely worth the extra £100. Windows Media Center? Fuck off Microsoft.

ETA: What is really annoying about this, considering Microsoft's sketchy record with updates, is Home Users essentially being forced into being the guinea pigs for Business Users. Grrrr!

100? *Checks the Microsoft website* Oh wow, I paid $40 for my copy of 8 pro.

trust me, that's not the case. Their flighting system is what does that.

The main reason home is getting auto updates is because research shows home editions are far more likely to be exploited and not locked down well. This comes from absurd amounts of data. If ms could force everyone to patch immediately they would - but this is the next best thing.

trust me, that's not the case. Their flighting system is what does that.

The main reason home is getting auto updates is because research shows home editions are far more likely to be exploited and not locked down well. This comes from absurd amounts of data. If ms could force everyone to patch immediately they would - but this is the next best thing.

You say that, but you only have to google 'windows update broke my computer' to see why people are concerned about this.

I'm running the home edition, along with Norton Security, Malwarebytes Pro, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. The only thing that has ever fucked with my setup is Windows Update. I don't see why Microsoft feel they have the right to force updates on me that might fuck with my machine. Surely if I choose not to update and then get exploited then that's on me, no?

I guess the annoyance factor will depend on how the forced updates are going to work. Am I going to be forced to stop what I'm doing and restart my system as soon as an update is ready to be installed?

• 3 weeks later...

You say that, but you only have to google 'windows update broke my computer' to see why people are concerned about this.

I'm running the home edition, along with Norton Security, Malwarebytes Pro, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. The only thing that has ever fucked with my setup is Windows Update. I don't see why Microsoft feel they have the right to force updates on me that might fuck with my machine. Surely if I choose not to update and then get exploited then that's on me, no?

I guess the annoyance factor will depend on how the forced updates are going to work. Am I going to be forced to stop what I'm doing and restart my system as soon as an update is ready to be installed?

no, it's not on you. Because your computer won't likely be just to hurt you. It will be used as a piece of a bot net and used to attack others.

People can be concerned, and that's fair, but you're completely wrong about it being a testbed for corporate patch rollout. That's simply paranoid tinfoil hat crap right there.

If it is anything like all the previous upgrades, it will just upgrade the OS and leave your files alone.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I have Windows 7 now, but I don't have a problem with some of the issues I've seen listed in this thread. I've used an iPhone and phones with the android OS as well as the Nexxus 7 tablet and now the iPad mini, so I'm comfortable with most of the changes I've read about. I might as well go for it.

If it is anything like all the previous upgrades, it will just upgrade the OS and leave your files alone.

Yeah with Windows 8 you had the options of a clean install or an upgrade keeping basically everything. I usually prefer to do the former though, it's especially easy for me since I've partitioned my hard drive so even with a clean install I don't lose all that much.

Archived