(Book spoilers) Will Daenerys in this episode...

Drogon's appearance in Daznak's Pit and the dragon riding was the one of the best parts in the whole epic saga. I hope they budgeted a lot for the special effects. This is a scene that needs to be done right.

Drogon's appearance in Daznak's Pit and the dragon riding was the one of the best parts in the whole epic saga. I hope they budgeted a lot for the special effects. This is a scene that needs to be done right.

They gave it the climax episode position (9), so I'm pretty sure it ate up about as much of the SFX budget (if not more) as Hardhome.

I have to admit in the books, her scene with Drogon was probably my favorite part of ADWD.

It basically turned Dany from a Queen that has no power over her city, to arguably the most powerful individual in the world of ASOIAF. Who else has the balls to stand up to a dragon and win?

If you consider that most of the Dragon scenes that we have had so far, are them standing relatively still, or being in a dark room, or juts flying over head, this scene should be amazing. Full light, close up and nothing to hide them.

she will at least fly i am hoping for a "getting loser we are going to win the iron throne " but i don't think so.

...fly away with Drogon to Vaes Dothrak? Since this is the episode with the Deznak's Pit fight, will it be the same as the books, with Drogon being drawn by the smell of blood and going apeshit before flying away with Dany? It's already pretty set up, since Daario mentioned that he thinks Hizdahr is the leader of the Sons of the Harpy, and Tyrion can take Barry's place as the guy in charge after Daenerys has dissapeared, and have Hizdahr arrested etc.

The only thing that bothers me is why should anyone listen to Tyrion. Dany being gone will leave a power vacuum. Tyrion just came into the picture all of a sudden the second sons and unsullied should take orders from a half man. Not to mention why the hell would masters care the queen is gone there should be open revolt, and it is not like Tyrion has been properly introduced as second in command to Dany to anyone. We want Tyrion to have power but it just doesn't make sense here why anyone would listen to him. It makes more sense for Dario and Jorah to take command and Tyrion is advising them on strategy.

The problem for me with the mereen storyline is not that I don't care about slavery is because everyone knows this is just a distraction. Why should the audience care when the character is just going to dropping all this shit and run off. If Slavers bay is a legitimate thing Dany sees a future here she is in this for the long haul, institutionalizing reforms that will stand the test of time even after she is gone, it will be easier to take this seriously if Dany is going to make a real difference. The way it is right now Dany is just barely holding slavery at its bay the moment she blinks everything will be back to status quo, so no point in anyone investing any emotion or interest on something that has no future.

Take the wall for example Jon is making genuine reforms with the wildlings. WIldlings have crossed the wall and even if he is gone there is hope that the free folk will settle peacefully in the gift lands and other places where they can be integrated into the westerosi society. It is easy to stand behind a characters motivation if we can see that what they stand for will last.

The only thing that bothers me is why should anyone listen to Tyrion. Dany being gone will leave a power vacuum. Tyrion just came into the picture all of a sudden the second sons and unsullied should take orders from a half man. Not to mention why the hell would masters care the queen is gone there should be open revolt, and it is not like Tyrion has been properly introduced as second in command to Dany to anyone. We want Tyrion to have power but it just doesn't make sense here why anyone would listen to him. It makes more sense for Dario and Jorah to take command and Tyrion is advising them on strategy.

The problem for me with the mereen storyline is not that I don't care about slavery is because everyone knows this is just a distraction. Why should the audience care when the character is just going to dropping all this shit and run off. If Slavers bay is a legitimate thing Dany sees a future here she is in this for the long haul, institutionalizing reforms that will stand the test of time even after she is gone, it will be easier to take this seriously if Dany is going to make a real difference. The way it is right now Dany is just barely holding slavery at its bay the moment she blinks everything will be back to status quo, so no point in anyone investing any emotion or interest on something that has no future.

Take the wall for example Jon is making genuine reforms with the wildlings. WIldlings have crossed the wall and even if he is gone there is hope that the free folk will settle peacefully in the gift lands and other places where they can be integrated into the westerosi society. It is easy to stand behind a characters motivation if we can see that what they stand for will last.

Beautifully said, Mirthula.

I agree, and I think that Daznak's Pit will end the episode tonight - I'm so pumped! I think their landing in the Dothraki Sea will be 5.10, and I can't wait to see the look on Khal Jhoqo's face when he sees her AND DROGON!

It was still a great scene, just because the underlying material was so great, but I was a little disappointed, to tell the truth. Nothing about how it did or didn't jibe with the books, more that they missed a couple of action beats, it seemed to me. All these people suspiciously standing around in small knots, not really going anywhere, waiting to get burned, became real noticeable as they kept doiong it. That dragon-headed flame cannon they use looks great but it's too stable/static to be convincing in anything more than a brief glimpse. And if both their lives were in danger, how did they have time to gaze into each other's eyes for 15 seconds before taking off?

A lot of the changes from the book, like the SOTH attack, worked just fine, but I really wanted to see the whip. It's one of Daenerys' best character moments, and it would make good TV, too - Drogon gets his blood lust up and starts getting a little over-enthusiastic, Dany has to tame him and then they both have to escape. Not just a good character moment, but exciting stuff: I don't know why they didn't use it.

A lot of the changes from the book, like the SOTH attack, worked just fine, but I really wanted to see the whip. It's one of Daenerys' best character moments, and it would make good TV, too - Drogon gets his blood lust up and starts getting a little over-enthusiastic, Dany has to tame him and then they both have to escape. Not just a good character moment, but exciting stuff: I don't know why they didn't use it.

I completely agree with what you said. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this was underwhelming. In the book it felt frantic and chaotic. Dany's fear at taming Drogon, who's going crazy, and her subsequent burst of confidence and spontaneous jumping on Drogon were awesome. I definitely thought the SOTH attack was meant to externalize some of her own internal fear and chaotic thoughts, but it just made for a nice lead in.

Like, Dany willing Drogon to come for that moment and then everyone standing around, then later her slowly getting on Drogon. Meh. I didn't like their take on it. They sucked all the adrenaline out of the scene.

And really, what was the point of introducing "Dany cant tame her dragons" if in the very climactic scene of this issue, you take out 85% of the tension. All we got was Drogon roaring at Dany once, and she barely even looked scared. Though they already did squander this with her little stunt underground with the masters a few episodes back.

Sad to say very underwhelming. You never got any sense that Dany was in danger of Drogon. Drogon roared at her and all that was needed to tame him was to look in Dany's eyes. No tension.

Wasn't impressed with the digital effects with her riding Drogon either, but maybe that's me being picky.

Also maybe we can rule our Hiddy as being the Harpy, although I think that he was not was hinted in the books.

At the end of the day Shereen is a very, very minor character, so I'm surprised that there's not been more reaction to the Jorah/Dany/greyscale thing. Dany may well be immune to greyscale but could Jorah really have known that with any certainty? I found it very odd that someone supposedly so devoted to her wanted her to take his hand when he wasn't even wearing gloves.

Archived