Mr. Robot (spoilers).... 'cause I suck at this stuff

Martini Sigil

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Ah, good point. This isn't a show that is worried about depicting violence. And they've made a big mystery of what went on that night at the SUV. Terrific as Joanna is, her whole role this season is a bit pointless other than revolving around covering this up. It's completely possible Mr. Robot is lying to Elliot. It was Mr. Robot that met to plan with Tyrell. 

Maybe Whiterose, Tyrell (still alive somewhere), and Mr. Robot are all working together against Ecorp and Price. 

But still a big reveal coming at some point.

The scene where the potential rapist had a knife kicked up his ass shows they don't shy away from violence (that was a wince inducing scene). Then again we saw Tyrell be killed in the 80s dream sequence too. So it may be he's dead but it's still a brave way to go about doing so. I'm a bit torn because I'd be annoyed at this point if Mr Robot was lying, or worse it's a metaphorical "death".

I think Elliot will be honest with us now (he said as much) but I guess it doesn't mean Mr Robot or any other potential aspects of his personality have to keep that promise.

^Yeah, the conversation about half the guys being happy added a lot. And it was kind of weird that the white guys knew Elliot. I would think people on those sites don't all know each other personally, especially the guy running the server. And how Elliot has been so isolated from fsociety this season. It all fits perfectly.

I think Elliot will be honest with us now (he said as much) but I guess it doesn't mean Mr Robot or any other potential aspects of his personality have to keep that promise.

Well, there's a lot of irony when Elliot is talking to the audience. It's the Fight Club thing. I don't really trust either his perceptions or that he won't lie to me further. I do trust the show though, since they give clues when things are wack. 

And yeah, if Tyrell is alive, that is kind of what I expect is that Mr. Robot lied to Elliot, who then relayed that false info to us. It's perfectly in sync with how Mr. Robot has behaved. He's the aspect of Elliot very focused on Fsociety's work. And he had that meeting with Tyrell. So if Tyrell is alive, certainly he is working with Mr. Robot.

Ok, forgot about one thing. The guy told Elliot he would get a letter on Tuesday and that he was supposed to do what it says. Then we get the scene with his therapist and the reveal happens. What is the letter?

33 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Ok, forgot about one thing. The guy told Elliot he would get a letter on Tuesday and that he was supposed to do what it says. Then we get the scene with his therapist and the reveal happens. What is the letter?

I assume White Rose is pulling some strings to get him out of jail.

Liked the twist, thought it was well telegraphed but made sense and didn't come out of nowhere. Shame that the dog was likely handed back to the asshole owner, tho. 

I also liked that Price doesn't really give a shit about Angela. Maybe this will finally open her eyes. I think she's going to release some shady info to the public as payback, maybe the Flint water thing. 

Also, the bull's balls almost falling on Boehner's head was priceless (if only it had been Paul Ryan!) but underwhelming. I was expecting a bigger op. Oh, well. 

And no way Tyrell is dead. 

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I would think Christian Slater would be the second lead.  If not him, then Portia Doubleday.  Certainly not Tyrell.

Not really - he's a supporting character irrespective of his "star" power. I'd give you Portia Doubleday for season 2 but based on screen time and focus Tyrell was definitely the second lead. Think back on how much of the story was focused entirely on his exploits.

On 19.8.2016 at 8:43 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I'm guessing Ray is some sort of prison official, likely the warden--I'm thinking Shawshank. Ray's mentioned sending Elliot back to the "hole" so I'm guessing his henchman is likely a guard.

@martellspy Female guard that locked him in the cell is a good guess on his mom stand-in and who Darlene was referencing during her visit to him. And someone mentioned earlier the reason for Elliot being in jail is likely related to the guy who's dog he took--that seems like a real likelihood. 

That's a great theory, everything makes sense now, thank you.

22 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

2 seasons in a row where Mr Robot ep 7 offers the big reveal...

Nothing happened in episode 7 of season 1. The big twists didn't turn up until episodes 8 and 9. Which has me excited for what's to come.

On 19.8.2016 at 8:56 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I would think Christian Slater would be the second lead.  If not him, then Portia Doubleday.  Certainly not Tyrell.

I would argue that Tyrell was the second-biggest character of season 1. On Wikipedia, Martin Wallström is mentioned ahead of Christian Slater but behind Carly Chaikin and Portia Doubleday. It would be really ballsy to kill him off and it would be really odd to do so in a side conversation off-screen in the beginning of some random episode. That's why he's still alive, in whatever capacity.

9 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

You are most welcome! Please feel free to show your gratitude by donating to my E-coin account.

I definitely will, but is it called E-coin or Bitcoin? I got a little confused about that during last episode, since they kept calling it Bitcoin, even though they clearly must've meant E-coin?

13 hours ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

That's a great theory, everything makes sense now, thank you.

Nothing happened in episode 7 of season 1. The big twists didn't turn up until episodes 8 and 9. Which has me excited for what's to come.

I would argue that Tyrell was the second-biggest character of season 1. On Wikipedia, Martin Wallström is mentioned ahead of Christian Slater but behind Carly Chaikin and Portia Doubleday. It would be really ballsy to kill him off and it would be really odd to do so in a side conversation off-screen in the beginning of some random episode. That's why he's still alive, in whatever capacity.

While I totally agree with you I'd probably say that listing might just be down to the alphabet. The lead (Malek) usually gets their name first and the big star usually gets the "and" at the end with everyone else being listed alphabetically. It's hard to say as season one didn't have a large main cast - i think it was just the 5 of them.

Below was something i thought I'd posted on Friday but my work laptop has a weird habit of not posting and then saving the message whenever I quote.

I wonder if Tyrell is now in with White Rose? It's interesting how White Rose seems to be the real power structure and Fscociety are like amateurs biting off more than they can chew.

Another neat thing about the show is that we've almost forgotten about the exchange with Angela and the FBI woman. Dom clearly know Angela is involved - she just doesn't have the evidence. It'll be interesting to see how she takes advantage of this. I also hope we get some reason why angela always looks zoned out/terrified. It's definitely intentional but it makes the character seem very distant. I wonder if drugs are involved or it's just she's having a breakdown too?

It'll be interesting to see how she takes advantage of this. I also hope we get some reason why angela always looks zoned out/terrified. It's definitely intentional but it makes the character seem very distant. I wonder if drugs are involved or it's just she's having a breakdown too?

It makes perfect sense to me. I'd be terrified if I was working for Darth Vader. And she has the additional complications of her being mixed with Fsociety's agenda, and her own possible agenda regarding her parents. She's the mouse to Price's cat, and also being leaned on by Darlene.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

It makes perfect sense to me. I'd be terrified if I was working for Darth Vader. And she has the additional complications of her being mixed with Fsociety's agenda, and her own possible agenda regarding her parents. She's the mouse to Price's cat, and also being leaned on by Darlene.

When you put it like that it makes perfect sense :)

On 2016-08-21 at 2:08 PM, Pliskin said:

Bitcoin is Bitcoin. E-coin in the show is the virtual money of E-corp used to circumvent the impossibility to withdraw cash after the crisis.

That's how I understood it. I might be wrong though.

I agree. The (grocery?) store that Dom liked to visit, that was going out of business, accepted both Bitcoin and E-coin if I remember correctly.

Finally got to watch the latest episode.  It was always obvious that he wasn't really at his mother's house, though I assumed it was a psychiatric facility of some sort.  It was a pleasant surprise for it to be a prison.  As soon as the white dudes came in the picture, I realized it was a prison.  Then the nauseating knife to ass confirmed it. 

I think this episode probably had the best dialogue. Some of it was a bit spot on, esp with the journey/destination commentary.  

I don't get how the hell they are able still be squatting in that apartment.  

I was confused by the reveal. Was everything we saw so far in Elliot's life an illusion, or just after the FBI raided Ray's place? Because I thought it odd that the FBI would just let Elliot go at that point, so I assumed Elliot went to prison, too, and his daily routine just continued in prison in the same illusion.

And I suppose if everything was an illusion, that means the part where Mr. Robot created the sitcom illusion to protect Elliot from the beating, it was an Inception style mind fuck of illusion within illusion.

How would Elliot be able to hack the FBI using a prison computer? 

He was always in prison, since the beginning of the season.  When the season started off with this super regimented daily schedule, it was clear that he was in some sort of facility.

About letting Elliot go, I didn't pay attention to everything surrounding the hack and I don't know the timing of Darlene's hack with Elliots and if they 'shook hands' or whatever (i'm super ignorant about tech stuff), but I imagine there are several options.  One, he made a deal and them letting him go was just part of the illusion.  Two, White Rose worked her magic.  Combination of both would also work.  

10 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I was confused by the reveal. Was everything we saw so far in Elliot's life an illusion, or just after the FBI raided Ray's place? Because I thought it odd that the FBI would just let Elliot go at that point, so I assumed Elliot went to prison, too, and his daily routine just continued in prison in the same illusion.

And I suppose if everything was an illusion, that means the part where Mr. Robot created the sitcom illusion to protect Elliot from the beating, it was an Inception style mind fuck of illusion within illusion.

How would Elliot be able to hack the FBI using a prison computer? 

His routine was established from the beginning of the season, that would indicate he has been in prison the whole time, his arrest/conviction taking place between seasons.    I agree with the speculation above that Ray is a prison official, even the warden running this website.   So he provided Elliot access to a computer and internet  not usually accessible to inmates.

So the FBI actually raided the prison, the administrative parts of it.  So the FBI only let him go, as in let him go back to his cell.

Archived