[BOOK SPOILERS] Ice Dragon Sighting

Dearborn

http://gfycat.com/UnawareFakeAlpaca

Pause/Play at the right moments (there's four clear frames), you pretty much see an entire dragon. It might be hard for some people to see, it took me awhile. Pause/Play the video while the shot is rising, once it slows you can only see its wings.

This is a huge spoiler for many people, even us who held crazy heart of winter / great other / ice dragon theories. Frost Breath explains how hundreds of Free Folk died in pure silence all at once outside the gate. Or it could have been an Alien abduction :cool4:

Credit to /u/robocon12 of Reddit

umm, no. you're seeing what you want to see. if they wanted to put an ice dragon in the scene it would've been apparent, not some unclear hidden mist reflection.

I thought it was a joke at first. Then I saw the shape in the mist that looks like a dragon flying up and to the right. And then I saw someone on reddit point out the odd noises.

And it would actually make plenty of sense. Lots of people believe an Ice Dragon is going to be involved somehow. A teaser such as this, that people will understand in retrospect, works nicely.

If that's what it is, and my gut is saying... a strong maybe.

I wouldn't rule out the presence of an Ice Dragon that is controlled by the Others, but I doubt the show goes there right now. Indeed, they could have made it a bit more obvious. People don't go looking for clues in the show as we do in the book. Also, it's a different media. If they had wanted us to know about an ice dragon, they would have shown such ice dragon.

IT also could be some reused shot from SB.

I can see it if I'm trying to. Some clouds look like horses or turtles to people, but they're just clouds. An ice dragon would rule though. As well ad explain how the Free Folk outside the gate just disappeared.

I wouldn't rule out the presence of an Ice Dragon that is controlled by the Others, but I doubt the show goes there right now. Indeed, they could have made it a bit more obvious. People don't go looking for clues in the show as we do in the book. Also, it's a different media. If they had wanted us to know about an ice dragon, they would have shown such ice dragon.

IT also could be some reused shot from SB.

Exactly - it's a different medium. You drop hints differently with visuals and sounds than you do with words. You can't put words in and wonder if people won't see them entirely, so you use ambiguity and misdirection. But you can put visual hints like Olenna with Sansa's necklace into a TV show and it can be totally missed or caught as an "a ha!" or a hindsight-a ha.

The argument is that they are doing exactly what you say, not REALLY "going there yet" but they have given JUST enough that it might be noticed... but not quite enough to 100% confirm it. But then you add up the cold wind and the sounds along with that visual glimpse of a dragon-shaped shadow flying up. And then later, when you do reveal the ice dragon more openly and people see what it does, they will realize "A ha! That's what was up with that giant killing wind at Hardhome."

I think they did want us to know about the ice dragon, and showed it. But they did so very subtly... this time.

No. As others have said, if they wanted to add an ice dragon it would be more than some funky clouds moving (I for one still can't see a dragon anywhere). I don't think a dragon controlled by the Others is out of the question, but that's not how they'd introduce it. Not at all.

dang, I think I see it. In your link http://gfycat.com/MetallicDistortedAlleycatthe blast of snowdrift obscures it.

I thought it was the whole shadowy area, but no.

I'm pretty sure I see the head in that clip. The darkest, fastest travelling spot from left to right about midway vertically.

Totally wasn't thinking ice dragon, but it does make sense.

Need more data.

umm, no. you're seeing what you want to see. if they wanted to put an ice dragon in the scene it would've been apparent, not some unclear hidden mist reflection.

I agree. Also, if the White Walkers had an ice dragon, would a wooden palisade stop it?

The way I see it, it was purely a cold mist indicating the drop in temperature that always appears with the arrival of the White Walkers.

As Tormund said to Jon: "A man can fight the dead, but when their masters come, when the white mists rise up … how do you fight a mist crow? Shadows with teeth … air so cold it hurts to breathe, like a knife inside your chest … you do not know, you cannot know … can your sword cut cold?"

There was more than a mist, though. There was thunder mingled with an odd noise, and a big avalanche that started where "the dragon" is allegedly seen and progresses to the right, in the direction "the dragon" appears to be flying. There is also a strong wind pushing the snow. And the cold wind seems to kill everyone instantly, which we haven't seen before. But in the "World of" description of Ice Dragons, it says their breath is believed to kill people in half a heartbeat.

Here's an interesting book reference, about the Ice Dragon constellation:

--"Thunder rumbled softly in the distance, but above him the clouds were breaking up. Jon searched the sky until he found the Ice Dragon, then turned the mare north for the Wall and Castle Black"--

Hmmm. Thunder association. Yes, it refers to looking at the constellation, but still. GRRM uses words this way a lot, weaving tapestries and themes.

Obviously if there was an ice dragon there, it wasn't being used to its full extent in this attack, for the meta "teaser" reason if nothing else.

I thought this was tinfoil at first. But... now I think I see it. Wow.

Yeah, I went from "Naaah" to about 95% convinced since last night when I stumbled onto this thread. The more I watch the scene, think about it, and research all the info and theories on ice dragons, the more it makes sense. There's so much evidence in the books about ice dragons. Among many other things, Jon Snow thinks about Ice Dragons four times in ADWD. Two of those times he's thinking about the tales of how cold their breath is.

I think this is the teaser reveal that will seem more obvious after the later Big Reveal.

Archived