[BOOK SPOILERS] Ice Dragon Sighting

Dearborn

All other considerations aside, The Walkers need a counter to Dany's dragons. They are way, way too susceptible to a fiery aerial attack otherwise.

Yeah. The whole flying thing seems like a pretty huge advantage.

It could be anything:

1) Just random shadows

2) An easter egg put in by the animator intended to look kinda like one but not actually part of the plot

3) Part of the plot and intended to be pretty hidden

Who knows? Interesting catch, tho.

As Tormund said to Jon: "A man can fight the dead, but when their masters come, when the white mists rise up … how do you fight a mist crow? Shadows with teeth … air so cold it hurts to breathe, like a knife inside your chest … you do not know, you cannot know … can your sword cut cold?"

Actually, "shadows with teeth" is a great way to describe a dragon. At least, for what this one scene hints, it can be that the Others have a dragon.

I would have to check the books for the descriptions they have about dragon fire because I'm sure "can your sword cut fire" is something that can be used to describe it as well.

can't really see a Dragon, just some darker clouds.

Lore wise Ice dragons are possible. The others ride undead horses. So if they once upon a time came upon a dead dragon, maybe they would have been able to resurrect it.

This "dragons are fire made flesh" thing kinda speaks against it... but still possible that the others were able to turn one of R'hllors creatures into Ice.

Also would serve as an explanation how there was suddenly silence behind the gate at Hardhome...

But still, so far I am not convinced about an ice dragon. If they had it, Castle black would not stand a chance for a single second. And Danys dragons are yet far far away.

If would give the Others SUCH a huge advante, we would not have to discuss about the battle of winterfell, everybody would be a wight in a few days.

So no, overall don't think they have an ice dragon.

I don't see anyhting BUT it is mentioned in the making of trailer that there is a monster (singular) behind the stockade that they're desperate to keep out. Plus I don't think it feasible that thousands of Wildlings would have been killed in just a few seconds by the Wights.

OTOH this would be a very subtle hint, and as we know D&D do not do subtle.

Something I've wondered is why was there such a massacre at Hardhome? For the most part everywhere else we heard about the Others they were creeping behind picking off people here and there.

Then someone mentioned something interesting in another thread (sorry don't remember where I read out) about the Others activity. Why did they attack these places. ... the Fist had the dragon glass stash, Sam singled out (dragon glass again), LC Mormont had a valerian steal sword in his room. These things can kill the Others so of course they would want to get rid of them. Was there something at Hardhome?

I can't recall the lore about HH but something big went down there in the past correct? Something devastating. I feel like people have even speculated that there could have been volcanic activity. HH has a bunch of caves as well correct? I bet that's a good hiding place for a dragon. But where would the dragon come from?

Well Summer may have seen a dragon above Winterfell after it was destroyed. If one truly escaped maybe HH is where it went. I do think something was hidden/captive in WF,otherwise why make such a big deal about a Stark always needing to be in WF? Don't know much about ice dragons, but maybe it could just be a regular dragon. Maybe that why the Others were attacking HH?

I don't see anyhting BUT it is mentioned in the making of trailer that there is a monster (singular) behind the stockade that they're desperate to keep out. Plus I don't think it feasible that thousands of Wildlings would have been killed in just a few seconds by the Wights.

OTOH this would be a very subtle hint, and as we know D&D do not do subtle.

Olenna grabbing Sansa's poison necklace was very, very subtle. Who knows, maybe next episode we're going to get some lines from Jon and Tormund while they're on the ship like

Jon: How the hell did those wildlings outside of the gate die so fast without any screams?

Tormund: It remains to be a mystery.

Which would hint that the wights weren't responsible for the death of those outside the gates. Could be ice dragons, or spiders or whatever.

Olenna grabbing Sansa's poison necklace was very, very subtle. Who knows, maybe next episode we're going to get some lines from Jon and Tormund while they're on the ship like

Jon: How the hell did those wildlings outside of the gate die so fast without any screams?

Which would hint that the wights weren't responsible for the death of those outside the gates. Could be ice dragons, or spiders or whatever.

In the beginning of horror /battle scene, I have noticed three different snowy zones.

Which could maybe mean, three Ice Dragons.

Three Dragons of the Ice vs Three Dragons of the Fire

Maybe...

Then someone mentioned something interesting in another thread (sorry don't remember where I read out) about the Others activity. Why did they attack these places. ... the Fist had the dragon glass stash, Sam singled out (dragon glass again), LC Mormont had a valerian steal sword in his room. These things can kill the Others so of course they would want to get rid of them. Was there something at Hardhome?

I can't recall the lore about HH but something big went down there in the past correct? Something devastating. I feel like people have even speculated that there could have been volcanic activity. HH has a bunch of caves as well correct? I bet that's a good hiding place for a dragon. But where would the dragon come from?

Hardhome was destroyed in some massive fiery calamity so big the glow could be seen from The Wall. This happened 600 years ago, or 300 years before Aegon's Conquest. Nobody knows what happened. The current attack on Hardhome happened 300 years after Aegon's Conquest. Coincidence? Don't know...

Does an undead thing, in ASoIaF, retain any magical power it had as a living thing? Could an undead dragon breath fire - would be kind of hazardous around the undead troops, if so :)

My hunch is that fire dragons can't be raised as undead servants to Night's King in the way other creatures can. I think Ice Dragons will be their own thing.

Yes, there is bound to be major discussion and WTFing about what happened. So we could well get more hints.

At first I was looking at the mist and could not see anything.

Then I saw the shape flying behind the mist.

Is it possible when they filmed the shot a real bird flew by they just left it, then added the visual effects over? (seems unlikely to me but i am not graphics designer.)

Obviously nothing is set in stone, but if I had to give a guess, I would say it looks like a Dragon 100%.

I don't think the show is ready to go into ice dragon territory yet - if that is indeed what that shape was - but could it be dropping a subtle hint of things to come?

Maybe. I'm not 100% convinced on this being an ice dragon tease, though.

It could be an undead/reanimated dragon. It would make sense that, if the Others have been preparing for this for a very long time and it would make sense they'd have a counter to the 'traditional' dragons. Whether this comes in the form of ice dragons or reanimated dragon corpses, time will tell.

I´m also not convinvced (yet ;)).

Having said that. This thread reminds me of another about someone seeing something glowing in the forest during the Sam vs White Walker scene.

At the time I (and others) dismissed it as some random glitch.

But if the glitches start accumulating its maybe worth to be on the watch out.

And I would freaking love an ice dragon!

I´ll try and search for the thread.

Its seems logical that they would have some undead dragons in their army.

Why?

Well, they clearly can reanimate horses, humans (rumour giant spiders).

And considering the others are what 8000+ years old? (or history talks about them that far back).

Why would it be unlikely that at some point in the pats, a dragon died in the north (either fighting the others, or maybe just from the cold). The other stumble upon the dead dragon and revive it.

Not saying the show would introduce an undead dragon (however that would be amazing), but at least in my mind it seem plausible they could have one (or many).

Also, there has to be something more to all the wildlings simply dieing outside the gate. If the others can simply super freeze an area and kill everything, why do they need to even fight? Just stand back, freeze the village and win.

Archived