Varamyr? [book spoilers]

Do they really need warging, though? They may think it would needlessly cost them time.

If he's injured, they can just say he's alive, but in coma. No warging needed.

If he's dead, the person who's supposed to ressurect him will ressurect him anyway, whether he's in Ghost or not. They've already introduced Beric, who didn't warg anything.

Yes, if Jon wargs Ghost then it is important. Everytime Beric was revived he lost a piece of himself, but if Jon wargs Ghost then goes back into his own body then Jon's mind should be fine. Here's a hypothetical, Jon is stabbed and "dies" but he wargs Ghost, so his physical body is dead, but his mind/spirit/essence is inside Ghost. Then Jon's body is revived and Jon's mind/spirit/essence is returned to his body. In this hypothetical situation did Jon actually die? Due to spending prolonged time in Ghost's body Jon may be a bit more wolfish on his return, but that isn't a bad thing.

I agree. Dondarrion's style of resurrection will not work for Jon. Essentially, be it through warging with Ghost or something else, Jon can't actually 'die' and be reborn. I'm not sure that the Beric resurrection wasn't actually some sort of possession by a creature (spirit, whathaveyou) that moved on to LSH when the Lightning lord breathed his last breath to bring Cat back. What I really wonder about (because the books are SO much more interesting to me that the TV show) is once resurrected (or whatever) will Jon remain a POV character or will what he experiences after FTW be somewhat hidden from us by the reports of others.

Yes, if Jon wargs Ghost then it is important. Everytime Beric was revived he lost a piece of himself, but if Jon wargs Ghost then goes back into his own body then Jon's mind should be fine. Here's a hypothetical, Jon is stabbed and "dies" but he wargs Ghost, so his physical body is dead, but his mind/spirit/essence is inside Ghost. Then Jon's body is revived and Jon's mind/spirit/essence is returned to his body. In this hypothetical situation did Jon actually die? Due to spending prolonged time in Ghost's body Jon may be a bit more wolfish on his return, but that isn't a bad thing.

Well, that's expecting that he'll truly die. But guess what, even if he does, the show can simply ignore the consequences of being resurrected. It's not like if they are terribly concerned interested in keeping details straight.

I feel like the final scene will be a close up of Jon's face as he is being stabbed, and his eyes going white.

I was thinking the same. I remembered Jon fighting Orell, and Orell warging his eagle... I wish there's a "previously in Game of Thrones" and they go back to that very scene, perhaps Bran warging Summer during that confrontation as well, so the association for the viewers is made. I doubt they keep Jon's fate uncertain til season 6 due to the impossibility to keep KH's casting under wraps.

Varamyr appeared briefly in the Hardhome episode when the White Walkers were arriving. He was the old bearded guy going out of the tent with the animals.

Interesting...I had heard they cast Varamyr and was wondering if they just cut him entirely. I would think they would give us a quick scene with him to basically do his one sentence prologue about wargs dying and moving into their animals, but maybe that was it?

You are correct, if they don't address it soon, it won't translate well.

Symantics, I meant Skinchange when referring to Dragons. Wargs in Norse mythology refer to a group of monstrous wolves descended from the God, Loki. I suspect GRRM derived something of the divinity aspect when creating the wargs of ASOIAF. There was a divine aspect involved via The Old Gods when the Stark children (and Jon) were gifted the direwolf pups. What were the chances that so many children in one family were wargs?

As to why I suggest why wargs and skinchangers are important to the story, I have pulled this from the Wiki, abridged:

“A skinchanger is a person with the ability to enter the mind of an animal and control its actions. It is much easier for a skinchanger to do so if a bond exists between the two parties. A skinchanger able to enter the mind of a wolf or dog is known as a warg…………… It is said the greatest of the skinchangers were the greenseers, who amongst many other things were also wargs. The greatest amongst them could wear the skin of any beast. One man in a thousand is born a skinchanger, and one skinchanger in a thousand could be a greenseer.”

Yes, correct, see above. If it factors in a war of ice vs. fire and is helpful to control dragons, well, it could be really important. A Dragon rider can fall or be killed, but a skinchanger can still control a beast they are not touching. As Bran's abilities are among the greatest ever known, I think his role in the future fight could be pretty important.

Back to the OP, not sure if Varamyr will appear or not, but if they wish to include this kind of mentor for Jon, the sooner it happens, the more believable it will be. Varamyr recognized Jon's abilities in the books, so perhaps they will adapt this some way in the show. But who knows?

Good post. Yeah, I think Bran is gonna fly his ice dragon and anyone associated with R'hllor better watch out.

• 2 weeks later...

it isn't mutual with boars or whatever else? Serious question.

No. Varamyr says his shadow cat raged every time he entered her mind. Some animals are more cooperative in the joining and each animal has it's pros and cons.

you can't warg a dragon because a dragon isn't a wolf or a dog.

Right. Warg is wolf only. But you could (in theory) skinchange a dragon or dog. Varamyr tells us that birds will help you see but spending too much time in their minds will make a skinchanger long to be up in the clouds. Dogs are easy bc they're so close to man. Cats are vein and cruel. And so on.

Archived