Varamyr? [book spoilers]

There was a casting rumor for Varamyr, but he hasn't appeared yet. Will he be in episode 9, maybe he is the hooded person on the boat?

In the books Varamyr is a warg dying in the ADwD prologue. He wargs into one of his wolves to live his second life when his human life ends. Many book readers assume this to be a blueprint for Jon warging into Ghost when he gets stabbed in the end.

However, if Varamyr will not show up in episode 9 it would feel like deus ex machina for Jon to warg into Ghost, so he won't?

I am hoping that he will tell Jon he is a warg this episode. If they are sensible then they have Arya skin changing early in episode 10 to remind viewers what it looks like then have Jon's eyes going white at the end. They should probably have had the dogs coming round to Sansa earlier in the season as well but that would have require them to think beyond dogs=scary=run away.

There were Three People in the boat when Jon, Tormund and Edd left, they were Baratheon supporters and were waiting for the lord commander

Oh, didnt even notice there were Baratheon soldiers ! But it makes sense that his men are crewing the ships.

Anyway, it would be awesome that hints of Jon AND Arya's abilities to warg feature this episode. And yeah, if Varamyr hasnt been - in the end - cut completely, episode 9 is the last chance for him to appear.

Would be damn cool to see both Jon and Arya going into warg mode in 510 !

The point is if Varamyr isn't in episode 9 to hint at Jon's warging, there is no setup for Jon to warg after FTW. This implies either:

- FTW does not happen 😡

- he is only wounded 😡

- he gets resurrected

- he is dead and stays dead

If Melisandre isn't returning to the wall in ep. 9, the only one to resurrect him is the leader of the blue man group.

Oh, didnt even notice there were Baratheon soldiers ! But it makes sense that his men are crewing the ships.

Anyway, it would be awesome that hints of Jon AND Arya's abilities to warg feature this episode. And yeah, if Varamyr hasnt been - in the end - cut completely, episode 9 is the last chance for him to appear.

Would be damn cool to see both Jon and Arya going into warg mode in 510 !

Why not the first scene in EP10, like the flashback of Cersei was in EP01? I'm pretty sure that's where they'll stick Varamyr, since he is supposed to be in, as there were casting calls for him. That way it's very obvious what's going on at the end of the episode. They don't want people wondering if their favorite character just kicked the bucket for good.

I truly dont think there will be any other flashback this season.

If Varamyr is this season, I'm sure he's part of the wildlings that returned from Hardhome (perhaps the actor wasnt available to shoot there, perhaps he didnt fit in the episode plot wise, or perhaps even he's that other redhead dude we've seen - but that's Mastodon leader, I doubt he has a further role). So even if he doesnt have any speaking line in 509, we should see him in the background at Castle Black (similar to how Karl fookin' Tanner was introduced without speaking in 304).

Why do people assume Jon is dead in the books? GRRM has already confirmed he is in a coma-like state when WoW begins.

My thinking is that he might warg to Ghost in the books and make some sort of discovery - Bran is alive, what the WWs are up to, how they will need to battle the WWs. Something along those lines. Maybe all of them.

I think he recovers conventionally, or through some Weirwood or Blood magic, but not a full resurrection. He can't afford to go full Lightning Lord, much less Stoneheart. He'll wake to the Wall in chaos with the Wildlings taking over or in some sort of standoff with the remains of the Watch and the Queen's entourage. Marsh will be dead. Whatever he wanted to do in the south will have already worked itself out. His job will be to get everyone on the same page.

P.S., Arya will be in the North, having been conscripted a "Braavosi sellsword" by Justin Massey.

I think the role of Varamyr turned into Karsi along the way.

According to Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Karsi was originally supposed to be a man before the writers made some changes. So most likely, we've already seen "Varamyr".

I don't believe D&D are going to have anyone warg except Bran. Maybe due to cost or trouble with filming wolves. We've seen zero indication of anyone warging but Bran and this late would be a huge BS moment, IMHO. Not even dreams or visions. I don't think you warg only when in dire straights when it's the very first time. Mel will save Jon, and Arya won't warg at all either.

There is a wilding man who emerges from a tent surrounded by dogs at approximately the 44:54 time of the episode who would be my guess for Varamyr if he appears in the next two episodes. I couldn't screen capture the image unfortunately, but the camera gave him a pretty good closeup.

I see who you're referring to.

For me, it seems he was just an extra, but who knows, maybe he'll show up against next episode.

That being said, I could totally see that Varamyr ended up being Karsi and the character had nothing plot related to warging beside sharing his name with one in the books.

There is a wilding man who emerges from a tent surrounded by dogs at approximately the 44:54 time of the episode who would be my guess for Varamyr if he appears in the next two episodes. I couldn't screen capture the image unfortunately, but the camera gave him a pretty good closeup.

The moment he popped up onscreen, I thought that was him. He fits the basic description, or at least his hair does, plus dogs...

We'll see next episode I guess, when they get to Castle Black. Or the one after that. ;)

I don't believe D&D are going to have anyone warg except Bran. Maybe due to cost or trouble with filming wolves. We've seen zero indication of anyone warging but Bran and this late would be a huge BS moment, IMHO. Not even dreams or visions. I don't think you warg only when in dire straights when it's the very first time. Mel will save Jon, and Arya won't warg at all either.

We've had a couple of Wildlings warg already. In fact they made a big deal out of a character warging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4GK74GCno8&t=1m14s

I think the idea is not to have too many wargs. Otherwise it makes it seem less special.

Archived