Astronomy of Ice and Fire: Children of the Dawn, Part Two

LmL

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, LmL, thus is all awesome!

Any ideas as to what could have caused the comet-in-the-moon? The true "gods" of Martinverse?

Also, what gods, if any, do you suppose are real? Like the seven, r'hllor, etc. Or do you beleive none of those are right and the "true" gods or God is something still undiscovered? Or better yet, each religion is "true" to the extent that their belief is a part of the true cosmology, but not completely true?

Personally, I'd like to know that there are gods in Martinverse. And that, in your theory, that they sent that comet for some purpose.

Another thing I did not see you talking about is the origin of the Others: where did they come from? Could the various races (human, cotf, others) be individual creations of different gods? Could there be another species? Perhaps an opposite to Others that would be the equivalent of high elves? Thus they would be the "fire elves" as the Others are the "ice elves" (they would now appear to be made entirely of Ice because the destruction of the fire moon "ascended" them. If the other moon had fallen, the fire elves would appear flamy. Just realized that R'hllor symbolizes the fire moon and the Great Other the ice moon) Then, these elves would have bred with some humans and created the Valyrians - explaining the "blood of the Dragon".

Sorry for the confusion! I got really excited! When will the next part be ready? Where will it be posted first?

Just thought of two other things >< :
- do you think the GEotD will be mentioned in the upcoming novels?
- doesn't Valyria fill that "Atlantis" spot? A great civilization of the past who used to be more advanced and is now left in ruins.

LmL, along the lines of piecing together the Geodawnian Long Night grand myth, I had an idea about the woman with the monkeys tail http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/135315-Woman-with-a-monkey-tail%252C-possible-suspect

I didn't go into it in the post, but if it's a hint at Ariadne, it might tie in with a with a whole heap of "fallen goddess" imagery. Ariadne is speculated to be a representation of the Cretan "mistress of the labyrinth" (ie the Minoan Great Goddess, went by many names, including "kore", the maiden), who was replaced by the male-dominated Olympian gods of the Myceneans (she was cast down by Zeus?). The Minoans seem to be a big influence, since Crete is also the source of the Atlantis story of course (Santorini eruption), and full of bull imagery as well.

Archived