Mad Max contd: further along the Fury Road [spoilers]

Fez

Me too. One of my goals for the third viewing is to confirm that the fat mayor of GasTown has nipple piercings that he plays with given the easy access he has to his nipples from a nipple cutout suit. It was like something I saw out of the corner of my eye the first time, the second time I had a 'wait, wut' moment, this third time I want to fully enjoy it.

I can confirm this. However he isn't fat, or isn't ONLY hefty, he has gout. Crazy thing about the ipple rings, now that i think about it, rubbing them might be a form of pain killer.

Anyway, enjoy and let us know how it is upon third viewing.

On the subject of him and the bulletfarmer, I read somewhere they were Immortan Joe's brothers. Was that implied in the movie because I think I missed that connection?

One of them, I think the bullet farmer, says something like "What are you waiting for brother?" at one point to Joe after all three war parties met up and before the bullet farmer went all 'scales of justice.'

It seems to odd to think that the three of them are actually brothers though, what with how cavalierly Joe kills the Gastown mayor when Max has him as a human shield. So I just thought of it as shorthand for something else, like "fellow warlord."

Saw it for a second time, loved it even more. Like others I picked up on things I didn't really notice the first time around, like the People Eater's nipple rings.

I like the idea of the exploding lances though the Buzzard guys have the best cars. And related to my question in the previous thread I don't think the Buzzards and the Canyon Bikers are related, the former don't even speak bloody English

On the subject of him and the bulletfarmer, I read somewhere they were Immortan Joe's brothers. Was that implied in the movie because I think I missed that connection?

The Bullet Farmer called Joe "brother" but I don't think they're family, just another way of saying "mate"

I remember seeing on Reddit I think that apparently there's prequel comics and in them Joe was an Army Colonel and the Bullet Farmer was one of his subordinates in the army

Me too. One of my goals for the third viewing is to confirm that the fat mayor of GasTown has nipple piercings that he plays with given the easy access he has to his nipples from a nipple cutout suit. It was like something I saw out of the corner of my eye the first time, the second time I had a 'wait, wut' moment, this third time I want to fully enjoy it.

LOL - he DOES have weird nipple piercings with a chain connecting them. Noticed straight away the first time and second time kept chuckling to myself.

I wonder why she wasn't deemed worthy. Was she infertile or was it the arm that disqualified her? Related to that, how did she lose her arm exactly. I saw someone brought up that she might have lost the arm because of a genetic deffect, but isn't it more likely that it was lobbed of at some point? I mean, that's what I assumed. Especially when I heard about the plan for a prequel, seems like a no-brainer to adress the lost limb there

Oh I am sure they called Jo 'brother' at one point but I also heard one of them say 'daddy' so I was so confused because I was alternating between thinking they were Joe's brothers and then Joe's SONS even though they were old - so I was thinking...how OLD *is* Joe??? Or maybe HIS dad was a Warlord and the FIRST Immortan Joe??? And his sons were our Immortan Joe and those two who were all the leaders of their respective communities.

THIS IS WHY THIS MOVIE IS SOOO GOOD - ALL show and almost all NO tell so for us lot with good imaginations we are just connecting the dots, filling the blanks for this world.

I also think Furiosa may have been born with one arm so that would have spared her being a "prize breeder". But I assume she's experienced sexual violence at some point in that world when she was younger before making the choice to shave off her hair and wear the black paint kinda like a warboy.

Actually, strike that. Immortan Joe's world has put warboys - guys with visible tumors, deformities and suffering cancers and the like - ahead of women in the army. People who are actually less capable as fighters due to their illness (and a requirement that they get blood transfusions to even function) are put in the forefront over completely capable women who can fight.

Why do you think that is?

This is what really annoys me about feminism. They look at all male dominated activities and assume privilege. Nope being a drugged up war slave, guaranteed a horrible painful death in some battle is not a mark of privilege. And what females in Citadel were superior fighters? Um Furiosa? What did she do again?

Uh, isn't a more plausible reason that the wives are the most obvious and accessible targets for rescue? The warboys don't want to be freed, even the wee ones, so good luck with that. And Furiosa doesn't have any contact with (or probably even sympathy for) the bloodbags. Whereas the wives quite explicitly want their freedom for themselves and their children (they specifically state so in their goodbye message to Joe).

So yeah, Furiosa rescues the wives because they're captive against their will and she has had contact with them through their positions in Joe's society. She does it because she recognizes their plight (and their unborn children's), having been captured herself as a child. This by itself makes perfect sense, as opposed to rescuing warboys or blooodbags, so why would there need to be more reasons?

Joe's wives have value as they're not genetic mutants and they're hot. Furiosa obviously knew them all quite well, these women who were kept locked in a steel vault. So that must prove that Joe didn't trust her or had little to do with her because reasons.

Soo.... what in the movie indicates Rictus is of sub-standard intellect? I can't recall anything. I'm not saying it doesn't exist - just that I don't recall it from my single viewing a few weeks ago.

And no - saying "I had a brother and he was perfect" doesn't count. It just means his first brother wasn't physically perfect and his second is. If people want to imply that he's comparing the perfect brother to his own short-comings, well... he would have no way of knowing his baby brother wouldn't also have been equally (allegedly) stupid. All he could know is the baby was physically perfect (unlike his other brother).

Soo.... what in the movie indicates Rictus is of sub-standard intellect? I can't recall anything. I'm not saying it doesn't exist - just that I don't recall it from my single viewing a few weeks ago.

And no - saying "I had a brother and he was perfect" doesn't count. It just means his first brother wasn't physically perfect and his second is. If people want to imply that he's comparing the perfect brother to his own short-comings, well... he would have no way of knowing his baby brother wouldn't also have been equally (allegedly) stupid. All he could know is the baby was physically perfect (unlike his other brother).

It's the way he said it. The cadence made him sound like he either had a speech impediment or a mental one. Earlier, he fought with his deformed brother Corpus over the telescope...

"I wanna see, I wanna see!"

ETA: I guess it's possible that this was due to the fact that his jaw is half strapped on, but I got the strong impression that he was somewhat "special".

In the medical field, Rictus is what we call 'A few cents short of a dollar'.

In Texas, he's what we'd refer too as a, 'he'd eat a spoon full of dirt if you told him it tasted like chocolate.'

This is what really annoys me about feminism. They look at all male dominated activities and assume privilege. Nope being a drugged up war slave, guaranteed a horrible painful death in some battle is not a mark of privilege.

In that society it kind of is though, especially compared to the women who are locked in a vault and raped by a cancerous old man, or the women who are literally used as cows. Hell there are guys now who'd sign up for an excuse to blow shit up with the lads.

In that society it kind of is though, especially compared to the women who are locked in a vault and raped by a cancerous old man, or the women who are literally used as cows. Hell there are guys now who'd sign up for an excuse to blow shit up with the lads.

why even bother? homeboy will just stay mad. not worth it.

It's the way he said it. The cadence made him sound like he either had a speech impediment or a mental one. Earlier, he fought with his deformed brother Corpus over the telescope...

"I wanna see, I wanna see!"

ETA: I guess it's possible that this was due to the fact that his jaw is half strapped on, but I got the strong impression that he was somewhat "special".

Also there's the way he reacts to and tastes the jar of mothers milk that Joe hands him at the Citadel.

I thought he was obviously supposed to have some mental handicaps. Especially since, otherwise, why wouldn't he be Joe's heir? Sure he also seems to need some sort of respirator, but so does Joe.

This is what really annoys me about feminism. They look at all male dominated activities and assume privilege. Nope being a drugged up war slave, guaranteed a horrible painful death in some battle is not a mark of privilege. And what females in Citadel were superior fighters? Um Furiosa? What did she do again?

It was clearly a privilege in Joe's world to be a warboy. They get water. They get medicine. They get food. They get to drive. They appear, largely, happy. Compare to the beggars who are fighting each other over water and yes - that's a pretty big privilege. But ultimately it doesn't matter, because it's clear that women could do that role regardless - and they weren't. That they could do that role and didn't implies segregation based on sex, which implies sexism. It's not even about privilege at that point - it's simply watching the movie and seeing that no woman is a warboy and that the warboys weren't particularly awesome fighters. This has literally nothing to do with privilege.

Also, what doesn't Furiosa do? She kills Joe. She can hit a target in the dark with a sniper rifle at 500 yards. She stands toe to toe with Max in a fight. She shoots motorcyclists out of the air like skeet shooting while driving.

Women in the citadel didn't fight because they weren't apparently allowed to. Women outside the citadel fought pretty damn well. Which again - sort of the point.

Joe's wives have value as they're not genetic mutants and they're hot. Furiosa obviously knew them all quite well, these women who were kept locked in a steel vault. So that must prove that Joe didn't trust her or had little to do with her because reasons.

False equivalency. The argument was that Furiosa is not Joe's second in command. Which she's not. That doesn't say Joe doesn't trust her. That doesn't say Joe had little to do with her. It just says that she wasn't one of their inner circle.

But hey, can you explain how you came to the conclusion that Furiosa's plan was to sell the nonexistent tanker full of gas she had and also to sell the wives so that she would have clear passage? That'd be awesome.

I just honestly can't believe someone watched the same movie as I did if they genuinely believe Furiosa would have sold the wives for passage. The mind just boggles...

No way in hell would she have done that. She very CLEARLY states her whole purpose is REDEMPTION and considering how INSTANTLY Joe checks on his wives as soon as he suspects her of going rogue it seems she clearly had contact with them, was 'friends' with them and that indicates he trusted her...

I mean...I do not want to sound like a bitch and I understand this movie was all show and no tell but some of the things people are saying but makes me think we were not watching the same movie...I know I have seen it twice but I picked up on a lot of things the first time even and i don't particularly think i'm smart or good at analyzing movies like critics are but there's TONS of stuff going on in this movie if you're paying attention...

I am debating going a third time :P If it's still in cinemas by mid june when I go home for a bit I will go with one of my old friends to see it

I have no idea how someone could come away with the idea that she was going to sell the wives. Even who to? She already had a deal with the Canyon bikers for the petrol and past them it was only a short drive to where the Green Place used to be. If the escape attempt was just for her and she felt the risk of some big new faction having risen between the Canyon and the Green Place why not just trade the water and milk she had anyway?

Why take the one "thing" thats guaranteed to get a huge reaction from Joe and have a bunch of war parties on your arse just for the sake of having something to barter with?

I didn't get the impression that Furiosa was attempt to redeem herself for crimes specifically against women, but more for her general participation in and enablement of Joe's regime.

The wives make sense as the only non-willing captives who were also capable of escaping - although I'd also say that it was highly probable Furiosa would have experienced some sort of sexual slavery in her time so it's likely their plight resonated with her in a way that, say, the milkers' didn't.

I have no idea how someone could come away with the idea that she was going to sell the wives. Even who to? She already had a deal with the Canyon bikers for the petrol and past them it was only a short drive to where the Green Place used to be. If the escape attempt was just for her and she felt the risk of some big new faction having risen between the Canyon and the Green Place why not just trade the water and milk she had anyway?

Why take the one "thing" thats guaranteed to get a huge reaction from Joe and have a bunch of war parties on your arse just for the sake of having something to barter with?

Agreed. If Furiosa had just deserted without stealing the wives, I wouldn't have been surprised if Joe didn't even bother chasing her.

The movie didn't explicitly play Furiosa fucked over other women to get where she is, but in a society it makes sense that she would have to and I really like the theories coming up in this thread that maybe she was part of a raid on capturing one of the women.

People need to maybe stop saying ''the movie doesn't say that'' because, well...the movie doesn't SAY much lol but it shows a hell of a lot.

until the sequels (hopefully) come out i see no harm in connecting the dots how we see fit and creating the world around this film - it's fun !!!!! and keeps us thinking and talking about the movie :) :)

People need to maybe stop saying ''the movie doesn't say that'' because, well...the movie doesn't SAY much lol but it shows a hell of a lot.

This is not really an argument for anything. Unless someone can point out where the movie shows something that supports the theory, there's no real validity to it. Yeah, it's a cool piece of fan fiction, but many ideas are. People love to build on the things they like and fill out the intentional gaps with unintended meaning.

Archived