[Book Spoilers] Did Eastwatch suddenly disappear?

Money would be my guess.

Sure it exists in the show canon, but they probably didn't bother to build a set for it yet. It's cheaper just to have Jon bring them to Castle Black.

Yeah call it show logic. They thought it would be cool to have that tension at the gate at Castle Black when Jon returns with the Wildlings, so they add it to the show. Never mind logic or consistency.

Eastwatch does exist in the show, see http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Eastwatch-by-the-Sea

In every season except season 4 Eastwatch was mentioned.

I understand that television is a different medium than a book but they just keep adding stuff for the drama/shock value/sex without considering whether it would even be possible/logical/consistent in show!Westeros.

If you read that link, it says:

Eastwatch, or Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, is a castle and port located at the far eastern end of the Wall, where the Wall drops into an inlet of the Shivering Sea called the Bay of Seals.

So there is no wall at Eastwatch, only a castle, and landing boats can send troops either north or south of the wall - explaining how Stannis got all his troops so easily north. NB, this does not disregard that it is stupid of Jon to approach from the north, only pointing out that it isn't a physical impossibility for him to do so.

Jon Snow approaching the Wall by the North was retarded. But that wasn't the only illogic scene in last episode.

For example: how did Davos know that 20 Bolton men were responsible for the fires in the camp? No one had seen those men. And no one should have seen, since (1) at happened at night and (2) it would be really stupid from Ramsay and his men to move as a single unit, rather than spread.

And the show made the Unsullied look even more incompetent. It looks like they were all enjoying the fights, rather than keeping Daenerys safe, since no one noticed the Son of Harpy attacking Daenerys, before Jorah killed him with a spear.

Lots of equally stupid scenes happened throughout the season, the most notable example was episode 7, where Sam and Gilly were saved by "Ghost ex machina" (Shouldn't Jon Snow have taken Ghost? And if he chose to let it in the wall, shouldn't it be in the Kennels?), the poisoning of Bronn turned out to be just an excuse to show boobies and everything that happened to Tyrion until he reached Daenerys was extremely convenient.

I trust D&D to continue the show post A Dance with Dragons to write a cool show with good action scenes and shocking moments. But I don't trust them at all to refrain from advancing the plot in stupid ways and sacrificing logic in favor of drama. Brace yourselves, Dork Ages are coming for Game of Thrones.

Eh, it didn't make much sense...but as others have pointed out, it was done for dramatic affect. In the end, it was the same result. If they hadn't been allowed through the gate, then it would have been a glaring plot hole.

maybe off topic, but anyone else think Thorne is just a redherring and will die trying to defend Jon in the FTW segment?

i could see it

Yah well show has always given a big fuck you to geography at every given opportunity.

i always felt the book yadda yadda a bunch of it too

99% of show only viewers don't know much if anything about the geography. They are familiar with the Wall and tunnel at Castle Black, and all the tension with the Wildlings coming over is there. If not Jon could have just had the Wildlings travel to wherever they were going with the rest of the crew and he could have returned to Castle Black alone. They wanted to show off a bunch of pissed off crows.

I thought it was odd too. Guessing they just did that so we could have the little scene of Jon and the wildlings entering the gate...because if they took the ships to Eastwatch, they would have been south of the wall and just walked up to castle black.

I swear this show has turned into one large poorly written cluster**** for all the reasons stated here and in multiple other threads...

Yeah, I don't really know what else to say besides this ^. The show constantly sacrifices logic and continuity so frequently for the sake of drama or shock value, what other explanation is there? It's gotten so silly that most of these issues don't even merit analysis or discussion, they're continuity errors, plain and simple.

My sense is that the writers no longer sit around the table and ask "Now, how do we translate these chapters on to the screen?" but instead sit around and ask random interns "Hey, what would be cool?"

When I saw Jon looking up in the Promo I just thought "wait.. that makes zero sense". They would have docked at East watch so travelling on the northern side of the wall and leaving yourselves in danger would be insanity. Also they were all on foot carrying no supplies that I could see.. Remember how many supplies it to for the Nights watch to range to the Fist?

Even if the ships had all sunk or run aground or been frozen Eastwatch would have been far closer. This is what happens when you allow for the cool shot to

override logic.

When I saw Jon looking up in the Promo I just thought "wait.. that makes zero sense". They would have docked at East watch so travelling on the northern side of the wall and leaving yourselves in danger would be insanity. Also they were all on foot carrying no supplies that I could see.. Remember how many supplies it to for the Nights watch to range to the Fist?

Even if the ships had all sunk or run aground or been frozen Eastwatch would have been far closer. This is what happens when you allow for the cool shot to override logic.

This is exactly what I thought. I was disoriented. Wait, what is John doing north of the wall if he sailed? Does this mean he docked before the wall and walked along the north side of the wall all the way to Castle Black? WTF?

But then I remembered that this is the "adaptation" in which Sansa is married to Ramsay Bolton.

Minor issue #1529 and counting. They add up, you see.

I'm sure I could come up with just as many 'minor issues' about the books.

They add up, you know.

The real answer is that they probably just didn't have the money for anything else. It happens.

Archived