[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

I can not believe that Davos would ever follow Stannis again after what he did. Loyalty be damned.

Well, think about this. GRRM did tell Liam Cunningham something "shocking" about Davos character. If it isn't that he's Azor Ahai, then he it has to be that he stops following Stannis.

And what reason would Davos have to stop following Stannis?

SO THEY MADE THE WHOLE THING ABOUT SAVING DANY THE DAMSEL IN DISTRESS AND NOT ABOUT HER FINDING OUT HER TRUE SELF I HATE YOU HBO! I FUCKING HATE YOU FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU HBO SHES THE MOST POWERFUL WOMAN OF THE WORLD SHE NEEDS NO FUCKING SAVE! DIE DIE DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The fuck is she going to do there? She has no combat skills. The end of it was about her finding herself when the dragon started listening to her and she hopped on. There is still time for contemplation on said dragon next week where she sits there talking through these revelations with drogon.

Relevant quote from David Benioff from the Inside the Episode, and I'm bolding it so that you all read it:

When George first told us about this, it was one of those moments that I remember looking at Dan, it was just, "Ugh, that's so horrible and so good in a story sense because it all comes together." You know, from the beginning, from the very first time we saw Stannis and Melisandre, they were sacrificing people, they were burning people alive on the beaches of Dragonstone, and it all comes to this...

You all need to take a seat when talking about D&D going off-book with Shireen's sacrifice. It's coming straight from GRRM.

Edited by Newstar

for gods sake, stannis is at winterfell and shireen at the wall in the god damn books.

stannis is asking massey to put shireen in the throne and avange his death if he dies, which is what most likely will happen.

how can this be from the books???

this is bullshit.

This isn't the books!

And how did Jorah keep touching Dany? Doesn't he have greyscale? Wtf?

If the show maintains consistent logic (LOL), then Dany should have greyscale herself now.

I'm still trying to figure out why those harpies are alll standing around like morons when Dany's crew are surrounded 200-10. Of course, its so deus ex Drogona has time to make an appearance and whisk Dany off to safety. Even if we ignore the contrivance of that, why, after that happens, don't the harpies rush the rest and kill them all? I've read the books and I know that it goes down in a vaguely similar fashion, but the portrayal was not so hot, IMO.

Yo know what? I can cope with HBO/DD believing we the audience are dumb. I cannot, whatsoever, accept that people here believe we readers are plain stupid.

We DO KNOW that Shireen will likely die. That's because Martin is not an OMG WHAT A SHOCK! author as HBO make believe. There is a big chance she will die and get burn (which it has been kinda confirmed already, not spoiled). We aren't mad at that. We are mad at the fact that, for whatever reason, maybe to make the whole thing "different", they put Stannis to make it. Because Stannis is a character that WOULD NOT do that. Stannis is not real. But he's a character from a book that has been outlined in a way. This goes against that way. COmpletely.

Free blow job to whoever gives me the YouTube link where D&D say Shireen dies! That's right, free blow job! Thank you!

Dude look at the after show clip. They say directly that she dies in the fire and imply strongly that it comes from what Martin told them.

"When George first told us about this, it was one of those times that I remember looking at Dan, and going, god, that's so horrible, and it's so good, because it all comes together in a story sense. From the very first time we meet Stannis and Melisandre, they are sacrificing and talking about king's blood, and the power it contains, and it all leads to this, to the sacrificing of Shireen."

There it is. Shireen will be burning for her kings blood in the books.

Edited by ~DarkHorse~

for gods sake, stannis is at winterfell and shireen at the wall in the god damn books.

stannis is asking massey to put shireen in the throne and avange his death if he dies, which is what most likely will happen.

how can this be from the books???

this is bullshit.

+10000

GRRM said it himself "Characters will die in the show that don't die in the books". I truly think this is the case here.

The show runners needed a "2 birds [something that beats the winter and gives shock factor] with one stone" to give Stannis some advantage. They ditched the mountain clan storyline. So killing Shireen was kind of a shortcut that will give another "WTF Moment" that they build the show on.