[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

I'm off to the rant threads until I cool down. I'm in full RealElaria mode. I can't with people who want to discuss scenes of the books when they have obviously not understood how they work or what they are about. They don't want to see. :dunno:

So I guess you know more about the books than GRRM right?

I'm inclined to doubt that the writers would just lie that the Shireen incident is really going to happen. If that is correct, I can think of two plausible ways for it to go down in the books. It's been pointed out numerous times that Shireen, Selyse, and Melisandre did not accompany Stannis' army in their march to Winterfell. So the most likely option I think is that Selyse and Melisandre do the deed on their own at the Wall, perhaps as a last ditch move after seeing the pink letter. The second option is that Stannis sends a raven to the Wall telling them to do it. That seems unlikely to me, but I guess we'll see... eventually.

Stannis Baratheon, the man who held Storm's End for the entire length of a war while living off of rats and horses decides to burn his daughter and heir because a few of his supplies were burnt? Yeah, bullshit. I doubt anyone can say that D&D aren't just out to destroy Stannis' as a character now...

I don't think he did this because of desperation, I think his motive was that Melisandre told him the only path forward was to sacrifice her. Ultimately, as things started to go bad he thought back on her powers and how her visions have been accurate thus far and concluded he could delay as long as he wants but it wouldn't change the choice he had to make.

Hence the conversation with Shireen.

you didnt think the books were going to get spoiled at all? Are you serious?

one thing is the show spoiling it, another is D&D saying George (the book guy) told them it was going to happen THIS WAY...

grrm himself said it would deviate from now on... guess not, david and dan just told us the author told them what's going to happen (in the books obviously)

Edited by Laughing Storm Reborn

This what? The assumption that we believe that women being strong means they have to fight?

Please, we're smarter than that.

Also, Dany SAVED HERSELF during the Pit scene in the books. She, herself, "threw aside" her bunny ears. She didn't need some havoc happening around. That happened after she realised she was in the wrong place. Drogon was there to help her become something else, not to save her from the evil men who wanted to hurt him.

I'm off to the rant threads until I cool down. I'm in full RealElaria mode. I can't with people who want to discuss scenes of the books when they have obviously not understood how they work or what they are about. They don't want to see. :dunno:

My point was that I am glad they didn't have Dany running around with a knife, sticking it to the harpys. Yes they made her a bit of a Damsel, but until Drogon turned up that is exactly how she would react.

Stannis Baratheon, the man who held Storm's End for the entire length of a war while living off of rats and horses decides to burn his daughter and heir because a few of his supplies were burnt? Yeah, bullshit. I doubt anyone can say that D&D aren't just out to destroy Stannis' as a character now...

Thanks for that, good reminder, so fucking true!!

LOL at the fandom right now.

1. Certain fans: "STANNIS BURNING SHIREEN IS OFF-BOOK TRASH, HOW DARE D&D, THEY HAVE FUNDAMENTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD BOOK STANNIS' CHARACTER, GRRM WOULD NEVAH"

2. D&D: "George told us this happens."

3. Certain fans:

A. D&D ARE FILTHY LIARS, GRRM WOULD NEVAH, or

B. If GRRM does it, it will be SUPER AMAZING and WILL TOTALLY MAKE SENSE and WILL BE TOTALLY CONSISTENT WITH BOOK STANNIS' CHARACTER

Edited by Newstar

As one who have argued this possibility long before all of this in making, I can say I understand the books very well. Thing is that even though the theory is right, even though Shireen is burned by Stannis, the set is definitely going to be different than this. There has always been a possibility of Stannis burning Shireen, especially in line "Sacrifice is never easy, Ser Davos". But people let them be taken astray with the powerful lines like "You are my daughter" from TV show and they worked with Stannis that basically never existed in the books.

Needless to say, it was horrible.

It was rushed, but Stannis himself in the books foreshadows this with his talk of the nature of sacrifice. Melisandre won't sacrifice her against the wishes of Stannis, people are just going to have to accept that this is going to happen in some form or fashion.

I've in no way complained about book changes, especially because it hasn't even happened yet in there. There are many differences between show Stannis and book Stannis so already the show isn't going to be comparable to the books in what the characters are going to do. My problem is in the development of it in the show itself. I was just including the bit about the book's desperation to show something coming closer to what I think would make it more within possibility that Stannis would ever resort to it, even then I'd question it, but I wouldn't just think it was dumb.

LOL at the fandom right now.

1. Certain fans: "STANNIS BURNING SHIREEN IS OFF-BOOK TRASH, HOW DARE D&D, THEY HAVE FUNDAMENTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD BOOK STANNIS' CHARACTER, GRRM WOULD NEVAH"

2. D&D: "George told us this happens."

3. Certain fans:

A. D&D ARE FILTHY LIARS, GRRM WOULD NEVAH, or

B. If GRRM does it, it will be SUPER AMAZING and WILL TOTALLY MAKE SENSE

Totally agree.

Honestly my biggest question about the Shireen burning is what happens when Jon and Davos find out. In the books Davos travels to Skagos to find Rickon, but now Davos will be at Castle Black with Jon Snow which could lead to 2 possibilities. Jon tells Davos (for whatever reason) that Bran and Rickon are alive and Davos tries to find Rickon or that Jon marches south against Stannis which leads to his stabbing instead of the pink letter.