[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

GENDRY... keep rowing... or the show will catch you...

"You will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

"Wait, forget that, burn her..."

"What about logic?"

"Logic? Burn him aswell"

Edited by Laughing Storm Reborn

D&D never claimed that Sansa married Ramsay in the books. They have said why they chose to have Sansa marry Ramsay, and it had nothing to do with book spoilers. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Because D&D knew the end of the novel from GRRM, they knew all plots too

Well, think about this. GRRM did tell Liam Cunningham something "shocking" about Davos character. If it isn't that he's Azor Ahai, then he it has to be that he stops following Stannis.

And what reason would Davos have to stop following Stannis?

good! I really hope he does.....love Davos and he is surely too good a man to look past this appalling event

You didn't understand the books :dunno:

There, take a cookie.

I'll take an explanation and, if wrong, admit I'm wrong. (I know, this is the internet, but I'm serious.) Let me say:

I have always looked at the purpose of Stannis as an exhibition of the failure inherent in rigidity. As D&D even mentioned in the "inside the episode' segment, Stannis makes a choice and does not deviate.

That is wrong. He may have a legitimate claim to the throne, or he may not. We can also discuss the "realism" of the portrayal, since the setting is a period rife with awful deeds and people. None of that changes that inflexibility is an trait possessed by the "bad guy."

"When George told us about this" implies that Shireen will die, likely burned. It doesn't tell us it's Stannis.

What is his arc? If he's a good guy he needs to deviate from some choices. I can't think of a better one than choosing to burn Shireen and then backing off.

So I'll rephrase this: If I'm right, and Stannis is a bad guy, it will be him in the books. If not, it will be a turning point moment for him.

All that said: Show Stannis actually *should* have backed down. He proved he can learn from his mistakes and even admitted it to Melisandre.

That makes it any better? It's still a child being burned for some cause. What people are furious is not that Shireen was burned, but that Stannis was responsible. They are crying over Stannis.

It's not a matter of better or worse, it's a matter of making sense.

It is with deep sadness that I must report of the death of a much beloved friend- the HBO Show Game of Thrones died earlier this evening after a long and tragic illness after it underwent unsuccessful surgery to have its author removed.

The Show was one week short of its Fifth birthday at the time of its death.

The Show enjoyed exceptional, many would say surprising, health in its first three years of life, with exceptional highs in season two and three when the show followed the books most faithfully. In fact, the closer the show followed the books, the better it was. Sadly, signs of illness began in Season One- strangely- when Drogo needlessly raped Dany Targaryen- a scene totally void in the books. Also, Shea was talking like book-Shea but was in no way the same character- she had a different back-story, seemed wiser, more worldly etc. This lead to a character TALKING like Shea but not ACTING like Shea. Also, D&Ds choice to have Shea played by a life-less mannequin was considered controversial. Season 2 also had strange scenes with unexplained issues involving several characters. Then, in season 3 the removal of Lady Stoneheart, the questionable direction of Stannis Baratheon, and a highly and many say needless- dip into sexual perversion.

GoT took a turn for the worse in Season 4 when Jaime Lannister inexplicably- raped Cersei Lannister leading to the show-runners admitting that they DID NOT KNOW WHAT RAPE WAS!

Season Five, though, led to the very drastic decision by the show runners to no longer follow the books- opting to surgically remove George R.R. Martins words from the story process, DESPITE the fact that in Season 4- there were whole story lines NOT in the books that made ZERO sense, most notably why Jon Snow went to Crasters Keep and specifically DID NOT find Bran. Even though Bran as a cripple being dragged by a Giant and two high-born kids with him, WOULD BE HARD TO FORGET! Turns out- NOBODY REMEMBERED HE WAS FUCKING THERE! Still when Season 4 followed the source material- ie: the Mountain and the Viper- it experienced unparalleled success.

However, Season Five started slow, its episodes long-winded, filled with filler and rarely going anywhere; plots were usually dedicated to strange- some would say convoluted plot points and needless acrimony. Then, more rapes, especially to Sansa in what many people considered the low point of the show. Medical and Entertainment experts agreed- it was only a matter of time. This was made worse when Gilly was- again- needlessly and pointlessly almost raped. Then, the pointless and random killing of major characters like Barristan Selmy and Mance Ryder.

Then, almost heroically, D&D stopped ripping off George RR Martin and started ripping off Walking Dead and made a very good episode involving zombies attacking people and political intrigue etc. IT would prove to be a final rally for a once great show.

In Week 9, GoT had Arya follow a COMPLETELY UNIMPORTANT CHARACTER AROUND FOR ABOUT HALF A FUCKING HOUR FOR NO FUCKING REASON AT ALL!!!!! Then Mance Tyrell sang (not bad, really); and then we saw MAYBE the worst scene ever in GOT history:

Jaime.. in Dorne where he talks to three Dornish characters and they agree to let him and Bronn go then a HAND-SLAPPING SCENE!!!!!! WOW!!!!! It takes like 50 minutes of the show to DO SOMETHING THAT COULD HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED IN TWO SENTENCES!!!!!Then Bronn gets punched

(RIM SHOT!... loser Theme from Price is Right "Bum-bum-ba-ba-bum... baaaaahhhhhhhhhh....)

Then Stannis

Stannis Baratheon has- routinely- been the worst-best character the show had: sometimes brave, other times honorable, most of the time reasonable.. but the show wanted a religious zealot who burned people alive and then they had him act like a fucking idiot most of the time THEN a few weeks ago he had this awesome scene with Stannis declaring that he loved his daughter because she was a Bratheon!!!! HOORAY!!!!

So the only sensible thing to do after hat was, of course, have Stannis burn that same girl he declared his love for alive at the stake. That makes sense, right?

FUCK NO!!!! NOPE!!! Stannis has to kill his OWN DAUGHTER- HIS ONLY HEIR!!!! BECAUSE. Because D&D dont know how to make a show; they dont understand this shows characters, how to build story and they dont know why GoT works. Because they are bad at this job UNLESS they are explicitly following Martins words. While sometimes they DID LEGITIMATELY improve the story when they went away from Martin (ie: Viserys, Robert, deep-sixing Tysha, Sansa in WF, Arya+ Tywin) THE SHOW WAS ALMOST ALWAYS WORSE WHEN THEY WENT THEIR OWN WAY (Dany-rape, Cersei rape, Sansa rape, oversimplification of major story-lines etc) and the show was at its best when they strictly followed Martin (Blackwater, Mountain v. Viper; Red Wedding, Purple Wedding)- there can be no debate on that point.

The Show finally succumbed to its own self-inflicted amputation of Martin when Stannis burned his own daughter alive because arbitrary characters are arbitrary. The show breathed its last when a supposedly good and honorable man Stannis . watched his own daughter burn to death by his own orders. Because this show does not know what it was ever doing without following directions.

Witnesses claimed the show seemed to be a live a few minutes later, but sources confirmed that the signs of the show appearing alive were just cheesy Special Effects and a CGI of a dragon. The show was officially declared dead shortly thereafter. Funeral arrangements will take place over the next two seasons with a final burial planed for sometime in 2017.

The Show is survived by its killers, D&D, a host of exceptionally talented actors, and the shitty ones like Shea, a bunch of people who never read the books so don't know what's going on, and only watched the show and are equal parts confused and bored (or fooled into thinking the show is still alive), and a legions of fans who will now wait in stony silence as this funeral procession of the next two seasons to end so we can get a real fucking book with real fucking characters and a real fucking plot.

Donations can be made to any book store selling the real Song of Ice and Fire.

Not not this.

Could not have said it better myself.

I recall last year when they first started foreshadowing Shireen's death Ran had said on his and Linda's review video or in the comments that he suspected that Stannis would be involved. I disagreed not because I didn't think it was in Stannis for that to happen, but because to the logistical issues that currently exist in the north. More confirmation that Roose and Ramsay probably aren't long for the books and that no Melisandre/Shireen Shenanigans will occur at the Wall, which would have been the more predictable scenario.

People are really believing that Stannis will kill Shireen on the books?

I'll seriously chop off one of my fingers if they don't make it MELISANDRE alone the burner in the books. It really has no fucking sense if it's Stannis who does it.

I expect to see a picture of you with one of your fingers in a little bag like Davos when you read it in 5-10 years. D&D have no reason to lie about it, they've owned up to decisions that were theirs and have never blamed stuff on George that wasn't George's work.

Edited by Eddard the Builder

GENDRY... keep rowing... or the show will catch you...

"You will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

"Wait, forget that, burn her..."

"What about logic?"

"Logic? Burn him aswell"

Hahahaha omfg this is great

I expect to see a picture of you with one of your fingers in a little bag like Davos when you read it in 5-10 years. D&D have no reason to lie about it, they've owned up to decisions that were theirs and have never blamed stuff on George that wasn't George's work.

They have no reason to lie, but the never said it would be Stannis who would do it.

You guys are reading too much into their statement.

Is it fair to assume Brienne is going to kill Stannis? At this point I am just wondering whether it will be in the next episode or next season.

I hope the next episode. As many characters as possible should be put out of their show misery ASAP.