[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

Pretty devastate, both by what happened to Shireen and the way a major reveal, potentially, from book 6 was rushed forward when they had mote than enough material in books 4.5. Also, the alterations to Sansa and Jaime/Cersei and now this make the show so much more about the brutalization of girls and women than in the books. I just feel a lot more distant from this material now...and I had counted myself as a hardcore fan. I really have enjoyed reading the books and talking about them with everyone here but I can't see doing this as much now.

Have you even read the books? what happens to jp there is much worse than the easy sex ramsey has with sansa. i think if anything the show hasnt been graphic enough with these kinds of things.

I forgot! There was a HUGE important issue involving the Hugo Awards this year! Martin was angry, (still is) that outside influences were able to vote out/or in, stories/editors/this/that/.... that were normally only voted on by dorks like him/me! Funny!

Have you even read the books? what happens to jp there is much worse than the easy sex ramsey has with sansa. i think if anything the show hasnt been graphic enough with these kinds of things.

Yeah it could be worse with what happens with Jeyne and even before that when she was forced to work as a whore. There's also that TWOW Mercy chapter... which well, I don't think anyone wants to see.

It's terrible, dark and grim but its also in tone with the books.

I just had a humorous notion that this episode should have come with a trigger warning but then I realized that not many viewers have probably been murdered by their fathers, at least not quite in that fashion.

But seriously, the warnings before the episode said "Adult Language, Adult Content" seriously the tamest spread I've ever seen on the show considering that it had pedophilia and graphic child murder as featured topics.

So, are we theorizing that Sansa will be LDS?! I havent been watching the show at all because I cant bear to see good material going to waste

I'm guessing from the "If I'm going to die, let it happen while there's still some of me left" from the 5x10 promo, that Brienne and Pod finally arrive at Winterfell to rescue Sansa, and Sansa refuses their aid in favour of some sort of suicide mission, maybe to kill Ramsay or Roose or both, thus Chekhov's corkscrew.

So, are we theorizing that Sansa will be LDS?! I havent been watching the show at all because I cant bear to see good material going to waste

No. Pretty sure there won't be a LDS.

However, if Sansa escapes, where do they run. Running to Stannis sure seems like a bad idea now. I guess she'll head for the Wall.

I don't get it how Shireen can be burned on that 6th book. Really, (If stannis is alive a big IF) Melisandre has already shown signs that she now believes that Jon Snow is Azor Ahai so why would she ask for this sacrifice. And if stannis is alive he probably suceed on the battle of winterfell which is one less reason to burn a daughter. Shireen is miles away so he would call her to burn her? the red woman would leave jon snow?

The only reason i can think for shiren to burn is that Selyse sacrifices her for revive Stannis. Anyone can figure the reasons beyond this burning? And why now? I think its just a punch in the face of bookreaders.

It's a good question concerning what the book motivations for burning Shireen will be. I suspect that in book 6, it won't actually be the Battle of Winterfell that leads him to burn her but a later battle after they are reunited, whether it be back at the Wall or on the march farther south to unite Westeros against the Whitewalker threat.

Prediction: Stannis will die at the hands of Selyse. That would extend the parallel between Stannis and Agamemnon (and the sacrifice of their daughters) to also include being murdered by their respective wives. Though it was a bit abrupt (and not entirely believable) in the on-air execution, Selyse's change of heart in the middle of Shireen's burning could be setting up this eventual end.

Edited by Adeimantus

Take away shireen and drogon and what is in this episode? Very close to nothing. Several minutes of mindless retard girls playing slap hands... Several minutes of meryn fucking trant being a pedo, wtf... The episode, like this season, is garbage.

I agree. The big payoff of Dorne was... absolutely nothing. Trystane should have at least hit Bronn himself. He's a pussy.

I'm guessing from the "If I'm going to die, let it happen while there's still some of me left" from the 5x10 promo, that Brienne and Pod finally arrive at Winterfell to rescue Sansa, and Sansa refuses their aid in favour of some sort of suicide mission, maybe to kill Ramsay or Roose or both, thus Chekhov's corkscrew.

I don't know. It sounds too good to be GOT. I mean, that would mean some storyline has some payoff.

I want to get my hopes up regarding the Winterfell storyline, but I fear I'll only get disappointed. No revenge, no pies, no Manderly, no GreatJon, no entrails hanging from trees.

Maybe the White Walkers will cross the Wall and raise all the dead Starks from the crypts? Hundreds of angry Ancient Starks ought to do something awesome.

Stannis on show is thesame evil man that he is in the book. This isn't out of character, the man already has killed his brother, his brother in law, tried to kill his nephew (Edric in the book, Gendry in the show), burn people just for the sake of it and let's not forget that he was the one that the Usurper King Robert send to murder Queen Mother Rhaella, King Viserys and stillborn Princess Daenerys.

Well... sorry if this has been discussed before but does this mean that Tyrion, Missandei and Dany are all going to get Jorah's greyscale? The way they were holding hands and the camera kept focusing on their hand holding indicates we are in for two seasons of a greyscale party.

I'd have to go back and look more closely (which won't happen tonight), but Jorah took Dany's left hand with his right. The greyscale is on his left arm. Dany put her right hand in Missandei's left. I sort of got the feeling that you had to touch the actual greyscale to get it, kind of like touching poison ivy rash and spreading it to other places. If that's not the case, then Jorah basically attempted to murder Dany. I don't see that being his MO.