[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

The whole episode was really a very Duggar affair between the pedo stuff and the religious stuff.

But the thing is, Melisandres sacrifices apparently actually work which is a wrinkle in the usual narrative. I tend to think that all the religions in the series are just as much constructs as our own, yet there is this real magical presence. The poetic irony for Stannis would be for the sacrifice to not work, but apparently it does from the preview. And at the same time the books strongly imply that a whole bunch of Melisandre's stuff is total BS. Is it a coincidence? If it was it would need to be demonstrated at some point or it loses its significance.

There was a theory some time back that the prophecy of waking dragons from stone had to do with Shireens Targaryen blood and her Greyscale, but how that relates to what D&D are doing, I don't know.

I think they are doing whatever they think is "epic," (rolls eyes again).

Edited by Alia of the knife

You internet warriors read the books and think you can write a better story then D&D is laughable. Your sense of entitlement is a reminder of how bullheaded you book readers are.

Benioff probably not seeing as he actually is a credentialled and successful writer, but Weiss consistently failed and never did anything. So yeah, we probably could write better than him.

BTW, it's not really that one needs to write a better story. There's a perfectly good story already written by a man named George R.R Martin that they could use instead of making up their own story.

No. Pretty sure there won't be a LDS.

However, if Sansa escapes, where do they run. Running to Stannis sure seems like a bad idea now. I guess she'll head for the Wall.

My thinking is they may fake their escape and hide in the crypts real deep, maybe find Jon's true heritage.

The show is better than the books. I read the books first but the show has done it better by ommiting pointless characters and gettong to the point. great scene in the pits. well done D &D. you are legends.

I think so as well. And it should be because unlike GRRM, D&D know what is happening in advance. So they have an advantage.

GRRM needs an editor who can say no to him. D&D have cut a lot of the duplication out and come up with a much tighter plot arc.

The only plot arc missing from this season I would like to see is the Ironborn arc. And I am pretty sure we get that next season when it will make more sense.

THE BOLTONS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

Yeah, they're awful, but I wouldn't consider them main human antagonist. I'd put then in the same category as the Freys.

Of the four most important houses in the story(the only four featured heavily in the opening), the Baratheons are definitely portrayed less favorably than the Starks, Targs, and Lannisters.

This is just the worst. I've been a long time show defender. The writers are going to have to make changes, the show has its own merits, there's always the books, etc.

But this is just awful. I'm a big time Stannis fan, and that's not based on fanboy silliness, I genuinely like his character and arc. Stannis is a character who has grown throughout the books and swore that if he died taking Winterfell, his men would keep on fighting for his daughter.

What I saw tonight wasn't that character at all. I was telling all my friends "He won't burn Shireen, he won't That's just not Stannis." He can be gruff, he can be an asshole, but even Roose Bolton spared his crazy bastard son. Even Cersei cried when Joffrey died. This on the other hand...

This is just awful. One of my favorite characters has been ruined. And that's not melodramatic hyperbole. I cannot, and will not support a guy who burns little girls, certainly not a guy who burns his own little girl.

What is the point? I really don't get it. Why start making Stannis into a sympathetic character just to snatch it all away? So many show watchers asked what the point was of Stannis. I guess just to burn children. It's honestly pretty disgusting.

I'm curious, people keep saying that Martin is going to have Stannis burn Shireen in TWOW. Is there a link to that info? Has Martin actually said that's whats going to happen? Or have D&D confirmed somewhere that this is going to happen in the books? If that's the case, then what a waste of a character. What's the point?

Benioff probably not seeing as he actually is a credentialled and successful writer, but Weiss consistently failed and never did anything. So yeah, we probably could write better than him.

BTW, it's not really that one needs to write a better story. There's a perfectly good story already written by a man named George R.R Martin that they could use instead of making up their own story.

gerorge rr did not write a masterpiece though. he made some incredible characters and a great start. since then his writing has been poor. shit like lady stoneheart has turned me off the books, the tv show is my ultimate source now. I enjoy books every bit as tv. however got tv series os a better tv show than the books as a series so far.

Shireen.

Shireen.

Even if Shireen is sacrificed in books, I highly doubt Stannis will be the one to give the orders. I'm not particularly fond of her character but damn was that hard to watch. Still, while this episode wasn't as good as last weeks, it was a good one. I really wanted to see Dany tame Drogon like she does in the books but it was great to see her ride him. The whole scene in Daznak's pit was done well.

Thank everything Arya doesn't get all sexual just to get to Meryn Trant. Up until now her arc was the most faithful to the books while Dorne... it was actually good this episode!

I'm shipping Tyrion & Misseandi In the show now.

It plays into my theory of Missaendi becoming Queen of Mereen while Dany becomes Emperess.

How can Tyrion be councilor to Dany & consort of a Queen? He'll be like anyone who has business today and do a lot of flying. Though he'll have his own Dragon.

I'm worried about FTW now. It looks like Jon won't break his vows for the people he loves (Ned, Robb and Ygritte) but he will break them because Stannis needs his help....?

Ramsay's attack was a success (even if it didn't make a lick of sense). I predict the NW and wildlings will have a fight or something, Jon's plan will look more like a failure and then Ramsay's will send the Pink Letter.