[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

Watch inside the episode.they said when George told them about it they were shocked, so it does happen in the books! :(

One more time, they NEVER told Stannis is the one doing the burning in the books. Really, I need to stress out this as much as possible. People are just reading too much on their statement, as they usually do.

One more time, they NEVER told Stannis is the one doing the burning in the books. Really, I need to stress out this as much as possible. People are just reading too much on their statement, as they usually do.

Either Stannis gives the order or not, the point is he does go thru with it. This is who Stannis is - he would do anything to be king.

Yeah, they're awful, but I wouldn't consider them main human antagonist. I'd put then in the same category as the Freys.

Of the four most important houses in the story(the only four featured heavily in the opening), the Baratheons are definitely portrayed less favorably than the Starks, Targs, and Lannisters.

I don't disagree, but its funny how the Boltons seem like secondary antagonists when you consider what they have done.

Betrayed the fan favourite family... literally stabbing them in the heart

Raped the daughter of the fan favourite family

Tortured and gelded a fan favourite

Sends a man to kill/kidnap the crippled child of the fan favourite family

Hunts, rapes and skins women

And yet these guys still aren't the 'big bad'

I'll take an explanation and, if wrong, admit I'm wrong. (I know, this is the internet, but I'm serious.) Let me say:

I have always looked at the purpose of Stannis as an exhibition of the failure inherent in rigidity. As D&D even mentioned in the "inside the episode' segment, Stannis makes a choice and does not deviate.

That is wrong. He may have a legitimate claim to the throne, or he may not. We can also discuss the "realism" of the portrayal, since the setting is a period rife with awful deeds and people. None of that changes that inflexibility is an trait possessed by the "bad guy."

Stannis isn't an inflexible character in the books though. Far from it, he's the most progressive and willing to change leader in the books.

People read Donal Noye's quote about Stannis being pure iron and assume it's true. It's not.

I'm curious, people keep saying that Martin is going to have Stannis burn Shireen in TWOW. Is there a link to that info? Has Martin actually said that's whats going to happen? Or have D&D confirmed somewhere that this is going to happen in the books? If that's the case, then what a waste of a character. What's the point?

The point is to show how deluded Stannis is by Melisandre And what someone who follows a religious fanatic telling them not only are you rightful King but the savior of mankind. And what they are willing to do.

http://youtu.be/NfLScJVXBHQ

Edited by TheReal_Rebel

If you watch the clip, the infliction makes it sound like it was stannis.

Mel is added as an after thought.

Either Stannis gives the order or not, the point is he does go thru with it. This is who Stannis is - he would do anything to be king.

I HIGHLY doubt that Stannis, if involved in the burning, will do it for sake of being the king and not for the greater good. They tried to emphacise that point in the show too (HORRIBLY done) and to make it a more morally grey act (failing hard in the process), so I believe that if does burn her in the books it will be done in a proper manner.

Also, book Stannis knows that killing your own daughter will imediatly stop any support you might recieve, so...

Edited by Ironkiller