[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

Isn't he dead? Figured he was since they haven't shown him in weeks and no one seems to give enough of a shit to even mention his condition.

Still healing I guess. That would be a hilarious final shot for the season. Grey Worm sits up... where is everyone?

Glad Bronn lived to wisecrack another episode. Poor Shireen, that was horrible. Not a big fan of Stannis at the best of times so now my only dilemma is who I want to skewer him. Cheering Ramsey and Davos on but Brienne really needs a job so still hope it will be her.

I'll admit I'm a little worried about D&D's and GRRM's collaborative relationship in the future. I could see Martin getting pissed that D&D blatantly confirmed what is coming in an unreleased book unless for some reason he gave them permission. But why would he share anything else with them? I ask this as a concerned show fan.

I think GRRM not writing anymore episodes has Been telling already

George was paid well to let HBO and D&D take poetic license with his story, besides it makes it easier for him to create characters storylines in his next books. For years I have watched this show after reading the books, a little saddened by the fact I knew what was going to happen. Every discussion with non-book readers was always prefaced with are you sure you want to know now. I loved the dramatic visuals of the show even when they did not match my minds eye. BUT, this season has been so enjoyable because even though the plot is basically the same there have been some curveballs which I have enjoyed. I'm not one to get invested in a character within a story so the loss of Shireen or Hizdar doesn't ruin the story for me. I also came here to refresh my memory of events that took place in the books that I either glossed over or forgot. So here I am on this website to learn and enjoy the insight of Sullied and Unsullied alike.

I used to really like Melisandre as a character, she had a bit more depth to her in the first seasons, but now shes just so weak TBH. Where was Stannis fighting or yelling at her for not seeing the fire in her flames? Or being able to get rid of the flames themselves? She just seems legitimately worthless being with Stannis, another example of why D&D are stupid for straying. I think she'd have so much more progression if she had stayed at Castle Black

“Only Renly could vex me so with a piece of fruit. He brought his doom on himself with his treason, but I did love him, Davos. I know that now. I swear, I will go to my grave thinking of my brother’s peach.”

Yeah, seems like Stannis will think on renly's peach but not the daughter he will burn on the books by D&D's words

And then what, "if i die, put my corpse on the IT or die in the attempt"... because now he must, at least, realise he does not have heirs and has more than one dangerous battle to fight... good logic indeed

Stannis will be my 2 favourite character either way, because manure writting will not erase the majestic one until now in the books (if he burns her for no valid in-text reason)... show Stannis is fan fiction to me, especially as of now...

he looks more crazy-eyes than the Others in Hardhome, and even Drogon looked like a docile Disney flying reptile who burns children, just not his own... at least the beast is on a redemptive path it seems, dany's dress was marvelous and that ride was, compared to the books, much better... IF you like ALADIN more than asoiaf

Edited by Laughing Storm Reborn

I think Shireen is likely to burn in the books. However, the circumstances are going to be much different and they situation has been set up a lot more desperately in the books.

I dont hate Stannis for doing it. End of day, his made the greatest sacrifice in order to save his army. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. He showed that he is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the realm.

I hated the way the show handled it.

Firstly, the circumstances werent dire enough. Just two episodes ago we saw how much Stannis cares for his daughter. How much he went through to save her and what he is willing to do for her.

I find it hard to believe, a man as stern as Stannis would burn his daughter for Lord of Light just like that. Stannis, the ultimate stubborn ass, burnt his daughter just cause.

Why was Selsye crying? Why did she need to be restrained? She has been saying she needs to be burned since Season 2, theyve shown how heartless she is and how she thinks her daughter is a heathen. She has no compassion, she is a lot worse than Stannis. Dont make her out to be the poor mother.

They didnt show Mel's manipulation at all this episode which is a HUGE part of why Selsye wants to burn her.

They made this Stannis' decision. They made Stannis the criminal. They made Stannis into the most hated man in Westeros. When in reality, he is a desperate man with an army dieing like ice cubes around him with his evil wife and mistress shaking their fists yelling BURN THE GIRL! All this, exactly 10 episodes after he was the greatest man in the realm.

Well it was good while it lasted. Heres a shot of Dany riding off like the conquering hero. The conqueror of jack and shit whilst Aegon Targaryen is battering down the doors to Storm's End.

But hey, JORAHS BACK IN THE FRIENDZONE BABY!

Edited by Misnthropia

Wow.

I haven't seen intensity like this since the last Creation Vs Evolution thread I was at some time ago.

People do realise that A Song of Ice and Fire is not the Bible, right?

I hope so.

Anyways.

I was shocked that Stannis arranged the burning, and it didn't really kick in 'til Selyse asked him to stop the madness...her reaction brought tears to my eyes because I then knew that this wasn't an instance of 'glamour'. I cried for about 5 minutes, even though I know that Shireen's royal blood is going to get her burned by Mel one day or another.

I was expecting some sort of dragon training knowledge being spouted off by Tyrion before Dany and Drogon met up, but, eh.

I am far from being an apologist for anything, book or show, but I do wonder why the word keeps getting bandied about when it comes to GoT show-watchers as a group. I'm not allowed to like being entertained? Huh. I did not know that. Guess I should stop reading the books, as I don't seem to have the intelligence to know what the overall story is about. Sorry Mr. Martin.

eta: And, am I the only one who thought from the beginning that the prostitute is the leader of the Harpies?

Edited by roxWolfox 🍁

I might have the wrong impression about this but I always envisioned Stannis burning Shireen as the last act in his fall. If they have moved it up this much, I figure Stannis will be dying soon.

It looks like instead of Daenerys v. Aegon --> Daenerys v. Stannis --> Daenerys v. the Others, it will just be Daenerys v. Others.

As I've stated a few times, I am not a Dany fan but irrespective I find it incredibly unlikely she wil come marching in as you suggest, far more likely she dies before the end and never confronts Stannis in the books either.

The death of Hizdar bothered me. Not nearly as much as Shireen's, but bothered me.

I kinda liked the idea Hizdar was the head of the Harpy, or at least the suspense of it. But that was killed, just like the character himself.

So... 3 characters dead that are pretty much alive in the books. Shireen, Hizdar and Sir Baristan. I say it was a bad call to kill any of the three.

I'm guessing from the "If I'm going to die, let it happen while there's still some of me left" from the 5x10 promo, that Brienne and Pod finally arrive at Winterfell to rescue Sansa, and Sansa refuses their aid in favour of some sort of suicide mission, maybe to kill Ramsay or Roose or both, thus Chekhov's corkscrew.

LOL

If Sansa refuses their help she should at least be so sensible to ask for a proper dagger instead of screwing the Boltons with a corkscrew.

one thing is the show spoiling it, another is D&D saying George (the book guy) told them it was going to happen THIS WAY...

grrm himself said it would deviate from now on... guess not, david and dan just told us the author told them what's going to happen (in the books obviously)

Is that a surprise to you? We know D&D have access to the Winds draft material and George gave them the story arcs for all the main characters. That's ignoring that they work in collaboration