[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

Up until he randomly burned his daughter alive because he was stuck in the snow for an hour? LOL.

Up until he randomly burned his daughter alive because he was stuck in the snow for an hour he was not the head of a powerful house with a religious fanatic priestess bending him to her will and a powerful army and a stubborn and determined contestant for the Iron Throne? Because that sounds dangerous enough to me.............................

Ramsay's 20-man stealth squad was pretty hilarious. I wonder how many fans Stannis lost after this episode. The Trant-Arya thing was a bit too convenient for my taste, but it's hardly surprising. Uhhh... What else... The SotH stabbing random people was just wonky. Actually kind of impressed they made TV-Mereen an even bigger shithole than book-Mereen. Can't wait to see how her advisers survive without her and her dragon, let alone rule.

every fan stannis lost is a fan asoif lost. Theres no come back from there.

Stannis has been set as the worst shit in the whole series. And theres not even the "grater good" excuse to even make it a little gray. Dumb and dumber said it was plain ambition.

Worst than joffrey or ramsey. And only above aerys.

Edited by Señor de la Tormenta

Up until he randomly burned his daughter alive because he was stuck in the snow for an hour he was not the head of a powerful house with a religious fanatic priestess bending him to her will and a powerful army and a stubborn and determined contestant for the Iron Throne? Because that sounds dangerous enough to me.............................

True, it's the culmination of the show's destruction of his character, exaggerating his worst traits from the book, but giving him none of the good traits he has.

What's a good trait he has that he was deprived of in the show?

He feels extremely guilty about Renly's death; he is committed to protecting the realm from the Others, not just winning the IT, he doesn't always listen to Mel, he liberates DM from the Ironborn and restores it to it's rightful owners, he rallies the Northern clans to his cause to go to Winterfell voluntarily, he burns NO ONE who he hasn't already convicted of a death sentence crime, he doesn't burn Mance for refusing to bend the knee but for being a deserter of the Night's Watch...

He feels extremely guilty about Renly's death; he is committed to protecting the realm from the Others, not just winning the IT, he doesn't always listen to Mel, he liberates DM from the Ironborn and restores it to it's rightful owners, he rallies the Northern clans to his cause to go to Winterfell voluntarily, he burns NO ONE who he hasn't already convicted of a death sentence crime, he doesn't burn Mance for refusing to bend the knee but for being a deserter of the Night's Watch...

The show has captured his human side as well. There really hasn't been a huge change between book Stannis and show Stannis.

Stannis Baratheon, the man who held Storm's End for the entire length of a war while living off of rats and horses decides to burn his daughter and heir because a few of his supplies were burnt? Yeah, bullshit. I doubt anyone can say that D&D aren't just out to destroy Stannis' as a character now...

Lol, yeah you said it Stannis HELD Storm's End, meaning he was under siege. So were his men. He's on the opposite end now and any day now his men would most likely mutiny or just abandon the mission. Haha.

That's a pretty thin list of virtues! :)

"He feels guilty for murdering his brother with black magic!"

"He doesn't lose every battle!"

"He only burns people he's sentenced to death!"

every fan stannis lost is a fan asoif lost. Theres no come back from there.

Stannis has been set as the worst shit in the whole series. And theres not even the "grater good" excuse to even make it a little gray. Dumb and dumber said it was plain ambition.

Worst than joffrey or ramsey. And only above aerys.

Wait... are you trusting D&D's interpretation of whatever Martin told them? Lol, honey, you're better than that!

I tell you. I'm 99.999999% the conversation was like this:

GRRM: So, Shireen gets burned in name of Stannis' cause.

DD: Awesome. Stannis burns Shireen.

GRRM: No, no... I said she gets burned on his name...

DD: So, he orders to burn her.

GRRM: Yes... :rolleyes: he burns her. :dunno:

DD: Cool.

Come see Ramsay "Solid Snake" Bolton and his 20 Delta Force good men destroying one of the greatest commanders and war minds by burning his stocks with surprise "out of his ass" fire...

Come see Jorah "grey scale" Mormont almost die in a pit fighting nobodies, THEN throwing a lance 100 meters aways right in the heart of an assassin...

Come see Dany in a Gucci dress riding a docile flying serpent who spits fire and saves the day with sweet music...

And YES, come see the total, brutal assassination of a greatly written asoiaf character... the child burner, it's 1 - 1 between drogon and Demon Stannis on that one but it seems the dragon is going on a redemption road while the show writers most hated character suffers from biased fan fiction...

HECK YEAH, tune in for the rest of the show... if you like horse manure

Melisandre is the one who burned Stannis' camp. Ramsay is heading to the North Lords for help, but nobody knows that yet because D&D are trolling you. Sorry, bud.

Amazing. This inept writers are so stupid that they can't make an ambiguous character and they just turn him into "villain".

How is Stannis a "villain"? Yes, he burned his own daughter but he already wanted to burn his own nephew. He doesn't see himself as evil, he just sees himself as Westeros' last hope.

His men were on the brink of revolt. More than likely Shireen, Selyse, Stannis, Davos, and even Mel would be killed in the onslaught and nobody would care because its Stannis. Stannous didn't laugh or smile. He grit his teeth and did his duty. I know you're a regular watcher, and you're a book enthusiast. You can't tell me you think this is the writer's "fault"

Ramsay's 20-man stealth squad was pretty hilarious. I wonder how many fans Stannis lost after this episode. The Trant-Arya thing was a bit too convenient for my taste, but it's hardly surprising. Uhhh... What else... The SotH stabbing random people was just wonky. Actually kind of impressed they made TV-Mereen an even bigger shithole than book-Mereen. Can't wait to see how her advisers survive without her and her dragon, let alone rule.

There is no stealth squad. The writer's would have made sure to have a shot of Ramsay if it was him. Hate him if you want, but he's pretty much top 3 most popular character.

Ramsay is off to get the northern lords to help overthrow roose

Melisandre burned the camp.

Oh, and Davos knew she would do it. He had thought that Stannis would turn around. Mel saw the 20 riders in her flames and told Davos. Davos agreed to tell Stannis this.

Doesn't mean the 20 riders were heading for Stannis' camp.

That's a pretty thin list of virtues! :)

"He feels guilty for murdering his brother with black magic!"

"He doesn't lose every battle!"

"He only burns people he's sentenced to death!"

And he sentenced people to death for not following his red god who demands human sacrifices.

So the death sentences are not exactly for crimes that normal people would recognize.

What we are seeing here is lots of people rationalizing like mad. Stannis began bad and has become steadily more evil over time. He would have caused the death of most of the people living in Kings Landing to gain the throne.

There is no stealth squad. The writer's would have made sure to have a shot of Ramsay if it was him. Hate him if you want, but he's pretty much top 3 most popular character.

Oh, and Davos knew she would do it. He had thought that Stannis would turn around. Mel saw the 20 riders in her flames and told Davos. Davos agreed to tell Stannis this.

What are you even talking about? Ramsay rallying the Northern lords? That's good solid crackpottery there.

I'm another one who is now officially cheering for Ramsay against TV!Stannis.

Leaving aside questions of character assassination, and the sheer lack of logic involved, how the hell does TV!Stannis expect anyone to fight for him after that? Were I in Stannis' army, I'd grab some horse meat and do a runner for Castle Black (taking the black if necessary).

Not a book reader, huh?

Next episode Stannis and Melisandre wake up to see the sun shining. All is forgiven.

I bet they even show a quick shot of Shireen's burnt body for "shock value"

When the snow clears, all of Stannis' army will bend the knee answer allegiance to him and the red god.

How is Stannis a "villain"? Yes, he burned his own daughter but he already wanted to burn his own nephew. He doesn't see himself as evil, he just sees himself as Westeros' last hope.

His men were on the brink of revolt. More than likely Shireen, Selyse, Stannis, Davos, and even Mel would be killed in the onslaught and nobody would care because its Stannis. Stannous didn't laugh or smile. He grit his teeth and did his duty. I know you're a regular watcher, and you're a book enthusiast. You can't tell me you think this is the writer's "fault"

because they said it. It was ambition vs family love. Not duty vs family love.

And he sentenced people to death for not following his red god who demands human sacrifices.

So the death sentences are not exactly for crimes that normal people would recognize.

What we are seeing here is lots of people rationalizing like mad. Stannis began bad and has become steadily more evil over time. He would have caused the death of most of the people living in Kings Landing to gain the throne.

Only in the show. Not the in books.

What are you even talking about? Ramsay rallying the Northern lords? That's good solid crackpottery there.

Why do you think that?

Ramsay never said what he wanted the 20 men for. We just assume its a commando squad to attack Stannis.

Melisandre walked out and looked over at the tent BEFORE it went aflame. Curious she knew where to look.

The camp lit on fire at different points at the same time. Even if you wanted to believe Ramsay had a big barrel labeled "DYNO-MITE" with a thin trail of gunpowder or something then be my guest. Im sure D&D will offer you a writing gig.

Why exactly is this theory crackpottery?

When did I say I hated Ramsay? His popularity is irrelevant here. I was just amused that his plan worked perfectly, considering the last time someone took 20 or so great warriors on a super-secret mission they were taken down by a shirtless man and some dogs.

And you forgot to use comic-sans for the other parts of your post. Unless you believe that. In which case I really hope D&D don't disappoint you.

Edited by Cz-99

Am I the only one who still likes Stannis? I mean he was giving Jon good advice before he left the wall.

If anything should be hated it's religion, and the stupid shit people do to follow it!!!!

He was only doing what any good follower of R'Hollor should do.

Edited by Suzanna Stormborn