[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

What we are seeing here is lots of people rationalizing like mad. Stannis began bad and has become steadily more evil over time. He would have caused the death of most of the people living in Kings Landing to gain the throne.

I don't know if he "began bad." He began as loveless, rigid, self-righteous and ruthless. I'm not sure that qualifies him as "bad" by Westerosi standards, but it certainly made him a poor candidate for the throne in the eyes of many. He began as someone willing to traffic in black magic in exchange for power, even though he was not a religious true believer, and even when his most wise advisers counseled him to send the red witch packing. Where else did people think it was going to lead?

He is there praising a show and a book that have been adapted good. He also said "and the books are better". Also, he's saying Edmure actor is there, and he hopes they can call him again.

Subtext: They ruined my books. I hate GoT. Go and see something else. Bastards.

ETA: fixing a lot of mistakes cuz my brain kinda blinked :lol:

Im so desesperated I can buy that lol

ambition vs family love they said.

I swear I think they do as well as possible, Hardhome(the entire episode), Dany flying on Drogon, giving Sansa real scenes with great acting... but ambition vs family... I have a headache.

Edit-just say he thinks he's about to lose and if he loses the world is f'd... I could see Stannis doing that.

Edited by Adam with one D

I really liked the comparrison set-up between Stannis and Dany.

He was willing to kill his own child for his ambition whereass she will protect her child. What I got from her flight was that. She was protecting Drogon and not willing to sacrafice him on any level.

What makes me sad and angry is that (I am convinced) Mel has this all wrong and she's twisted Stannis so tight around her he can no longer think for himself - he can't see the flames for the embers.

She will simply switch allegiance once she figures it out and Stannis will be left realizing what he has done. His arrogance is his weakness.

I know from reading this thread that there is a great difference in his character in the books and I'm just observing what has been presented on the show. I was also becoming attached to his character but did see this possibility coming although I hoped, really hoped, Mel would realize her mistake or some other Shireene saving plot twist. Sigh...

I swear I think they do as well as possible, Hardhome(the entire episode), Dany flying on Drogon, giving Sansa real scenes with great acting... but ambition vs family... I have a headache

yep. They dont even left for interpretation if he was seeking a greater good. The Stannis they want to portray is the worst scum bag ever in asoif. Only on pair with Aerys.

yep. They dont even left for interpretation if he was seeking a greater good. The Stannis they want to portray is the worst scum bag ever in asoif. Only on pair with Aerys.

And then they pretend in the Inside the Episode that this isn't going to totally turn the audience against him...like its just a part of his character, you know, stubborn, rigid, daughter burning alive type of guy....

hope you are right... anyway he made this mess. Im so done with this :(

Nah, I'm confident we'll have book 6 by the next year (before Season 6) and it will be awesome.

Of course, our beloved characters will die, but they will die awesomely.

OTOH, I'm starting to doubt that him wanting to finish writing tWoW is the only reason he won't go to ComicCon. He might want to simply stay away from the mess it will be.

With 55 pages of discussion, and the search function not working, forgive me if it has already been asked, but did Mace Tyrell really talk about Maegor III? Where did the show come up with that?

And with his greyscale, why on earth was Jorah holding Dany's hand? Didn't he fear he'd make her sick? Or does the show mean to establish you need to touch the infected part to catch the illness yourself?

He's been saying a lot of things, lately,

He sure is! Like this, a couple weeks ago:

There have been differences between the novels and the television show since the first episode of season one. And for just as long, I have been talking about the butterfly effect. Small changes lead to larger changes lead to huge changes. HBO is more than forty hours into the impossible and demanding task of adapting my lengthy (extremely) and complex (exceedingly) novels, with their layers of plots and subplots, their twists and contradictions and unreliable narrators, viewpoint shifts and ambiguities, and a cast of characters in the hundreds.

There has seldom been any TV series as faithful to its source material, by and large (if you doubt that, talk to the Harry Dresden fans, or readers of the Sookie Stackhouse novels, or the fans of the original WALKING DEAD comic books)... but the longer the show goes on, the bigger the butterflies become. And now we have reached the point where the beat of butterfly wings is stirring up storms, like the one presently engulfing my email.

Prose and television have different strengths, different weaknesses, different requirements.

David and Dan and Bryan and HBO are trying to make the best television series that they can.

And over here I am trying to write the best novels that I can.

And yes, more and more, they differ. Two roads diverging in the dark of the woods, I suppose... but all of us are still intending that at the end we will arrive at the same place.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/427713.html

Every scene is always open for interpretation. What D&D say on the Inside Ep 9 footage is THEIR interpretation. Which they have a right to.

And I doubt that after Joffrey and Ramsay it is possible to portray Stannis as the worst scumbag ever.

Wait... are you trusting D&D's interpretation of whatever Martin told them? Lol, honey, you're better than that!

I tell you. I'm 99.999999% the conversation was like this:

GRRM: So, Shireen gets burned in name of Stannis' cause.

DD: Awesome. Stannis burns Shireen.

GRRM: No, no... I said she gets burned on his name...

DD: So, he orders to burn her.

GRRM: Yes... :rolleyes: he burns her. :dunno:

DD: Cool.

You complain of the show's characterization of women, yet use the word "honey"?

Every scene is always open for interpretation. What D&D say on the Inside Ep 9 footage is THEIR interpretation. Which they have a right to.

And I doubt that after Joffrey and Ramsay it is possible to portray Stannis as the worst scumbag ever.

got is their interpretation. Thats how they wanted to portay him.

As soon as you stop putting words into GRRM's mouth that line right up with your anti-show nonsense.

You can hardly call 'making the best show they can' a ringing endorsement, of all the things he could say about their work after 5 years...'making the best show they can' is faint praise indeed.