[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

He is there praising a show and a book that have been adapted good. He also said "and the books are better". Also, he's saying Edmure actor is there, and he hopes they can call him again.

Subtext: They ruined my books. I hate GoT. Go and see something else. Bastards.

ETA: fixing a lot of mistakes cuz my brain kinda blinked :lol:

You are kidding. This is the worst misreading/projection I have ever seen. And by the way, Outlander created a stunning finale episode (at least until they cured Jaime in like ten minute of screentime). The acting was Oscar worthy.

read the books.

I have and like most people with a brain and a knowledge of classical mythology, I considered Shireen likely to be a burner since Mel first appeared.

Don't blame other people if you didn't get where the Books are going.

Yes. They make the television adaptation of a story. Of course it will portray their interpretation. How is that wrong?

That is a fair point. I wish it were closer to the character in the book and I should give them a break til next week. ..

But,they made one of my favorite book characters do something I have a hard time seeing him doing. That's not fair,but it's true. So I'll sulk in my corner...

Pivoting a bit... does this set up the 'Stannis is the next Night's King' theory?

Edited by Adam with one D

That is a fair point. I wish it were closer to the character in the book and give them a break til next week. ..

But they made one of my favorite book characters do something I have a hard time seeing him doing. That's not fair,but it's true. So I'll sulk in my corner...

Pivoting a bit... does this set up the 'Stannis is the next Night's King' theory?

Who "they"? Isn't George R R Martin singular?

You can hardly call 'making the best show they can' a ringing endorsement, of all the things he could say about their work after 5 years...'making the best show they can' is faint praise indeed.

"There has seldom been any TV series as faithful to its source material"

This isn't though. And far too many people are doing a lot more reaching to support their hypothesis that GRRM supposedly hates the show when he's done nothing but defend it. And then when he says something good about it, people push it aside as "pshhhh he'll never say anything bad with the amount of money he's making".

Um, I don't know where else to post this but has anyone else mentioned how Linda has completely lost her mind?

https://twitter.com/hippoiathanatoi/with_replies

I was planning on buy WOIAF but holy shit, if somebody this disrespectful and volatile would earn my money then forget about it. How is this shit tolerable?

At least Elio remains somewhat objective when he doesn't like something from the show. He's always been very respectful in that regard.

Sorry.. I meant D&D's ideas of Stannis' motivation in the scene

The motivation in general will be the same, to clear an obstacle from his way to his supposed destiny. It really doesn't matter which obstacle. Any sane parent would put their offsprings life before theirs in any given situation, so the rest is just rationalising.

That is a fair point. I wish it were closer to the character in the book and I should give them a break til next week. ..

But,they made one of my favorite book characters do something I have a hard time seeing him doing. That's not fair,but it's true. So I'll sulk in my corner...

My interpretation of Stannis's character is closer to that of D&D's than to fellow fans' whose favorite character happens to be Stannis, so I don't feel like they ruined his character. I do feel like the sacrifice of Shireen wasn't built up well enough, however.

The motivation in general will be the same, to clear an obstacle from his way to his supposed destiny. It really doesn't matter which obstacle. Any sane parent would put their offsprings life before theirs in any given situation, so the rest is just rationalising.

Completely agree. I guess I meant that I'm torn between accepting it for what it was and the emotional investment in Stannis as a character since I first read ACOK.

Edit- so I really think the introduction of the Night's King in the show and Stannis burning his daughter really sets up D&D to turn him into the next Night's King.

Then Mel's vision of him at the final battle wouldn't be completely wrong either.

Edited by Adam with one D

Almost one day has passed and my rage has cooled off, so i will say this as a calm but sad fan...

I hope your favourite character doesn't do something that makes you feel there's no going back for either the character or the possibility of supporting another with the same passion...

My favourite character at the beginning was Robert, because despite all his flaws i could cling to his happy, good-hearted younger self every time i had to remind myself of his fall from grace...

Then, Stannis... i have a friend who's favourite is Jaime and in spite of the Bran issue, the child survived and the reason in jaime's head was to protect his family, like a lot of the lannisters who do terrible things...

So i was prepared for Stannis to do some bad things but to always have a chance of redeeming himself, like a lot of fan favourite characters have... but burning Shireen, burning his daughter... as a fan it makes you feel sad because we know he's going to die, but the knife in the gut, is that he cannot have a redemption story, even if he saves Winterfell and thousands... why? because his daughter was the most purest person to me in this story, and his beacon... and she was burned alive by his command...

Like Robert, i will support him until his death... but sadly unlike Robert, i won´t feel he will redeem himself and die in the good side of things...

The man who was the last to eat Davos's food, gave it the same amount to every person and last to himself, did justice for the good and bad, liberated the Wall and the NW, made a flea bottom smugler a knight and hand because he saw merit and not rank, so many examples that made me feel i would say or do the exact same thing if i was there, the man who would think of renly until his very death...

And then, lets the kindest of hearts die a horrible death both physically and mentaly because she knew he loved her, just not enough as she or i expected...

Again, hope this won´t happen to the characters you love and follow... i'm a baratheon boy, and if they die.... i hope they can RIP

Now... Party Time :lol:

He's been saying a lot of things, lately, Like how he didn't create Garlan and Willas for "hoots and laughs". He's in full Sansa mode: being courteous but tearing the show apart inside.

elio and linda are not as disturbed with the scene as I would had expected.

worst asoif day ever. My favourite gray character tourned into Melkor.

I have and like most people with a brain and a knowledge of classical mythology, I considered Shireen likely to be a burner since Mel first appeared.

You have stated Stannis Baratheon has burnt people for not believing in his god in the books, which shows you have not read them at all.

You have stated Stannis Baratheon has burnt people for not believing in his god in the books, which shows you have not read them at all.

I've managed to read through page 43, and have seen quite a few complaints that the show is spoiling TWOW by revealing that Shireen will burn. I hate to break it to people, but season 7 will more than likely be over before TWOW is out. Hell the series might be over before TWOW is out. I just don't see how hard it is to like the book and the show independently.

I will however admit that the pit scene was pretty weak. You're going to tell me that Drogon couldn't have flown in and burnt people at the same time? He had to land first and then start burning people. He could have at least scared off most of the SOH before letting Dany mount him and fly away.

Either way, love the show and the books. Those are my two cents.