[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

GRRM never showed violence toward women, and all his female characters are empowered 21st Century feminists.

No... but he did create an entire kingdom where sex doesn't matter.

I'm not trying to be snarky,just sayin

Edit-if you're sick of people complaining(where else can we go?) Just stop reading.

Edited by Adam with one D

worst asoif day ever. My favourite gray character tourned into Melkor.

Fact is, this series really isn't that grey at all.

Good Guys- Starks, Tullys, Blackwoods, Martells, Manderlys, and most First Men

Bad Guys- Greyjoys, Blackfyres, Baratheons, Brackens, Freys, Andals, Boltons, and the Ghiscari

Only families that really falk into th grey categories are the Lannisters, Tyrells, and Targaryens.

Fact is, this series really isn't that grey at all.

Good Guys- Starks, Tullys, Blackwoods, Martells, Manderlys, and most First Men

Bad Guys- Greyjoys, Blackfyres, Baratheons, Brackens, Freys, Andals, Boltons, and the Ghiscari

Only families that really falk into th grey categories are the Lannisters, Tyrells, and Targaryens.

Now that is one very interesting cathegorization....

GRRM never showed violence toward women, and all his female characters are empowered 21st Century feminists.

You should just routinely post this all the time. The "the show mistreats women but not the books" may be the most obnoxious meme out there. The books pretty much abuse everyone, but especially women.

Um, I don't know where else to post this but has anyone else mentioned how Linda has completely lost her mind?https://twitter.com/hippoiathanatoi/with_replies

I was planning on buying WOIAF but holy shit, if somebody this disrespectful and volatile would earn my money then forget about it. How is this shit tolerable?

She's terrible. Do you see what she's calling people? She is openly calling people 'retards' and 'c*nts' and telling people to 'go f*cking die'. Obviously uncensored though. Unbelievable. I won't buy another book she's associated with. If I'm GRRM I am dis-associating myself from her ASAP.

After JonCon posts and lindas tweets, Im starting to feel the relationship between hbo and martin wont end well.

I think GRRM has no choice but to side w HBO. After all of the despicable things Linda has been saying to people he can't remain associated with her, no matter how much she's helped him over the years.

After JonCon posts and lindas tweets, Im starting to feel the relationship between hbo and martin wont end well.

I assume GRRM is making serious $c.r.e.a.m.$ off hbo so he probably reached an "oh well" point a long time ago. Edited by Adam with one D

We are moving past the books. This was going to happen.

Readers/viewers have the right to make certain characters their favorites but such choices always reveal something about said individuals.

Anyone favoriting Ramsey scares the crap out of me.

Fans believing anyone will sit the iron throne at the end of all of this have a strange world view given that virtually every character is grey.

There are few characters I could back for any kingship/queenship in this world and none without some concern for both the character and those inhabiting this world. Jon is perhaps the least tainted, but he did abandon Yigrite and he his heart is horribly divided.

We are moving past the books. This was going to happen.

Readers/viewers have the right to make certain characters their favorites but such choices always reveal something about said individuals.

Anyone favoriting Ramsey scares the crap out of me.

Fans believing anyone will sit the iron throne at the end of all of this have a strange world view given that virtually every character is grey.

There are few characters I could back for any kingship/queenship in this world and none without some concern for both the character and those inhabiting this world. Jon is perhaps the least tainted, but he did abandon Yigrite and he his heart is horribly divided.

Stannis is not grey for them. He is plain evil. Gregor level.

Key word here is AMBITION. And the writters said it. Thats how they get the guy.

It was AMBITION vs FAMILY.

Stannis is the worst human being in the five seasons. Nobody has done something as evil and selfish as him.

Here I was, hoping that maybe we'd get Doran revealing Trystane as Aegon this episode because of the title. But Dorne was just as... pointless, as ever. The conversation with Doran and Jaime just felt like it had no purpose. And when Ellaria was kneeling in front of Doran, I was hoping so bad that he'd let her in on some sort of plan, anything, please... but nope. And I have no idea why that scene with Nym and Tyene slapping hands seemed to last forever. Why are they wasting so much time on pointless scenes? I loved the show so much in the past, but the whole entire Dorne storyline felt like I was watching some other crappy movie. I have no idea how they dropped the ball with Dorne so badly. So far we got "this family hates the Lannisters but is just playing along because no one wants to piss the Lannisters off". And we're supposed to care why? That could describe probably every House in Westeros right now. The whole point was Doran had a plan. If we don't get one next episode.... Seeing the previously on segment, and seeing Jaime in that stupid costume just reminded me again how low the quality has dropped.

Anyways...

I enjoyed Daznak's Pit. I liked how it played out with Jorah, it worked well emotionally on the screen. It was epic to watch really. I got chills when Drogon flew in. Only problem for me truly was the mediocre CGI used when Dany was riding him. It was just distracting to be honest. It's hard to watch all the awesome scenes with the dragons, the cool Hardhome battle last week, and then when you get hit with some below par CGI when you've been showed greatness this whole time, it ends up taking you out of the moment. At least it did for me. I watched it again afterwards, and it was more moving once I knew what to expect. I did like the sequence, and the music of course was beautiful. It was cathartic due to how much we've been waiting for this. But yeah... I wish maybe they could have cut some of the budget out of Hardhome (like I don't know, skip the avalanche of bodies that fell and reanimated?) so they could have enough to make Dany's flight look better. It was such an epic moment, but the bad CGI was too jarring because we're used to better.

I also missed, of course, Dany actually taming Drogon. When I read her taming him with the whip in the books, my heart was pumping and I had chills. And I thought "wow, this will be so epic to see acted out and portrayed on screen". That was something that really could have given Emilia something to do other than look sad which we've seen. Taming with a whip is more "action" for her actual character, which would have been awesome to see. I could just imagine her dress getting ripped as she pulls off the shoulder cape etc... So - the pit could have been a bit more for me..

I'm not even touching Stannis. I had no idea how I felt about the scene even during it - was just kinda staring in shock as my stomach roiled. I'm still processing it....

With regards to Jon being on the wrong side of the Wall at the beginning (I know many talked about this last week from the preview). I did think of something that would explain it. Perhaps it was agreed upon that they wouldn't take the ships back to Eastwatch but rather approach from the Northern side because they needed to confirm that Jon was still alive. I mean, there would have been a risk of all the wildlings piling on the ships and then just killing Jon and sailing to Eastwatch. But this way, the NW were able to confirm Jon hadn't been killed before letting the wildlings through.

Just read those tweets...wow...

She pretty much confirms that if George tells them something, he's going to do it. So there you go book trolls...confirmation it was going to happen by Stannis' hand.

Get over it, it's the character arc Martin has had in mind for him since the beginning and plenty of smart readers saw it coming.

Remarkably good Dorne content considering what we got in certain earlier episodes. And the scene in the arena was good, it would have been better if Drogon had seemed more of a threat to Dany and Tyrion et al first, before she calmed him or something. But what was that firestorm we same when Drogon appeared, was he just squirting flame while flying or was there some point to it?

Furthermore: https://promethiumwings.wordpress.com/2015/06/08/game-of-thrones-s5e09-review/