[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

Stannis sacrificing Shireen is not only morally wrong and out of character, but stupid. It makes no sense for him to get rid of his only heir just for ... what, exactly? Food? As people have said before, this isn't the first time Stannis has been faced with hardship. He's been starved in war before, that never stopped him. He wouldn't give up his only heir (who, in the show anyway, he loves immensely) just so his men won't starve. I can see him sacrificing her for an extreme circumstance, (like if her death would save everyone from the white walkers or something) but this? It was just bad writing on D&D's part. Even if GRRM is doing it in the books, he'll probably have it make sense, at least.

I thought it was because without better conditions they would not survive the march. Or that they couldn't march at all.

Basically, it was his life or hers.

He knows how to keep the Sand Snakes under control, but does he know the difference between a preganglionic fiber and a postganglionic nerve?

I'd like to know whatever happened to the poster who gave us......Depressed Doran? Damn, I could go for another installment of that if said poster is around. :crying:

I thought it was because without better conditions they would not survive the march. Or that they couldn't march at all.

If Davos can get back to CB, so can the rest of them.

There was no established reason for it. None whatsoever. It's not even proven that it works.

There was no established reason for it. None whatsoever. It's not even proven that it works.

It does seem a bit risky with Mel batting 2 out of 3 on dead Kings. Balon Greyjoy, long may he reign. :bowdown:

Edited by Lady Fevre Dream

It really wasnt explained why in the show. I gathered it was because the food supplies were burned.

In the books, they want to have more sacrifices for better weather and Stannis tells them to pray harder (note: Shireen isnt even with them at this point).

In the show, this is really what, the second hurdle hes endured on this march? I can accept that in dire situations people do what they have to, but the show didnt present the current situation as life or death. It didnt feel as if it was dire. It really felt like Stannis woke up and felt like burning someone which is totally out of charachter seeing as he is moving away from burning people as a punishment (hell he even said hang the guards instead of the traditional burning that Mel would relish in).

Edited by Misnthropia

HAHAHA, um, yeah. Cause you know - moving an entire army is the same as one guy taking the fastest horse (of the few remaining) and riding there solo?

And people here claim that the showrunners are the ones lacking logic :dunno:

It really wasnt explained why in the show. I gathered it was because the food supplies were burned.

They have hundreds of dead horses now though.

And let's be honest, if twenty men can destroy all your food and all your horses, you were going to lose that battle anyway.

If thats the case (I thought they were simply freed) then theres hundreds of horses ready for BBQing tonight.

This whole plot stinks. Its absolutely lousy, lazy writing. Stannis, hardened battle commander. Couldnt defend his lines against 20 men. They simply wanted a reason to shock (and possibly take Stannis down a peg or three) people in Episode 9.

Havent we used up the "shocking scenes" budget for one season?

Edited by Misnthropia

And let's be honest, if twenty men can destroy all your food and all your horses, you were going to lose that battle anyway.

This is SolidSnakeRamsbo and the 20 predators you're talking about. Burning the supplies was as easy as breathing for him and he probably did it with his shirt off. The reason he didn't kill Satannis is because he wants him to give Ramsbo a last good fight before he flays him alive.

Stannis sacrificing Shireen is not only morally wrong and out of character, but stupid. It makes no sense for him to get rid of his only heir just for ... what, exactly? Food? As people have said before, this isn't the first time Stannis has been faced with hardship. He's been starved in war before, that never stopped him. He wouldn't give up his only heir (who, in the show anyway, he loves immensely) just so his men won't starve. I can see him sacrificing her for an extreme circumstance, (like if her death would save everyone from the white walkers or something) but this? It was just bad writing on D&D's part. Even if GRRM is doing it in the books, he'll probably have it make sense, at least.

I think the queen agrees to do it and yes I'm aware that she loves her daughter more than Stannis even but she's fallen for Mel's religion too hard and fully has faith that she agrees to do it. Stannis maybe present but I doubt it.

Secret alliance with the Klingons confirmed. The Lannisters'll never know what hit them.

Not to go all Trekkie on you but not only did the Klingons have nothing to do with the enhancements but by the time DS9 came around, the Klingons were members of the Federation.

You could try Cardashians, Dominion or (I think ) Romulans.

Edited by Winter's Knight

Not to go all Trekkie on you but not only did the Klingons have nothing to do with the enhancements but by the time DS9 came around, the Klingons were members of the Federation.

You could try Cardashians, Dominion or (I think ) Romulans.

Allied with the Federation, not members, but yeah I know it doesn't make sense. My inner child just wants to see what a bat'leth could do to a WW.

Edit: And feel free to go all Trekkie til they ban us both! I eat that stuff up.

Edited by Perfidious Algernon

I think the queen agrees to do it and yes I'm aware that she loves her daughter more than Stannis even but she's fallen for Mel's religion too hard and fully has faith that she agrees to do it. Stannis maybe present but I doubt it.

I dont think she loves her daughter more than Stannis. Everything shes done in both books and shows has pointed to her not really feeling much affection or compassion for her. More so when Melisandre came onto the scene. She speaks of Shireen as a heathen and suggests she should be punished many times.

Stannis has shown nothing but commitment to Shireen, as a baby with Greyscale and now as a young girl. He is a prickly man at the best of times and for him to show so much affection, breaking through his stern iron demeanor, really speaks volumes about how much he loves her and cares for her.

Edited by Misnthropia

There was no established reason for it. None whatsoever.

There were at least 3 or 4 scenes establishing that Stannis was stuck in the snow, his sellswords were deserting, men dying of cold, food supplies destroyed by Ramsay etc They could have established it better but there clearly was a reason for show Stannis to burn Shireen. It was that or die where he was.