[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

In my opinion its just poor writing....

EDIT: just because doesn't make any sense the way D&D placed the sacrifice.... and so many scenes on this season (Littlefinger just hand over Sansa to the Boltons; the Bolton actually marry her to the family; etc)

1 year of siege in Storm's End and he resisted..... 1 day (tops) without food and he succumbs to sacrifice his own daughter.... on the books he refuses to sacrifice Asha or any unbeliever for this....

"Half my army is made of unbelievers. No more burnings. Pray harder"

That's a incredibly good point!! and they even mention the siege of Storm's End on the show, he talks about eating cats and dogs.........C'mon D&D!!!

Actually the people with common sense have no problem figuring out what's going on. It's the people that hate the show that need every single detail spelled out for them in excruciating detail.

Right..... Explain to me again why Jon and the wildlings got off of the ships at Eastwatch on the North side of the Wall and walked without supplies to Castle Black? What detail do I need spelling out to me?

Right..... Explain to me again why Jon and the wildlings got off of the ships at Eastwatch on the North side of the Wall and walked without supplies to Castle Black? What detail do I need spelling out to me?

Don't you understand how storytelling works? Epic stare-off trumps logic every time.

OMG! Those poor people trying to stay hydrated as they march through piles and piles of snow!! Whatever shall they do, amidst all those snowdrifts, to get some life-giving water! How can they keep walking with literally millions of snowflakes falling into their faces and melting on their skin... and their lips.... and their tongues.....!!!!!

Finally! Some common sense. Thank you.

:lol: Yep, it's like eating ice cream or drinking slurpees when walking around in a snowstorm....when you're already losing an incredible amount of body heat!

Ok, you definitely knows cold..... you live it, I know, you have more experience than I and know it more than I.... but it doesn't mean that others won't..... otherwise this discussion is futile....... its like "i know more than you all so no one can discuss with me"

and I know that his situation is dire, very dire.... but in the books when he is faced with the same decision, he refused to make ANY sacrifice.....

He was with a full army of mounted knights at Deepwood Motte.... about half of his army of mounted knights..... now he has something like 800 or maybe less.... Ramsay never destroyed his supplies..... even so his knights asked for a sacrifice of an unbeliever and he just answered "Half my army is made of unbelievers. No more burnings. Pray harder"

And just remember, Asha is with them..... she is an unbeliever with kingsblood.... and still he refused to do it.....

In fact, 3 out of the 4 men charged with cannibalism are burned in Dance, offered up as sacrifices to R'hllor to break the weather, and then there's the tWoW chapter to ponder over.

I realise in the books the situation they are written to be in is much more dire, because chapter after chapter is dedicated to their suffering, yet there are also hints that the further away from Mel he is, the more reasonable/humane he becomes; which does make me question the showrunners/writers decision to have him take Mel, Selyse, and Shireen along for the march on Winterfell. He knew winter had arrived, why make his family suffer through it?

I have never been a Stannis supporter, and the only reason I re-read the chapters involving him was because of his dialogue with either Davos or Jon. There were some amusing moments that were refreshing in the midst of all the bleakness. The overall bleakness is what stopped me from caring who lives and who dies in the books - exceptions being the remaining direwolves, a couple of Free Folk, and Edd. The only reason I read Feast and Dance was for completion, nothing more.

The show, on the other hand, has a cast of actors who have wormed their way into my heart despite the fact that I know they're all going to die, and the showrunners have promised to complete the story by 2017. :shrug: To each their own.

Edited by roxWolfox 🍁

In fact, 3 out of the 4 men charged with cannibalism are burned in the books, offered up as sacrifices to R'hllor to break the weather.

I know that.... cannibals and daughters it's hardly remotely comparable.... he sacrificed them for the fact they eat people..... if he ignore this, they would continue to do this.... he needs to control his men, and prevent that some psycho soldiers just kill the others for their flesh......

Edited by Tyu-Chuck

But how is a battle between two sides, where we care about neither side (anymore), good writing? Or even remotely interesting? If we don't care about the characters on either side, what investment do we have in the outcome?

Soldiers in war often learn that both sides are beyond redemption. That is reality. I watched most of this series without caring who won the battles. I will care about the WW vs. Jon/Dany and whomever. I can't see the show or books ending without Jon/Dany; therefore, Jon is not dead (with or without Martin's ironic question regarding Jon).

But caring about Stannis vs. Ramsey? I will be invested in what comes out of that conflict, not the conflict.

And no one will sit the iron throne for any significant time in the future.

Edited by BlueDragon

But how is a battle between two sides, where we care about neither side (anymore), good writing? Or even remotely interesting? If we don't care about the characters on either side, what investment do we have in the outcome?

:dunno:

That's the difference between this mess and Martin's work. Remember Blackwater? It was hard to take a side. We felt guilty for wishing any side to lose. We now want both side to die.

I am guessing most viewers will want Stannis to win for the simple fact that it will get Sansa away from Ramsey and the Boltons.

yup, after she is free, they all could die as far as most people care, word gets around Sansa's free, the North rally’s, someone is sent to find Bran and or Rickon (Brienne or Davos) WF is won then the wall falls after FTW.

That's the difference between this mess and Martin's work. Remember Blackwater? It was hard to take a side. We felt guilty for wishing any side to lose. We now want both side to die.

Ah the Blackwater... One of the best hours of TV of my life.

No, you (and others) had difficulty taking a side. You (and others) felt guilty. I didn't care who won or lost, as I disliked both sides equally, and did not feel guilty about the outcome.

Hell, that was when I began to like the Hound as he said 'eff this crap'. I ended up taking his side in the matter.

I am guessing most viewers will want Stannis to win for the simple fact that it will get Sansa away from Ramsey and the Boltons.

Why would viewers feel confident that Stannis won't burn Sansa? She's got kings' blood also? He's left all rationality behind, and all he has left is blood magic and brute force. Viewers should want Stannis dead the same way they want Ramsay dead.

yup, after she is free, they all could die as far as most people care, word gets around Sansa's free, the North rally’s, someone is sent to find Bran and or Rickon (Brienne or Davos) WF is won then the wall falls after FTW.

LOL, what North? Is there even a "North" to rally? They seem pretty thin on the ground thus far.

Why would viewers feel confident that Stannis won't burn Sansa? She's got kings' blood also? He's left all rationality behind, and all he has left is blood magic and brute force. Viewers should want Stannis dead the same way they want Ramsay dead.

Naw, Stannis won't burn Sansa. He'll burn Selyse and then forcibly marry Sansa, because that just can't happen to her enough, can it? Besides, he needs an heir now, doesn't he?

*shudder*

I apologize. I should head back to the Rant & Rave thread.