[Book Spoilers] EP509 Discussion

Ran

He's out of military options. His stores have been destroyed, many of his horses killed and WINTER IS COMING. He sees his only option as going forward and needs a big hand from the Red God. Mel has been going on and on about the value of "king's Blood" and the necessity of sacrifice.....how is it you don't get this?

Why are you assuming I "don't get this"? In fact, I do "get this". I was pointing out that "this" makes no sense.

Dead horses = food. And the camp is right next to a lake. And Mel the Black Dread has been going on and on about king's blood now, but conveniently forgot about Mance and Aemon's.

And Mel also went on and on about the leeches, but somehow hasn't yet managed to put Balon Greyjoy away.

Hmmm. Wouldn't someone want some more assurances, or some more proof that it will do any good at all, before they burn their child and sole heir?

The show wanted Stannis burn Shireen. They forced the situation into that. I don't see why the complication accepting this. The excuse they gave was lame. Because they give Ramsay to much power in order to look Stannis desperate. It's not like Stannis and his men could have easily gone through this, they chose to make him look desperate. It's not as portraying a situation desperate.

Like, why Stannis didn't leave Selyse and Shireen in Castle Black? Simple, they wanted them to be in the same place so he could burn her.

Why Stannis' men were God-knows-where when Ramsay and 20 men were around burning food and horses? They wanted Stannis lose his resources to look desperate and need to burn Shireen.

How Ramsay and 20 men managed to get through a whole camp without unnoticed? They wanted them to break chaos so Stannis would feel he's against a wall (npi).

Why is like Stannis conveniently forgot only two of the three promised Kings had died? Plot needed.

Why Stannis, a man who not only starved himself but his own men and wife instead of giving up a castle, didn't find other options before executing his own daughter? Plot wanted him to.

Again, it's not like he was not in a bad situation. The show chose to make this situation unbelievable bad and forced it into it.

The show wanted Stannis burn Shireen. They forced the situation into that. I don't see why the complication accepting this. The excuse they gave was lame. Because they give Ramsay to much power in order to look Stannis desperate. It's not like Stannis and his men could have easily gone through this, they chose to make him look desperate. It's not as portraying a situation desperate.

Again, it's not like he was not in a bad situation. The show chose to make this situation unbelievable bad and forced it into it.

You just described the entirety of Sansa's arc this season, JonCon. Simply plot-device characterization and actions. In both cases, in detriment to their characterization, to make them act stupid for demands of the plot. Like Sansa choosing to go to Winterfell, this was just a pretty poor plot-device.

You just described the entirety of Sansa's arc this season, JonCon. Simply plot-device characterization and actions. In both cases, in detriment to their characterization, to make them act stupid for demands of the plot. Like Sansa choosing to go to Winterfell, this was just a pretty poor plot-device.

Yep, pretty much. I'm pretty sure there's a quote that's been flying around from one of the show runners that is pretty all-encompassing when it comes to the plot choices they have made this season :P

Okay, I'll bite. How is this act of burning his daughter necessary for his destiny? What was his reason? What was he trying to accomplish? What is the likelihood (if any) that his goals (if any) by this action will (or can) come to pass? Was there discussion of this act: weighing of options, calculations of outcomes?

He's out of military options. His stores have been destroyed, many of his horses killed and WINTER IS COMING. He sees his only option as going forward and needs a big hand from the Red God. Mel has been going on and on about the value of "king's Blood" and the necessity of sacrifice.....how is it you don't get this?

With the info that D&D said. Do you think its possible that Stannis wrote the pink letter which could cause Mel to sacrifice Shireen.That way Stannis is involved in her death but not fully hands on.I mean Mel will also be dealing with Jon's death and getting that letter I could see her grabbing that girl in a heartbeat.Whose to say with her burning Shireen trying to bring Stannis back ends up resurrecting Jon.