[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

5/10

So weird ! Dorne is boring, I felt like I was watching a parody of GOT.

Apparently the Baratheon's bloodline will no longer exist after Stannis dies. But the scene was well made,I liked the acting of everybody.

And finally, I expected a lot from this scene after reading it in the book (Dany flying with Drogon) and it looked so weird. I guess this scene was not made for TV.

A provisional 8. Need to rewatch in the morning when more awake, and mull it over a bit more. I'm with you Phoenix that the Drogon scene wasn't entirely what I wanted it to be, but I admit it was still stirring... stirring enough that it took awhile to realize that Dany had abandoned her friend, her lover, her new advisor, and her old protector to their fates while they were surrounded by sons of the harpy...

As to the Shireen thing, horrifying and tragic. Amazing performances all around. I don't think D&D really earned the moment, though, I think they really failed to make the real desperation of the situation obvious, so I think a lot of people will balk at that. That said, I've always seen Stannis as Agamemnon to Shireen's Iphigenia, and have always supposed that Stannis would be faced with the decision of sacrificing his own daughter. His vision of a king with a fiery crown being burned to ashes may well have a glimpse of the past, re: Viserys, but to me it says that Stannis will ultimately be destroyed by what he's doing, and to me there's a lot of emotional resonance in his sacrificing his own daughter. The only reason he didn't burn Edric, besides the fact that Davos got the boy away, was being convinced that he was doing it for the wrong reasons and needed to focus on saving the realm from the Great Other.... but if at the end of things he has nothing left to win the war but the promise of what the sacrifice of king's blood can offer... well.

Looks like his conscience will overcome him soon and in the end, all he will realize that all he's done has been for nothing. The white walkers will come and his cause for the iron throne will be pointless.

Dorne is neccessary in order to get Jaime out of King's Landing for Cersei's story line. Honestly, there's no other reason for it. The reason why they have scenes there is because Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is one of the main actors on the show and they can't just cut him out for an entire season like they did with Bran.

Dorne is still boring as hell. They cut LS for that boring shit. Amazes me.

It felt like nothing really happened. Actually it's felt this way ever since season 4, exactly the point in which the series diverts from the books. The writing has been terrible during all of these 19 episodes. The dialogues are so dull, that it makes you feel like nothing is happening.

He's not a co-producer. The show is strictly Benioff and Weiss. Martin was adamant in the commentary for S03E07 that he had no part in the Theon mutilation scene, and hated it.

Didn't air on HBO Canada.

Well in that case, you now know, that was GRRM's idea.

He's not a co-producer. The show is strictly Benioff and Weiss. Martin was adamant in the commentary for S03E07 that he had no part in the Theon mutilation scene, and hated it.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Gave it a 3. Enjoyed the pit and Drogon's return. Dorne had entertaining moments with trystane now being sent to KL. Shireen and Stannis was a train wreck, along with the arya scenes. The Wall foreshadowed FTW for next week.

I get it, but it's still inherently evil no matter what the greater good is. Especially since Stannis is not even a true believer to begin with. Lots of ways they could have approached the situation without making Stannis appear to be a psychopath. He allows his daughter to believe she is going to help him just before letting her see that her father is willing to sacrifice her right in front of him. Honestly, if Stannis absolutely HAD to do this, could they not mix a sleeping draught or something first? It's just insane and gross.

I agree, especially since he manipulated her emotionally at first. She didn't know what she's in for, it's like he lured her to her death.

Now I wonder if Shireen's sacrifice will happen in the books. The tragedy in the show though, they showed Stannis and Shireen bonding but he was forced to give her up for his cause.

Likely, just not with Stannis' approval, which is really whats pissing me and everyone else off. Stannis actually approving of his own daughter to be burned horribly for an agenda is not the kind of person he is. His dismissal of the Edric Storm (in the show, Gendry) thing is proof that he isnt willing to kill an innocent child for something like this. Let alone his own daughter. Why should anyone root for show!Stannis now? Unless the show has him going on a suicide mission, i dont see the point in this being Stannis approved.

In the books, Stannis likely wont be present if Shireen dies by Mel's hands. If the show had had Selyse be the one to hand over Shireen, and Stannis be the one to try to stop this, it likely wouldnt have been so bad and a character assassination of the worst kind. I cannot and will not forgive the show runners for this one. The Sansa rape business was a final straw, but this...D&D can be devoured by Nidhoggr and i wouldnt care.

I give the episode a 5 because the last fifteen minutes were kinda wiggy.

A provisional 8. Need to rewatch in the morning when more awake, and mull it over a bit more. I'm with you Phoenix that the Drogon scene wasn't entirely what I wanted it to be, but I admit it was still stirring... stirring enough that it took awhile to realize that Dany had abandoned her friend, her lover, her new advisor, and her old protector to their fates while they were surrounded by sons of the harpy...

As to the Shireen thing, horrifying and tragic. Amazing performances all around. I don't think D&D really earned the moment, though, I think they really failed to make the real desperation of the situation obvious, so I think a lot of people will balk at that. That said, I've always seen Stannis as Agamemnon to Shireen's Iphigenia, and have always supposed that Stannis would be faced with the decision of sacrificing his own daughter. His vision of a king with a fiery crown being burned to ashes may well have a glimpse of the past, re: Viserys, but to me it says that Stannis will ultimately be destroyed by what he's doing, and to me there's a lot of emotional resonance in his sacrificing his own daughter. The only reason he didn't burn Edric, besides the fact that Davos got the boy away, was being convinced that he was doing it for the wrong reasons and needed to focus on saving the realm from the Great Other.... but if at the end of things he has nothing left to win the war but the promise of what the sacrifice of king's blood can offer... well.

and how will this happen if stannis is half a world away from shireen at this point?

come on. you know this is BS. Everybody who has read the books knows that mel is going to burn shireen at the wall, probably to save Jon, and that stannis is at WF trying to get the castle. He probably wont even make it.

For gods sake, he asks Massey to put her in the throne when he dies.

You know much more than us. but I cant find any sence in your Agammenon and iphigenia comment. Really its just apples and oranges.

Stannis probably wont ever seen Shireen again. And even, eveeen if he comes back to the wall, and mel hasnt burnt her at that point, the choice would be made because big shit as an others attack. Not ramsey burning some provisions.

Dorne is neccessary in order to get Jaime out of King's Landing for Cersei's story line. Honestly, there's no other reason for it. The reason why they have scenes there is because Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is one of the main actors on the show and they can't just cut him out for an entire season like they did with Bran.

As GRRM says.

(I just hope we'll be able to get him back, if and when D&D decide to return to the riverlands).

5/10

So weird ! Dorne is boring, I felt like I was watching a parody of GOT.

Apparently the Baratheon's bloodline will no longer exist after Stannis dies. But the scene was well made,I liked the acting of everybody.

And finally, I expected a lot from this scene after reading it in the book (Dany flying with Drogon) and it looked so weird. I guess this scene was not made for TV.

Naw, on paper Hardhome was a lot harder to execute(even though it's a show creation) and that came out killer.

Just poor screenplay and direction. Seeing them all holding hands running together is kind of sickeningly tacky.

Easy fix: Have more unsullied and have them get massacred around the queen, have Daario take a superficial wound and go down. Meanwhile, Drogon lands and goes into a rampage, Jorah calls it's attention to Dany as the situation becomes dire. Jorah takes a shot a flame(fatal or not) and goes down. Dany climbs on Drogon as spears just barely miss her and escapes as her retinue appears to be dead or dying.

What the hell are they doing? I was on board with this season 100% until this episode. First, I really thought they would redeem Dorne this episode by having Doran reveal his true colors, but no, they've made Dorne completely useless. The Arya stuff could have been handled much better and was just awkward. Stannis burning Shireen, what the hell? After their wonderful scene earlier this season that pretty much symbolized the opposite of what just happened. And the Fighting Pits scene just didn't feel right to me, maybe because of the burning scene right before it. I have probably given 10s to all episodes this season so far, but this one was just awful...

2/10. Brutally bad. Every scene had holes and broken logic.. and the last scene in the pit sparked outright laughter. Jorah, please be sure to manhandle the person you're sworn to protect, so that there is every chance of passing on that fatal disease you have. Harpies.. only one attack at a time, please! No reason to use your numbers to overwhelm a smaller force. And if you're going to throw your spears.. remember, at the dragon only! Under no circumstances shall you throw them at the one person you're trying to kill.

and how will this happen if stannis is half a world away from shireen at this point?

come on. you know this is BS. Everybody who has read the books knows that mel is going to burn shireen at the wall, probably to save Jon, and that stannis is at WF trying to get the castle. He probably wont even make it.

For gods sake, he asks Massey to put her in the throne when he dies.

You know much more than us. but I cant find any sence in your Agammenon and iphigenia comment. Really its just apples and oranges.

Stannis probably wont ever seen Shireen again. And even, eveeen if he comes back to the wall, and mel hasnt burnt her at that point, the choice would be made because big shit as an others attack. Not ramsey burning some provisions.

Thank you.

http://media.tumblr.com/d7f9f0c63d922f6da5c00cdb6fa1a667/tumblr_inline_nkbe5dJ8t71qfwhgs.gif