[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

8. It could be lower but whatever. Drogon was a boss. Not sure what the hell they're doing in Dorne. He sent his son to be on the council? If an ambush occurs it must be Doran's doing, because he wouldn't send his heir to KL. Still confused.

I'm really digging Mace, he's hilarious.

And there's Stannis, well, that happened.

5. Mostly for production value, which is still high quality. But someone please explain... WHAT THE HELL DO THEY THINK THEY'RE DOING???

What I liked:

- Dany in Mereen was pretty good. I still think that they've kind of missed the point of that arc, and the war/peace conundrum, but the Harpy's attack and then Drogon's entrance was dramatic and effective.

- Jon's return. Very tense, they got that moment right. Sick of seeing Olly though, the moment would have played much better if he was conspicuously absent. Once again, D&D completely lack subtlety.

What I can't even begin to understand:

- Making Meryn as evil as possible. The audience already doesn't like him, and piling on by making him a pedophile was extremely heavy-handed, and more uncomfortable than effective.

- Stannis burning Shireen. I simply cannot believe that Stannis is going to do this, or even consider it. And the u-turn from where he was in episode 4, going to such measures to save her life.... They clearly tried to make it about his destiny, and the so-called 'greater good', but the problem is they've never actually properly interrogated this idea with him. As a result, the scene just came of as non-sensical, and frankly in-human. Stannis has no value as a character any more, and there's only two people to blame.

- Dorne. Someone, someone please explain to me what the point of that arc was. Literally nothing has come of it. From Doran's lack of characterisation, to the ridiculous sand snake antics, to the utterly inexplicable Ellaria u-turn, to the normalisation of incest, the most recent offering was an utter joke from start to finish. It frankly feels out of place in the show. Really the only think I can do is try to pretend it never happened.

8/10 (reasons for not being higher basically is Dorne in general and the Stannis thing but GRRM did tell D&D she died for king's blood- maybe at Stannis' hand).

The acting in the sacrifice scene was some of the best the show has EVER done so I don't know why people are hating the scene if you ignore your sentiment about book vs show Stannis. Daznak's wasn't Hardhome, but it was still great. Arya and the Wall good too.

Gave the episode a 5 as a first impression but I might change my mind on further reflection.

I don't know how objective I can be about the Shireen thing- it was so disturbing that I don't think I can properly evaluate it yet. Plus since its beyond book it can't be evaluated as an adaptation.

The rest of the episode I thought was generally substandard. The problem with the Arya stuff was again the sex stuff. I understand that there is a foundation for it, but I had hoped they would tone down the Mercy stuff as they did with Tyrion in his brothel visit and apparently we get the Pedo theme spread over two episodes. The Dorne stuff was weak as usual.

With Meereen the problem is much the same as it was with last season's finale with the Tyrion stuff. They changed a whole lot about the motivations of the characters and so the Big Event that occurs seems to lack the power of its book counterpart. And like the stuff last year, they actually did lay the groundwork to do it right and then went a very different direction for the climax. A shame.

Yeah I do.

Right. Meanwhile ASOIAF Stannis wants Shireen on the throne.

Don't get mad at me. I'm just the messenger. Here's the exact quote from post credits:

"It's obviously the hardest choice he's had in his life, and what it comes down to is just ambition vs familial love, and for Stannis sadly that choice is ambition. When George first told us about this, I remember looking at Dan and was just like god, that's so horrible, and so good in a story sense because it all comes together, from the beginning, from the first time we saw Stannis and Melissandre, they were sacrificing people. They were burning people alive on the beaches of dragonstone."

2/10. Brutally bad. Every scene had holes and broken logic.. and the last scene in the pit sparked outright laughter. Jorah, please be sure to manhandle the person you're sworn to protect, so that there is every chance of passing on that fatal disease you have. Harpies.. only one attack at a time, please! No reason to use your numbers to overwhelm a smaller force. And if you're going to throw your spears.. remember, at the dragon only! Under no circumstances shall you throw them at the one person you're trying to kill.

I gave it a better rating because I thought the rest of it was pretty good, but I'm in total agreement about that last scene. I know it has its problems in the book as well, but the way they handled it here made the problems with the scene blatantly obvious for all the reasons you mention.

Really HBO could you please make the seasons 12 or 14 episodes long the lack of build up to things is making GOT just hard to watch.

'Dany and the Dragons. You are a group of assassins. There are hundreds of you. You are surrounding the queen, whom you want to kill. She has two indifferent fighters protecting her. You: Stand around, waiting, staring, doing nothing, waiting, staring, rinse and repeat, until the magic dragon lands. The magic dragon and the pretty queen have a magic moment. They smile into one another's eyes. You do not kill her during this loving moment, cuz she's SOOOOOOO pretty. She rubs the nice dragon-pooh's tummy (no she doesn't, but she might as well have; she had the time, and the dragon looked like he would have gone for it). She gets on the dragon, flies away.'

Agree 100% what a butchery of a scene that could of been awesome.

1/10. Just god awful. Failed in every capacity.

Dorne stuff: plodding, badly written, acted, and seriously...Jamie just happens to be sitting there to enjoy the Martel's infighting? Jesus. I thought they were really going to put the cherry on top with Jamie banging her, but thankfully it did not come to that...yet.

Arya showcasing her assassin skills...ha. This would be laughable, if we weren't supposed to eventually believe that she will be an able and direct threat to her enemies.

Stannis...sweet God, Stannis. Some have said this will play out in the books, anyway, but I highly doubt. Woefully inadequate story-telling and plot/character direction.

Dany's scene was hamfisted, ruining the Unsullied once again, fousting Jorah back onto us in an unconvincing manner (dude sucked in the pit), and the terrible CGI of Dany mounting and crawling off with the lizard.

And the Wall stuff was mediocre, as well. Really thought they were just going to keep the gates closed...

Likely, just not with Stannis' approval, which is really whats pissing me and everyone else off. Stannis actually approving of his own daughter to be burned horribly for an agenda is not the kind of person he is. His dismissal of the Edric Storm (in the show, Gendry) thing is proof that he isnt willing to kill an innocent child for something like this. Let alone his own daughter. Why should anyone root for show!Stannis now? Unless the show has him going on a suicide mission, i dont see the point in this being Stannis approved.

In the books, Stannis likely wont be present if Shireen dies by Mel's hands. If the show had had Selyse be the one to hand over Shireen, and Stannis be the one to try to stop this, it likely wouldnt have been so bad and a character assassination of the worst kind. I cannot and will not forgive the show runners for this one. The Sansa rape business was a final straw, but this...D&D can be devoured by Nidhoggr and i wouldnt care.

I give the episode a 5 because the last fifteen minutes were kinda wiggy.

In the books though we haven't seen Stannis become very desperate yet. While in the show we saw them slowly wasting away especially after Ramsay's raid. Stannis doing this atrocious thing with Shireen makes sense for him given how desperate they are and how he thinks he's doing the right thing for the greater good. But yeah, no one is gonna root for him now because getting the iron throne is pointless with the upcoming white walkers invasion.

8/10 (reasons for not being higher basically is Dorne in general and the Stannis thing but GRRM did tell D&D she died for king's blood- maybe at Stannis' hand).

The acting in the sacrifice scene was some of the best the show has EVER done so I don't know why people are hating the scene if you ignore your sentiment about book vs show Stannis. Daznak's wasn't Hardhome, but it was still great. Arya and the Wall good too.

even as fan fiction, 20 guys burning all the food and siege weapons from the "finest commander in westeros" with 6k men, then him sending Davos who seams not to be able to predict or smell mel wants to burn shireen, and goes as a lamb, and stannis burning the girl after a day without any confirmed result.... makes no sence at all. Even as fan fiction.

him being surprised attacked should go the other way round. That mel cant predict shit.

How would you gave her your daughter to be burnt if she cant even protect you from a raid with his magical powers and visions????

Don't get mad at me. I'm just the messenger. Here's the exact quote from post credits:

"It's obviously the hardest choice he's had in his life, and what it comes down to is just ambition vs familial love, and for Stannis sadly that choice is ambition. When George first told us about this, I remember looking at Dan and was just like god, that's so horrible, and so good in a story sense because it all comes together, from the beginning, from the first time we saw Stannis and Melissandre, they were sacrificing people. They were burning people alive on the beaches of dragonstone."

That's not saying that the Book Stannis is going to do that at all. If anything I think the book Stannis wife would approve of this because she's a true believer.

even as fan fiction, 20 guys burning all the food and siege weapons from the "finest commander in westeros" with 6k men, then him sending Davos who seams not to be able to predict or smell mel wants to burn shireen, and goes as a lamb, and stannis burning the girl after a day without any confirmed result.... makes no sence at all. Even as fan fiction.

him being surprised attacked should go the other way round. That mel cant predict shit.

How would you gave her your daughter to be burnt if she cant even protect you from a raid with his magical powers and visions????

5. I'm more pissed about Dorne really than I'm about Stannis/Shireen. I can at least handwave Shireen on the grounds that the show is telling a different story. But the Dorne stuff is just horrible. Doran Martel has no plan but to give his only child as a hostage to KL? Really? The entire time spent in Dorne was a complete waste of time. We could have just had Myrcella and Trystane show up at KL in episode 10 and accomplished exactly the same thing . They certainly haven't given us even one reason to care about Dorne or any of the Dornish despite wasting so much time there.

That's not saying that the Book Stannis is going to do that at all. If anything I think the book Stannis wife would approve of this because she's a true believer.

She was a true believer in the show as well until she saw her daughter burning.

I'm sorry but I had to give this episode a 2. They've gone way off kilter from the books in every conceivable way that I'm on the very of not watching the next season. People have said on here that Stannis planned on burning Shireen yet fail to address the fact that she's at the castle and not beyond the wall. Neither is Davos which furthered my annoyance.

I hate the Dorne stuff as well. Jaime is in the North in the books and putting him in the South doesn't do a single thing to the story.