[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Now THAT was a beautiful ending!

WHAT? The pit was supposed to be a moment of badassery for Dany. A scene where she takes control of a rampaging dragon with a whip and fury. Instead we get whimpy nosetouching.

Can't believe they bothered to show a different side to Stannis just to create an impact for that scene only. Totally bogus, when they go back and force Stannis to become a complete villain anyhow.

Hard for me to like Stannis as even a book character now, seeing as how GRRM basically allowed this to happen.

Please don't let the show mess up your enjoyment of the books :crying:

Dorne is neccessary in order to get Jaime out of King's Landing for Cersei's story line. Honestly, there's no other reason for it. The reason why they have scenes there is because Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is one of the main actors on the show and they can't just cut him out for an entire season like they did with Bran.

The Riverlands wasn't far enough?

even as fan fiction, 20 guys burning all the food and siege weapons from the "finest commander in westeros" with 6k men, then him sending Davos who seams not to be able to predict or smell mel wants to burn shireen, and goes as a lamb, and stannis burning the girl after a day without any confirmed result.... makes no sence at all. Even as fan fiction.

him being surprised attacked should go the other way round. That mel cant predict shit.

How would you gave her your daughter to be burnt if she cant even protect you from a raid with his magical powers and visions????

This. Stannis MIGHT burn Shireen in the books. If he does it will be after appropriate character development, etc., not like this. Episode sucked.

I thought the burning scene was awful, not because Shireen was sacrificed, but just because it was so truncated, unearned, and treated, more or less, like just a plot point the writers had to tic off before moving forward.

I don't think Book Stannis is beyond burning his own daughter, but a whole ton of stuff would have to happen before he would ever get to that point. I think we'd have to see him being broken and losing his humanity in some way, and the show never did that. One episode he's telling his daughter that he would do anything for her, then the next he burns her after just like 20 seconds of hesitation. I mean burning a 10 year old girl at the stake is arguably the most horrible thing this show has ever done, so you'd think it would require a bit more set up than that.

Completely ruins show Stannis as a character, making him seem like he was pretty much always a sociopath (e.g. another Joffrey or Ramsey) with zero moral conflict. Even if he inevitably has a moment of regret in subsequent episodes, it still diminishes what is probably one of the most fascinating characters in the book.

I would have given this episode a negative score if possible. As 1 is the lowest, that's what it will get from me. Whether Stannis ends up burning his daughter in the books (which is strange considering that in the books he wants Shireen to inherit his crown) or not, the fact that Dumb and Dumber just made Stannis burn his daughter because his army lost their food supply is stupid as hell. And to top it, they have Selyse (the real fanatic) look better than Stannis. If GRRM meant for Stannis to be so callous and cruel, I sure as hell didn't get it from reading the books. I'm not even a huge fan of Stannis but they really butchered the character in this show. And to get an actor of Stephen Dillane's caliber to do this crap, is mind boggling to say the least.

The Mereen scene was also done poorly, inspite of Drogon's appearance. Seriously, Drogon needs a runway to take off. And Dany just decides to leave her followers behind to be slaughtered. The fact that they are not slaughtered by the sons of the Harpy is also dumb and illogical. Why and how are they still alive next episode. So once Dany flies off, the sons of the Harpy just say "Okay now let's go home. Who cares about the Khaleesi's advisers and royal guard." And I don't have to mention the ridiculousness of the Dorne scenes this season. The only saving grace this episode was Arya's reaction to seeing Meryn Trant.

Oh yeah, and Jorah touched Dany's hand. So does that mean she is going to get Greyscale or is Dumb and Dumber going to show that the myth of Targ's being immune to disease is true? Of course, D&D doesn't care about continuity or logic on this show, so they'll probably forget that scene altogether.

Edited by teej6

3 out of 10

Hated:

Shireen/Stannis. As another poster commented, if you are going to turn a character 180 degrees from everything he has stood for, there needs to be more lead up. In the books, the two are leagues apart. Why would GRRM send them South to meet up with Stannis to burn the heir of his House? I know they are short on time/episodes but come one, that one was really stretching to left field.

This was the first 9th episode of a season that left me cold. Look at its predecessors: battle at the wall, the red wedding, ned stark's beheading, etc. Other than a CGI dragon there was nothing in this episode to wow me. It was a tremendous let down from Hardhome.

Loved:

That Tyrion saved Mel. As for Jorah touching Dany, are we sure he didn't still have gloves on? Will have to watch that part again to double check. But has anything been said about the Dothraki not contracting greyscale?

Here's my take, by location:

Wall scenes: I feel like they're really trying to hard to set up next week's events... but I was still OK with it overall this week....

Camp Stannis:

Stannis early scenes: I don't feel like they showed the desperation enough... building up to the choice. I'd have wanted to see Stannis maybe lose his temper and yell at Davos to send him to the wall or something.

Shireen and Selyse I thought both did perfect performances.... Stann the man did well, but not great.... Tough scene to act.... It was tough to watch... on par with Walking Dead's "The Grove" (just look at the flowers)

Mereen... ehh I felt like it went about 3-5 minutes longer than it should have... Lot's of fluff that wasn't needed.... Dany squirming with Jorah looking to be killed was good.... and the desperation of the fight against the harpies was also good... Flying away with 40 people still surrounding everyone else was kinda ridiculous though.

Dorne: Doran finally grew a pair... cheers to that.... and the Sandsnakes are only moderately terrible characters now.... and still with less depth after one season than Oberyn had after one scene. Ellaria was confusing, with her like quasi apology to Jaime..... and I don't know why the hell we're getting Trystane on the small council, instead of one of the Sand Snakes... Nor do I see what in the world we could be doing next season in Dorne, unless they cast a Darkstar.

Overall not as good as last week's "hardhome", but Dany squirming over Captain Friendzone, and Shireen's sacrifice + Selyse breaking down I think gave the season 2 of the better moments in an otherwise lackluster season

Haven't rated yet. I'm very torn. I'll start with the things I liked:

Dany: The banter between her, Daario, Hizdahr & Tyrion was entertaining.

Drogon: up until Dany flew away on him (which wasn't all it should have been) he looked amazing.

I loved the silent communication between Dany & Jorah but I really wanted her to stop the fight.

Arya: I always love Arya but I wish they would've done more with her this episode.

Jon: again, I'm a fan but not enough of him this week IMO

Things I didn't like:

Too much Dorne. They could cut Dorne completely out & that would be ok with me.

Selyse getting all emotional & trying to stop the burning & Stannis standing his ground. It makes no fucking sense. Selyse has always been cold & distant from Shireen. Stannis was caring with her. Why have them flip at the very last minute? Selyse is trying to convince Stannis he is doing the right thing up until about a second before she changes her mind? Stupid.

I'm not sure how I feel about Shireen being burned. It definitely shocked me. Especially after last week Stannis told Mel to gtfoh when she suggested it. This is a man who survived on rats & shoe leather or whatever to hold a castle for his brother but doesn't even wait to see how far they can get on the butchered horses before he decides to burn his own child alive? Doesn't really make sense in the show. If he ends up burning her in the book I think it will be done much better.

I'm sad for Shireen. That was heartbreaking. Clutching her little deer, screaming for her parents. Terrible.

I think I'll have to watch it again before I rate it.

How would you gave her your daughter to be burnt if she cant even protect you from a raid with his magical powers and visions????

This. Balon "he who may never die" Greyjoy hasn't even died yet, what reason does Stannis have to think that burning Shireen could bring anything good? When Stannis finds out he isn't some prophesied saviour this will break him.

And the amount of 1s is just silly

No, it really isn't. And don't go on thinking they are all, or even most of them, for the burning of Shireen.

Dorne: Doran finally grew a pair... cheers to that.... and the Sandsnakes are only moderately terrible characters now.... and still with less depth after one season than Oberyn had after one scene. Ellaria was confusing, with her like quasi apology to Jaime..... and I don't know why the hell we're getting Trystane on the small council, instead of one of the Sand Snakes... Nor do I see what in the world we could be doing next season in Dorne, unless they cast a Darkstar.

Doran really needs to show he has plans beyond just bowing down to the Lannsters.

Edited by Lordi Nietos

This was the episode that just brutalized the mind of a sullied viewer. I went from outrage at what felt like a horrifying and irreparable change from the books, to shock, disbelief, outrage, and anxiety the minute the inside the episode started and just flat out dropped the bomb that this change was not change, but a BOOK SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!! This is exactly the sort of conundrum we all feared. I totally feel for David and Dan actually. If they didnt just come out and say it, the outrage would be all at them, and for no good reason, but on the other hand, I, and I'm sure most sullied, would have much preferred to learn the truth BY READING IT WHEN IT HAPPENS.

Damn it George, you need to get The Winds of Winter out before season 6 starts. Next week I'm already terrified of.

As for the rest of the episode, well damn it to, the whole aforementioned moment hung over what should have been a most treasured book scene coming to life. And the stuff prior. Solid and enjoyable set up, I guess.