[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

this weird version of 100's of bad guys waiting for there turn to rush the two warriors defending danny then in the middle of who's turn is it Danny walk slowly to drogon and gets on him and fly's off into the sunset.

There weren't 100s of Harpies, there was a couple dozen. And there wasn't just 2 warriors defending Dany- there were at least a dozen Unsullied, who had spears, shields, armor, and training. This easily trumped the numbers advantage of the Sons of the Harpy, who are (in the show at least) essentially hired swords with no training and no real zeal for their cause. Out in the arena was the first time that Danny's people were able to mount some semblance of a defensive position, and every SotH knew that to approach that defense was instant death, even if they thought their numbers would eventually win the day.

Doesn't Dany have greyscale now? Jorah touched her. I guess that cold hearted jerk gets what she deserves...leaving her friends to die in the pit like that. She might be dragon born but she is as cold as ice with a heart of stone.

How does the contagion work? Jorah's wrist is infected and showing symptomatic lesions. His hands are fine. Presumably hand touching is OK, but had to wrist would be a problem, unless asymptomatic stretches of skin can still transmit the disease.

Edited by anon76returns

No one (i hope) is doubting it but it will be far more complicated than "we've got no food and there's a blizzard, honey come here for a second and give daddy a little help."

unfortunately there are plenty of people doubting it. I do think you're right that the scene will play out much differently in the books. I think we were witnessing one of those mash up scenes they've done so many times in the past and take two similar scenes that happen at different times and condense them into one. Stannis won't burn Shireen to get to Winterfell in the books, it'll be for some other purpose we don't know about yet that comes after he is reunited with his family.

Here's a line from that moron Dan Weiss (and for the record I think he's dumber than Benioff) in an EW interview "Stannis has been burning people alive for seemingly trivial reasons since season 2, yet weve still tended to regard him as a great leaderat least, by Westeros standards." In the books, Stannis never burned people for "trivial reasons," and if that's what the showrunners want to show, then they've created a character that is not the Stannis in the books.

This.

Stannis maybe a hard man but he is fair and knowledgeable to boot. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this here but why doesn't Stannis know about the Dance of the dragons? This is an event that every child in westeros knows about! Good and they have found a less sucky way to do this exposition?

Edited by SyShaRa

I gave the episode an 8. Would have been higher if it weren't for two things:

1. The opening raid scene was a major letdown. Ramsay says last week he's going to stop Stannis with only 20 men, and they decide THAT isn't worth depicting in any detail?

2. Dorne was once again a major disappointment. I'm guessing this week's scenes are basically it for that story till next season. What a flat resolution. Everybody promises to get along and Bronn gets an elbow to the face for his trouble. Poor bastard should'a stayed with Lollys.

Otherwise it was awesome (in a gut-wrenching way), though I suspect the Stannis faction are gonna be pissed.

Edited by Pashernate Reader

1/10

I am truly sorry there isn't a lower mark.

This show has sunk to the lowest level possible. I have written about all the reasons why it is so at length already, especially after "Sansa rape" episode. I am not going to waste my time on that again.

However, I'd like to emphasise what I consider the lowest point a human being can sink to in his greed and quest for fame and that is the fact that D&D have "explained" to us that Shireen's death was GRRM's idea. First of all, they were not meant to spoil what is in the yet unpublished books and what isn't. Secondly, and most importantly, the mere fact Shireen was burned doesn't mean a thing. We have not read HOW GRRM led to that moment in the books. He has prudently released a TWoW chapter dealing with this part of Stannis's journey and we do not see Shireen being anywhere close. So, GRRM DID NOT WRITE THIS STUPIDITY WITHOUT TRUE MOTIVATION. And the fact that these two despicable men are putting the blame on the writer while NOT following his story, but inventing their own, is morally disgusting. They should, at least, stand behind their own shallow and stupid decisions. I am thoroughly disgusted by D&D. Now they have bitten the hand that feeds them.

There is absolutely NOTHING they can do or say after this that would bring my mark about them and their work from 1 to 2. Despicable human beings.

Edited by Modesty Lannister

7/10. I liked the Stannis scene. Maybe I've spent too much of my life reading ancient myths, but a ruler sacrificing their own child is a pretty classic trope and I like it when the story has old echoes like that. Yes, it was appropriately horrific, but I think it was probably the best done scene of the episode.

The twenty men simultaneously lighting fires all across the camp was rather absurd.

This may be the first episode ever when I haven't liked Arya's scenes. Come on kid - you're in training to be a secret assassin! Make at least some effort to not direct cold stares at your target as you slyly trail them, invisible as you can be, following them through near-empty giant squares with a seafood cart by the safe distance of what seemed to be five meters.

Meereen solid. Not great, but solid. The gladiator combat was just OK; the Harpy insurrection was creepy and mostly well done, except that I'm confused about how they seemed to be randomly killing anyone and everyone. The show continues the long tradition of no one ever launching a killing blow when one would sensibly be launched, but, well, that's what TV and movies do. Good to see Daario, Jorah, and Tyrion working together. The combat with Drogon was fairly well done; the ride itself was, well, eh, ok, not that good, but I assume that making it look good would be very, very hard and expensive work.

In my head I justified Jon being north of wall by remembering that Stannis's troops were north of the wall too. But a five-second shot of Jon and Edd heading out through the Wall a few episodes back sure would have made it less jarring.

I have no idea what the Sand Snack paddy-whack scene was for.

I keep hoping Dorne has a purpose. Will this just all end with Myrcella, Jaime, and Trystane coming to King's Landing, as Tommen apparently commanded? That seems something of a waste.

As Season 5 winds to its close, I'm feeling much the same way about the show as I did after reading Books 4 and 5: I'll keep going because there have been some fantastic moments along the way and a lot of goodwill has been accumulated, but another season/book at about the same level, and they'll probably lose me.

Everyone saw Shireen being a goat as far back as Season 3.

It had to happen. Its makes sense. The TV show isn't the book on film. When will the book readers except that? LOL

Another LOL

yea those sandsnakes are badass locked up in a cell in their own homeland playing paddy whack LOL

This show is hilarious

Edited by abacabb

It's ironic how after killing his father in the books Tyrion becomes a much darker character and yet after killing his father in the show he has somehow been transformed into a idealistic saint.

Even saying idealist and Tyrion in same sentence makes me sick to my stomach

An 8 from me and a bit of a comedown over last week.

They went back to the sleep inducing scenes too much. Even Arya was far too slow.

The burning of Shireen was disturbing, as it should be, and personally I think it was a mistake putting it in the middle of the episode as everything afterwards would feel flat.

I don't know if it is due to this, or poor execution, but the Pit was less exciting than it could have been and Dany's decision to fly away wasn't adequately planned out.

First of all, they were not meant to spoil what is in the yet unpublished books and what isn't.

Who says? HBO have brought the rights to adapt an unfinished series of books - the show is moving forward faster than the books, spoilers are inevitable. So be it.

Also, I very much doubt D&D could outright lie about what GRRM has and has not told them without getting sued.

Kerry Ingram (Shireen), Stephen Dillane (Stannis) and Tara Fitzgerald (Selyse) gave a Great performance.

Arya scenes dragged again, Dorne scenes were actually pretty good, Jorah was alright, the very ending was a bit weak - CGI was kinda crappy - I did like that Drogon could be damaged by spears tho, he's a small dragon still.

6-7/10 --- Hardhome's Every scene was as good as Shireen sacrifice.

Edited by siimkkoger

It's ironic how after killing his father in the books Tyrion becomes a much darker character and yet after killing his father in the show he has somehow been transformed into a idealistic saint.

Even saying idealist and Tyrion in same sentence makes me sick to my stomach

I know right it is sickening just stop it already!!!!!

Who says? HBO have brought the rights to adapt an unfinished series of books - the show is moving forward faster than the books, spoilers are inevitable. So be it.

Also, I very much doubt D&D could outright lie about what GRRM has and has not told them without getting sued.

D&D said while being Seth's guests that we will NOT know what was from the future books and what isn't. They made a big deal out of it, not me. And now, it's "it's George, it's not us, blame George".

Secondly, do you honestly want to discuss this? Is it enough for you that a character does X? Is it not important WHY, WHO, WHEN, WITH WHOM etc. a character does X? I theatre, it is called "the 7 attributes of an action" (formulated by Stanislavsky). See, princesses in fairytales marry their princes, but none of them gets there through the same story. Would you then say that all such fairytales are one and the same fairytale?

Edited by Modesty Lannister

D&D said while being Seth's guests that we will NOT know what was from the future books and what isn't. They made a big deal out of it, not me. And now, it's "it's George, it's not us, blame George".

Secondly, do you honestly want to discuss this? Is it enough for you that a character does X? Is it not important WHY, WHO, WHEN, WITH WHOM etc. a character does X? I theatre, it is called "the 7 attributes of an action" (formulated by Stanislavsky). See, princesses in fairytales marry their princes, but none of them gets there through the same story. Would you them say that all such fairytales are one and the same fairytale?

D&D never claimed it would be in a book, just that GRRM told them - there is a difference.

Shireen's death has been foreshadowed. Also, there has been a slow turn in Stannis starting to think his purpose is more important than Shireen's, which was solidified by Ramsay's raid. Finally, Stannis isn't the player here - never was. Mel is calling the shots and has been from season 2 - Davos is the only one who can see it and he was sent away.

1/10

I am truly sorry there isn't a lower mark.

This show has sunk to the lowest level possible. I have written about all the reasons why it is so at length already, especially after "Sansa rape" episode. I am not going to waste my time on that again.

However, I'd like to emphasise what I consider the lowest point a human being can sink to in his greed and quest for fame and that is the fact that D&D have "explained" to us that Shireen's death was GRRM's idea. First of all, they were not meant to spoil what is in the yet unpublished books and what isn't. Secondly, and most importantly, the mere fact Shireen was burned doesn't mean a thing. We have not read HOW GRRM led to that moment in the books. He has prudently released a TWoW chapter dealing with this part of Stannis's journey and we do not see Shireen being anywhere close. So, GRRM DID NOT WRITE THIS STUPIDITY WITHOUT TRUE MOTIVATION. And the fact that these two despicable men are putting the blame on the writer while NOT following his story, but inventing their own, is morally disgusting. They should, at least, stand behind their own shallow and stupid decisions. I am thoroughly disgusted by D&D. Now they have bitten the hand that feeds them.

There is absolutely NOTHING they can do or say after this that would bring my mark about them and their work from 1 to 2. Despicable human beings.

This. I can see it happening in the books, maybe near the end of TWoW. But Stannis would never sacrifice Shireen just to get better weather. Most likely she'll die either way, so it's only a choice between burning her now and saving everyone, or doing nothing and then she gets killed anyway. Maybe the WW are about to descend down on them or they are trapped and ambushed somewhere.

In the show, we get this pathetic excuse that Ramsay burned a few tents and now suddenly Shireen has to die. There's no build-up, no logical explanation, it's just pure shock factor. I enjoyed some parts of this episode, the whole scene with Drogon was cool, but I'm giving it a 1 just for the Shireen scene. The show has now really degraded to cheap shock factors and "everyone could die", which is not at all what GRRM intended with his books.

I would rate it 7 or 8. I simply can't bring myself to rate lower than that. Even with all the flaws, GOT still overshines a lot of fantasy shows. it is visually stunning compared to other shows. Outfits, weapons and scenery look great.

I liked the action at the Wall. It was ok.

Shireen's burning was a heartbreaking scene. The girl's acting was great. Wish they would have spent more time on developping Stannis and showing his despair...because in my opinion only a desperate man could agree on burning his own daughter. Of course in the books Shireen is at the Wall but a lot of readers talked about the possibility of sacrificing her to bring back jon. Now I am left wondering is Melisandre packing her new magic and heads to the wall? I think she might know something more that she keeps for herself.

I think Dorne still sucks. And the Arya part was boring. These 2 plots seem childish and silly compared to where the real menace comes from. Making Trant a pedo is again a device for shocking the audience. There was some sexual inuendo regarding clams and Arya that kinda made me worry. Wish Arya's scenes were more dynamic and interesting.

Dany and the pit- I liked some of the lines. The scenes were shot beautifully. I liked the lightning. I loved how Drogon looked, but I feel like Dany's wig/hair was too static when she was flying with Drogon. The scene was so different from the books! But to be frank I expected it to be different. I keep asking myself is Jorah aware that he might have passed grayscale to his beloved queen? Some people said that he was wearing gloves. I rewatched the episode and he wasn't wearing any gloves. Another problem is regarding the harpies. Why are they waiting their turn to attack?

I know the show deviated from the books a lot. Some changes worked, others failed. I still think the show is entertaining and I won't stop watching it. So don't throw stones at me for rating so high lol. Have mercy!