[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Funny. Didn't you say you were done with the show?

I stopped caring about this show at all a few episode ago, yes. Considering the last discussion about the books, I agreed it wasn't fair simply rant on simple scenes, so, considering we're just two (well, one now) episodes left, I watched. If you don't like it, you can go and tell on my mom or the police, maybe?

So, I decided it was fair to watch how this mess would end to have a proper closure. And I don't even need to, it's not like watching the whole thing makes any more sense, as I realised tonight. Also, if anyone is going to use the good old "if you don't like it, then don't watch it" argument, let me tell you that's very dumb, tbh. If I see an advertising that portrays offensive content, the solution is simply turn off the tv? Whatever that action solves, it won't solve the problem. And we do have a problem.

HBO's GoT is a show that is watched by millions. Those millions comment the show. And among those millions, there are people who PRAISE the fact the show is valuing shocking moments over characterization despite those shocking moments exploit female character for the sake of the male ones. And considering mostly of them doesn't read the books -as they aren't obligated- they probably think ASOIAF is the same. I like ASOIAF, I think it's not fair people will have in mind tht the characters are like they are in the show and not about the books.

So, yeah. I watched the episode. I changed my mind. Arrest me, whip me or make me watch the Dorne scenes I didn't watch. Whatever floats your... boat.

As brutal as the burning was, man, I was in tears...Mel is so cold...

Though it seems everyone else considered Trant a pedo, I saw him looking for a Sansa-look-a-like. I'd have to rewatch again, I guess, but the girl he picked did look like season one Sansa without the red hair.

Arya stalking Trant was rather funny, imo.

Drogon 'dragon-purring' for a second got me in the feels. Aww.

What I didn't understand about the Pit scene: why the hell did 4 or 5 dozen Harpies just stand around? They only had to go through 6 armed guys to get to the queen. Huge question mark here. Maybe I play too many video games.

eta: And another grudging nod to Alliser for his common sense, even if it is coated in dickishness.

Edited by roxWolfox 🍁

I'm not much good at quantifying this sort of thing so I'll just give some of my general thoughts:

*Stannis/Shireen: Aside from the fact I liked Shireen, the biggest problem I can see with her burning is that now I don't feel very invested in the outcome of the battle at Winterfell. Despite the fact that I've always thought Roose Bolton was really cool in an amoral way, I still wanted Stannis to win without much doubt. Now that this has happened, I don't really feel that way and so I'm just less concerned with the outcome of the battle overall.

* Dorne: could have finally been good tonight but instead it all ended up feeling kind of pointless and Doran didn't really end up revealing anything important at all so that was a letdown. I'm sure that next week there's a good chance that he'll end up revealing more but it's almost to late to save a storyline that seems to have struggled from the moment Jamie and Bronn arrived in Dorne. Oh and the Sandsnake scene didn't do anything for me either.

*Arya: This dragged as well and was a little bit infuriating to be honest. Plus, why didn't Jaqen hit her for lying about her target not being hungry for scallops? Surely she isn't good enough to fool him? Obviously the Meryn Trant storyline has been added for her to cross another name off the list.

*Jon: In defense of him arriving at the wall instead of Eastwatch, there is that message from Cotter Pyke in the books about how there are dead things in the water. Maybe in the show, Jon was aware of this and that they were dangerous enough for him to want to avoid being in the sea too long (I know, I'm probably clutching at straws here).

*Drogon/Fighting Pits: My favourite part of the episode here. Loved watching the Sons of the Harpy getting roasted. What exactly is it about the CGI that people don't like? I genuinely want to know.

*Hizdahr getting killed was a bit of a surprise but it makes sense when you realize that his subplot with Barristan Selmy won't be happening for obvious reasons.

Edited by Stonelands

I stopped caring about this show at all a few episode ago, yes. Considering the last discussion about the books, I agreed it wasn't fair simply rant on simple scenes, so, considering we're just two (well, one now) episodes left, I watched. If you don't like it, you can go and tell on my mom or the police, maybe?

So, I decided it was fair to watch how this mess would end to have a proper closure. And I don't even need to, it's not like watching the whole thing makes any more sense, as I realised tonight. Also, if anyone is going to use the good old "if you don't like it, then don't watch it" argument, let me tell you that's very dumb, tbh. If I see an advertising that portrays offensive content, the solution is simply turn off the tv? Whatever that action solves, it won't solve the problem. And we do have a problem.

HBO's GoT is a show that is watched by millions. Those millions comment the show. And among those millions, there are people who PRAISE the fact the show is valuing shocking moments over characterization despite those shocking moments exploit female character for the sake of the male ones. And considering mostly of them doesn't read the books -as they aren't obligated- they probably think ASOIAF is the same. I like ASOIAF, I think it's not fair people will have in mind tht the characters are like they are in the show and not about the books.

So, yeah. I watched the episode. I changed my mind. Arrest me, whip me or make me watch the Dorne scenes I didn't watch. Whatever floats your... boat.

Good rationalising.

I like ASOIAF, I think it's not fair people will have in mind tht the characters are like they are in the show and not about the books.

I wasn't going to respond, but this sentence...

I like ASoIaF too. I put it somewhere between peanut butter spread on a chocolate wafer and the smell of newly mown lawn.

I don't really care if others like what I like. I'm not forcing anyone else to like what I like, or telling people that what they like is wrong (unless it's murder or abuse of others).

I love The Stand. My favourite book of all time. The series sucked, in my opinion, and though I haven't seen the 4 movies (as they aren't out yet) I know I'm probably not going to like them as well.

Will I tell others that their enjoyment of the series or the movies is wrong? No. Freedom of choice, that's what it's all about.

10/10 !!!!111!!1!1

Oh my god!

Now that is what I want to see!

Good thinking that they changed the Stannis arc. It was atrocious in the books, him always being the righteous man and saying he fights for the kingdoms and does what needs to be done, but then doesn't.

So good they changed him to the character he was always intended to be.

Do you guys think this Olly kid still likes Jon? I am not sure.

And that ending!

Did you see the rain of halos? St. Tyrion of Casterly Rock defended poor Miss Sandy. And Jorah saved Dany just in the right moment, because the sun blinded the Unsullied guards from seeing a fucking masked man with a knife entering her box.

And then that poor Hizdahr died. Shit. Who will save them now? WHO!!!

But that was really foookin' legendary.

.What I didn't understand about the Pit scene: why the hell did 4 or 5 dozen Harpies just stand around? They only had to go through 6 armed guys to get to the queen. Huge question mark here. Maybe I play too many video games.

Maybe this is a weak explanation buy here is my attempt at a defense: The Unsullied are skill on open ground so the Sons of the Harpy probably knew that a fairly large number of them would be killed before the Unsullied were overwhelmed by their numbers. Lets face it, most people wouldn't be willing to be the ones killed off first if they can avoid it. Maybe it was kind of like the Bystander Effect for them where they were waiting for another member to move in and do it.

I wasn't going to respond, but this sentence...

I like ASoIaF too. I put it somewhere between peanut butter spread on a chocolate wafer and the smell of newly mown lawn.

I don't really care if others like what I like. I'm not forcing anyone else to like what I like, or telling people that what they like is wrong (unless it's murder or abuse of others).

I love The Stand. My favourite book of all time. The series sucked, in my opinion, and though I haven't seen the 4 movies (as they aren't out yet) I know I'm probably not going to like them as well.

Will I tell others that their enjoyment of the series or the movies is wrong? No. Freedom of choice, that's what it's all about.

Wise words. No need for anyone to be personally offended if other people have different views or beliefs about some series, it's all just opinions and no one's is better or more "right" than someone else's.

.What I didn't understand about the Pit scene: why the hell did 4 or 5 dozen Harpies just stand around? They only had to go through 6 armed guys to get to the queen. Huge question mark here. Maybe I play too many video games.

Maybe this is a weak explanation but here is my attempt at a defense: The Unsullied are skilled at open area combat so the Sons of the Harpy probably knew that a fairly large number of them would be killed before the Unsullied were overwhelmed by their numbers. Lets face it, most people wouldn't be willing to be the ones killed off first if they can avoid it. Maybe it was kind of like the Bystander Effect for them where they were waiting for another member to move in and do it.

Edited by Stonelands

I'm not much good at quantifying this sort of thing so I'll just give some of my general thoughts:

*Stannis/Shireen: Aside from the fact I liked Shireen, the biggest problem I can see with her burning is that now I don't feel very invested in the outcome of the battle at Winterfell. Despite the fact that I've always thought Roose Bolton was really cool in an amoral way, I still wanted Stannis to win without much doubt. Now that this has happened, I don't really feel that way and so I'm just less concerned with the outcome of the battle overall.

* Dorne: could have finally been good tonight but instead it all ended up feeling kind of pointless and Doran didn't really end up revealing anything important at all so that was a letdown. I'm sure that next week there's a good chance that he'll end up revealing more but it's almost to late to save a storyline that seems to have struggled from the moment Jamie and Bronn arrived in Dorne. Oh and the Sandsnake scene didn't do anything for me either.

*Arya: This dragged as well and was a little bit infuriating to be honest. Plus, why didn't Jaqen hit her for lying about her target not being hungry for scallops? Surely she isn't good enough to fool him? Obviously the Meryn Trant storyline has been added for her to cross another name off the list.

*Jon: In defense of him arriving at the wall instead of Eastwatch, there is that message from Cotter Pyke in the books about how there are dead things in the water. Maybe in the show, Jon was aware of this and that they were dangerous enough for him to want to avoid being in the sea too long (I know, I'm probably clutching at straws here).

*Drogon/Fighting Pits: My favourite part of the episode here. Loved watching the Sons of the Harpy getting roasted. What exactly is it about the CGI that people don't like? I genuinely want to know.

*Hizdahr getting killed was a bit of a surprise but it makes sense when you realize that his subplot with Barristan Selmy won't be happening for obvious reasons.

I think that's the point here. The two crows at the carcass of the North are both about as awful as the other and they both should get something truly horrible happen to them.

This was quite well-done. The strongest scene for me was the sacrifice of Shireen - everybody's acting was perfect and the scene before it with Stannis and his daughter was really intense as well. Stephen Dillane was absolutely amazing. This might be the most horrifying scene on GoT in a long while, for me even more tragic than Red Wedding. There were some illogical moments as well (Dorne and Ellaria in particular) and I think the writing definitely needs improvement. Daenerys's big scene was a little bit underwhelming. Even though the start was perfect and Jorah's bits were amazing, I (once again) got the feeling of a B-movie towards the very end of the episode. I did not like the Hollywood "Drogon, can't you recognize me?" moment. Overall, it was pretty solid and I liked it more than last week's episode.

9/10.

Edited by RadoLukacs

This was quite well-done. The strongest scene for me was the sacrifice of Shireen - everybody's acting was perfect and the scene before it with Stannis and his daughter was really intense as well. Stephen Dillane was amazing. This might be the most horrifying scene on GoT in a long while, for me even more tragic than Red Wedding. There were some illogical moments as well (Dorne and Ellaria in particular) and I think the writing definitely needs improvement. Daenerys's big scene was a little bit underwhelming. Even though the start was perfect and Jorah's bits were amazing, I (once again) got the feeling of a B-movie towards the very end of the episode. I did not like the Hollywood "Drogon, can't you recognize me?" moment. Overall, it was pretty solid and I liked it more than last week's episode.

9/10.

What do you mean the writing needs improvement?? Wasn't the Shireen burning scene written before it was shot? Wasn't every scene there written at some point?

A 9. I loved it. The CGI on Drogon was horrible, but it was emotionally powerful - it hit me in all the right feels.

Metawise, the dispelling of the 'Stan is actually cool, you just don't see it' meme, and the subsequent twist that it's Martin's idea - so that people can't whine about fanfic - was a cool bonus, too.

I love the Stannis arc this season.