[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

The only thing that really saved this episode was the ending and all of the happenings at the pit, but even there they left plot holes. Like, who the hell are the Sons of Harpy and what exactly do they want? I thought they were the Masters, but it looked like that's who they were killing. Plus, they killed Hizdahr. Then, Jorah touch Dany when he has greyscale after they made a big deal of repeatedly saying not to get touched by the stonemen. But Drogon was absolutely amazing and I love seeing him go all angry dragon on the Sons of the Harpy.

I have no words for the Shireen situation, except to say it was so horrifying that I literally had trouble sleeping last night thanks to that scene.

I never thought I'd say this but they have made Arya's story boring and I love her chapters in the book. They brought back Jaqen and made him boring.

I have no idea what's going on with the mess that is the Dorne plot and I don't care anymore, I just wait for those scenes to be over.

The scenes at the Wall were good for the most part though they were brief. I used to be so amped up about this show, but the writing is just all over the place this year. It's no longer a cohesive story.

Edited by Mother of Mini Dragons

Brilliant episode, it's unfortunately predictable to see how many people have given it a 1. Really? I didn't like LOTRs but I'd never give it anything below a 5 just out of respect of the storytelling, the acting, the directing etc. I wouldn't be giving it a 1 just because I didn't like it. Really petty.

Luckily the reviews throughout the net are showing a saner reaction, looks like it's gone down brilliantly.

Poor Shireen :( Can't wait to see Davos' reaction.

And Dorne, myeah, let's just put a discrete veil over that one.

My beef with the constant complaints about the writing is that they are usually just a paraphrase of "it's not in the books so it sucks". Cutting storylines like Gendry rowing? They have not that much of screentime realestate to play with so a pointless scene where Gendry goes somewhere to become someone of no significance just falls to the wayside. There are important bits to show.

I started to understand just why they had to send Jaime and Bronn to Dorne. Without them nobody would give a flying fuck what happens to anybody in Dorne. Not a flying fuck, we are to far into the show to introduce such an important player to the game screentime realestate wise and have it have nothing to do with the rest of the show. So the error for Dorne is mostly... Dorne and it's storyline existing at all. That's not "bad writing", the problem is rooted much deeper in the source material.

Everything can be seen as illogical or out of character if you want to see it out of character. And the dialogue has been brilliant throughout the show, be it chickens or fewer (to think I liked the guy back there) or stripping away the fineries. It just mostly bugs people because there are not enough lines lifted from the books.

THIS. I love when folks compare the series to the good old days of season one and its excellent writing, when book one is coincidentally the best written. D&D have done a spectacular job of turning GRRM's meandering, worthless second act into meaningful drama.

Edit: turned into a wildling and started cutting off my 'g's.

Why not send Varys to Dorne and use the Trystan for fAegon substitution? I'm not against changing things from the book, in fact, I think they would have been better off making bigger changes earlier and going in their own direction. It would appear this series has too many characters to do any of them justice. Personally, I would rather have had a good series than bad imitation.

As you can tell from my last post, a lot of us didn't care for the writing in season 1.

Edited by Marakesh

The only thing that really saved this episode was the ending and all of the happenings at the pit, but even there they left plot holes. Like, who the hell are the Sons of Harpy and what exactly do they want? I thought they were the Masters, but it looked like that's who they were killing. Plus, they killed Hizdahr. Then, Jorah touch Dany when he has greyscale after they made a big deal of repeatedly saying not to get touched by the stonemen. But Drogon was absolutely amazing and I love seeing him go all angry dragon on the Sons of the Harpy.

I think they have made it fairly clear that the Sons of the Harpy want Dany out.

I never thought I'd say this but they have made Arya's story boring and I love her chapters in the book. They brought back Jaqen and made him boring.

I have no idea what's going on with the mess that is the Dorne plot and I don't care anymore, I just wait for those scenes to be over.

I absolutely agree with both these statements. Dorne is just a mess. I mean I think I understand that they are trying to introduce us to Dorne and introduce us to as few characters as possible while doing it. It is really a mess though. The dialog is horrendous.

I have no words for the Shireen situation, except to say it was so horrifying that I literally had trouble sleeping last night thanks to that scene.

The scenes at the Wall were good for the most part though they were brief. I used to be so amped up about this show, but the writing is just all over the place this year. It's no longer a cohesive story.

I think there is no problem if you touch another with your healthy hand. Shireen touched other men and women often enough, yet they live. And Jorah's disease is just starting.

Fully agree on Dorne. It's 9 series already and we got no serious business happening there. Boooring.

Brilliant episode, it's unfortunately predictable to see how many people have given it a 1. Really? I didn't like LOTRs but I'd never give it anything below a 5 just out of respect of the storytelling, the acting, the directing etc. I wouldn't be giving it a 1 just because I didn't like it. Really petty.

Luckily the reviews throughout the net are showing a saner reaction, looks like it's gone down brilliantly.

That is exactly the reason people give bad reviews. Because they didn't like it.

What else would justify it?

If you dislike the food in the restaurant and the service is bad, you don't give them a good review because they had chairs and tables.

How is a 9/10 a sane reaction and a 1 is not? It also depends on the value you assign to each number. For some people, a 6 is "mediocre/below average", while for other people that would be a 4.

Personally I gave this episode a 1 even though I greatly respect the actors and love most of the costumes, make-up, soundtracks etc. But I want to give off a signal that I'm not okay with the Shireen scene. Not because I can't stand the fact that she dies but because of the context. D&D keep going for cheap shock factors instead of logic and consistency. First we had the Sansa rape and now this. Both events make no sense given their respective character arcs, D&D's promises and logical expectations. By now the show feels like a horror movie with cheap jump scares instead of the promising ASOIAF adaptation that I saw in season 1-3.

Bah. The Fighting Pit scene was probably my favorite moment from FFC/DWD and Sons of the Harpy version felt like butchery.

Arya - For the first time, Arya's plot kind of annoyed me. We all saw the Arya - Meryn stuff from a mile away, did we really need all of these scenes of lead up? Deed should have been done with the amount of time this was given.

The Wall - Safe through the gate, and Castle Black doesn't look to be supporting Jon's reign anymore. I would have thought Jon would have gone straight to Alliser and told him about the White Walkers. Or talked about the White Walkers to anyone for that matter.

Stannis - Jesus mother f--king Christ, are you Goddamn serious?! For f--ks sake!

Dorne - So I guess the necklace / threatening message was sent by Ellaria? Jesus shit they have absolutely defiled her character in this show. Bronn escapes death yet again. One big happy caravan to head back to King's Landing.

Meereen - Dialog between Tyrion/Dany/Hizdahr/Daario - superb. Everything after that - meh. I think one of the best things about the books is GRRM truly keeps you on the edge on your seat. But the TV rendition with all the Harpies... all our heroes were surrounded by Harpies and you recognized this scene from Attack of the Clones instantly - Yoda is going to come in with a bunch of clones and save the day. Enter Drogon. Don't get me wrong, a lot of these scenes were beautiful and Drogon looks great, but all the long pauses where you are getting a moment between Missandei and Dany or Drogon and Dany... I'm just sitting there going "WTF, where did the Harpies go, shouldn't they be slaughtering these people in their moment of reverie?" And if they had so many spears to throw at Drogon, why the hell weren't they throwing those at Dany/Jorah/Tyrion/Missandei/Daario when they were surrounded? Oh yeah, and I guess Hizdahr isn't the Harpy in the show version either. I guess Jorah really getting the point across that he lives to serve Dany was kind of nice, hopefully he didn't give her greyscale.

I think I'll give this one a 6/10. Really disappointing follow-up to Hardhome, despite some impressive visuals.

I think there is no problem if you touch another with your healthy hand. Shireen touched other men and women often enough, yet they live. And Jorah's disease is just starting.

Fully agree on Dorne. It's 9 series already and we got no serious business happening there. Boooring.

But Shireen's was cured. So she can't infect. That I get. The show also made a point of saying she got it from a doll. So how you catch it and how you are protected is not clear. Because a doll is clearly not an infected person, but she caught it and now Dany won't b/c Jorah was touching her with the other hand and I'll have to re-watch to see what hand he actually touched her with. Also, didn't Stannis likely touch the doll he gave Shireen and she caught it and he didn't. It's little things like this that they can take two sentences of dialogue to explain.

This is hilarious. So many Stannis fanboys it's absolutely hilarious. You people are acting like children. GRRM told D&D Stannis is going to sacrifice her. How can you guys just ignore this? Don't give me all this 'The quote is so vague I'm sure he won't be the one' BS. That's petty and desperate.

Stannis is in a pretty miserable spot in the books right now. If something else doesn't give (which it doesn't seem like anything will). He's going to get very desperate himself. He could easily send for Mel and Shireen in one of his last resort attempts to get out of this mess he's in. Get passed your blind love of this character and look at everything that's recently been revealed.

Gave it an 8 whereas I gave Hardhome a 9. I was hoping for a solid 10 but I knew Dorne would ruin the flow of the episode and I was right. Dorne makes no sense right now and it is painful to watch.

Loved the scene at the Wall with Jon Snow and the wildlings and Wun Wun.

As messed up as it was I thought the scene with Shireen was very powerful and upsetting. It showed just how fanatical Melisandra is and just how devoted Stannis is to his cause. It made me pretty much hate Stannis now but the desperation of his situation drove him over the edge. Not sure how Davos will take the news. I am guessing rather poorly but I hope it somehow leads to him going on his search for a missing boy and his wolf.

Arya's scenes were just okay. Based on the released chapter GRRM sent us for TWOW, we know what comes next. Cannot wait for that.

Mereen was great. I did not find it anticlimactic at all. I was thinking it would have been silly if it was just pit fighting and was very happy when the Sons of the Harpy attacked. I actually stood up when Drogon landed and saved his mother. It felt more like a surreal moment for me and from what I could tell Tyrion, Jorah, etc. as they watched what just happened. Not sure where they will go with this with one episode left but SOMEBODY has to release the other two children. I had thought it would be Hizdar but he got all stabbed and stuff. I can see Missendei or Jorah doing it but maybe it will be the head of the Sons of the Harpy. Who knows.

A solid 8 for me. Going to watch it again tonight.

Edited by A Redeemed Hound

Bah. The Fighting Pit scene was probably my favorite moment from FFC/DWD and Sons of the Harpy version felt like butchery.

Yeah, right, Danny has nearly ten thousands unsullied, the best infrantry in the known world, and they can not protect her against buch of unarmored men in a stadium? In the book Drogon flew to the pit uninvited, and caused mayhem and lot of people died, Danny had to came out and tried her best to control the Dragon, and as a result, they flew away, in the show, did Danny just abandond her friends who were surrounded by enenmy and flew to God knows where?

This is hilarious. So many Stannis fanboys it's absolutely hilarious. You people are acting like children. GRRM told D&D Stannis is going to sacrifice her. How can you guys just ignore this? Don't give me all this 'The quote is so vague I'm sure he won't be the one' BS. That's petty and desperate.

Did GRRM tell them Sansa marry to Ramsay too?we all know in the book, Shireen, Selyse and Melisandre were not with him when he marched to Winterfell, and there was no communication between them, so tell me how Stannis managed to burn his daughter? Even if Shireen would indeed be burned, it would not be under order of Stannis.

I don't understand why the people who give the show a 1 every single week keep watching the show at all. For me, a 1/10 means the episode was one of the worst things you've ever watched in your life. If that's the case, why are you wasting your life watching it?

I mean, honestly, outside of a few X-Files episodes that were monster-of-the-week, ridiculous, poorly written, and nothing at all to do with the overall plot, I don't think I could give a 1/10 to anything I go out of my way to watch.

I don't understand why the people who give the show a 1 every single week keep watching the show at all. For me, a 1/10 means the episode was one of the worst things you've ever watched in your life. If that's the case, why are you wasting your life watching it?

I mean, honestly, outside of a few X-Files episodes that were monster-of-the-week, ridiculous, poorly written, and nothing at all to do with the overall plot, I don't think I could give a 1/10 to anything I go out of my way to watch.

impulsive voting.

Most people will come around.

It wasn't a 1, but overall I agree it wasn't good either.

Same thing with last episode, people loved it---it was nothing but half an episode of an action scene with Jon showing off his plot armor. It was rated highly.

give it time and people will realize this episode was a little better, and last episode wasn't as good as the voters indicate.

Margins will normalize.

You do realize it's not the same people giving 1 for every episode? For me 1 would be the lowest Game of Thrones could possibly descend to, not the lowest TV could go.