[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I thought this was an excellent follow up to Hardhome. The scene with Shireen was masterful, as I thought there was going to be a "rescue" up to the very end. I was hoping her dragonscale was going to save her in some way as a last resort. The Great Pit was excellent as well. The Harpies were very good and the dragon of course was fantastic.

I gave it a generous three. Mostly that was for the disgusting treatment of Stannis and the awful resolution to the Dornish story. Daznak's was decent enough to watch, but it feels unearned at this point. Dany had basically won in Meereen at this point in the show, so a random sons of the harpy attack and Drogon's appearance just felt like random diabolos ex machina to me.

I gave it a 9. Really surprised at the backlash from Stannis fans, as he's been burning people alive the whole story. It really is in keeping with his character for him to sacrifice Shireen if he thinks it's necessary. LOVED DROGON! Fantastic.

To give it a 1, in my opinion, is comparing it to Small Wonder. Remember that? The show with the robot girl/slave/maid from the 80s?

To give it a 10 would be comparing it to truly great TV shows like The Sopranos and Mad Men. Compared to them, a rating of 1 would be generous for GoT...

Why not send Varys to Dorne and use the Trystan for fAegon substitution? I'm not against changing things from the book, in fact, I think they would have been better off making bigger changes earlier and going in their own direction. It would appear this series has too many characters to do any of them justice. Personally, I would rather have had a good series than bad imitation.

As you can tell from my last post, a lot of us didn't care for the writing in season 1.

To be honest, I don't know what posts you've made in the past - the thread grows too fast and wild for that. I saw what the OP wrote and it spoke to me. You're probably, though, not one of the people I was mentioning, since I was talking about the folks reminiscing about the past seasons and it sounds like you don't do that.

I agree broadly that other hypothetical changes could have worked. In this case, though, I really, really hated Dorne in the books. Hated it. They were 'skim' chapters for me up there with the Iron Islands. But a lot of people love them. That the princess is there even makes it moderately relevant, so I'm happy that they at least gave me the Jaime/Bronn show to make up for having to go there. I could seriously watch the two of them forever. Tristan and Doran ended up being a surprise perk.

Hell I gave it a 9, I actually liked the episode and thought a lot happened and a lot more was set up.

Arya ignored her task and instead followed Trant. She will either go back and change her face to kill Trant or get stopped by Jaqen. To me it has set her up to be blinded in the next episode as a punishment.

Jon getting back and the obvious disapproval of the NW other than Sam. Getting a few thousand wildlings through to safety is a big deal. Setting up the season ending cliffhanger.

Ramsey torching Stannis and making their situation that much more desperate. I wish Davos hadn't said the line, "about 20 men", we didn't need that reference we already knew who it was.

The sacrifice has been coming all season and can't be that shocking to the people here. It was absolutely horrible and as a father I can say it would never happen under my watch. Take my blood instead since I am the King and have my own kings blood. People are saying that it's out of character for him to do this but it really isn't, he sacrificed family members and his own lords.

Does Davos basically deliver the pink letter now? Is the message he brings Jon about sending men and food going to replace the pink letter and be the tipping point?

Dorne, heck even Dorne wasn't bad this week!

Dany and Drogon. This was done very well in my mind. I was worried since day one how realistic they would be able to have a person riding a dragon and I think it was done pretty well. I liked how Dany and Missande basically held hands and were basically resigned to their fate until they heard the dragon shriek.

I am surprised at the number of comments that nothing happened. To me wildlings being allowed past the gates was big. A king sacrificing his only heir was huge. Dany flying off on a dragon, the first time that has happened in what a hundred years, was epic.

This is hilarious. So many Stannis fanboys it's absolutely hilarious. You people are acting like children. GRRM told D&D Stannis is going to sacrifice her. How can you guys just ignore this? Don't give me all this 'The quote is so vague I'm sure he won't be the one' BS. That's petty and desperate.

Stannis is in a pretty miserable spot in the books right now. If something else doesn't give (which it doesn't seem like anything will). He's going to get very desperate himself. He could easily send for Mel and Shireen in one of his last resort attempts to get out of this mess he's in. Get passed your blind love of this character and look at everything that's recently been revealed.

Thank you.

7/10. Mixed feelings like I'm sure everyone has. Drogon ending was incredible, bravo to the CGI department and bravo to Emilia Clarke because this is where she shines most in these epic scenes unlike her Queenly-voice acting. The Shireen scene was tough to comprehend, tough to watch, tough to take. Book-Stannis still has my support, but nothing that Show-Stannis can ever do now will get me on his side.

Dany had basically won in Meereen at this point in the show, so a random sons of the harpy attack and Drogon's appearance just felt like random diabolos ex machina to me.

Don't think that Dany has won much in Meereen at all. She lost Barristan Selmy. And even though they should have been able to observe dozens of dead harpies after the attacks and from that learn how to find them before they strike, nothing has been shown yet.

The attack did not appear random to me. What bothers me more is the comical fighting from the Gladiators and how the hell hundreds of Harpies were able to carry both weapons and gold masks unnoticed into the Arena, as well as the incredibly low number of Unsullied around.

You do realize it's not the same people giving 1 for every episode? For me 1 would be the lowest Game of Thrones could possibly descend to, not the lowest TV could go.

You do realize there is an extremely strong correlation, right?

To give it a 10 would be comparing it to truly great TV shows like The Sopranos and Mad Men. Compared to them, a rating of 1 would be generous for GoT...

Mad Men is fucking awful. /tangent /opinions

Edited by vividox

Arya ignored her task and instead followed Trant. She will either go back and change her face to kill Trant or get stopped by Jaqen. To me it has set her up to be blinded in the next episode as a punishment.

Huh? Blinding was never a punishment. Blinding was a reward. That's the first step in actually becoming a Faceless Man. Up to that point they didn't think she could do it. When she kills Daeron and says Arya Stark did it, that's a sign that she can be a Faceless Man, and they reward her with beginning her real training. First step - take away her sight.

Don't think that Dany has won much in Meereen at all. She lost Barristan Selmy. And even though they should have been able to observe dozens of dead harpies after the attacks and from that learn how to find them before they strike, nothing has been shown yet.

The attack did not appear random to me. What bothers me more is the comical fighting from the Gladiators and how the hell hundreds of Harpies were able to carry both weapons and gold masks unnoticed into the Arena, as well as the incredibly low number of Unsullied around.

Yeah she lost Barristan. That doesn't change the fact that she'd won at this point. The Harpy Attacks had stopped, there was no pale mare, no impending war with half of Essos, she really seemed to have pretty good control over her dragons. So what exactly is the point of Daznak's? The Harpies just randomly attack after weeks of doing nothing - and to what end? They're killing random Meereenese nobility even though they're supposed to support the return of the Meereenese nobility to power. And where's the thematic resonance with Dany? She hasn't lost her connection with her dragons or anything, this is just a random dragon turning up and ugh.

The show has established that

1) Eastwatch-by-the-Sea is one of the 3 fortresses manned by the Night's Watch

2) Stannis's Fleet was harboured at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea.

So, no, its isn't all book knowledge whatsoever.

This is one of those "you chose to get your knickers in a bunch over THAT? Over geography?" If you're going at that, here's a bigger plothole for you, if you can easily get to the south side of the wall by the sea, why were the wildlings so stupid to climb across the wall for all those centuries? Why did they attack a giant block of ice in the middle of nowhere when they could have just built some rafts and merrily paddle across to where there's no wall or, dunno, learn boatbuiding? Ancient Egyptians knew how to build boats, I am pretty sure even Sumerians knew a bit of boat building. It's not like they lacked wood with all the fences they've put up.

In 8000 years NOBODY figured that out?