[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9/10. This is just off the top of my head:

What I liked:

-Shireen burning. Had to happened, it's been foreshadow since last season and is perfectly consistent with Stannis' character. He is a man that already burned a bunch of family members, was willing to burn Edric/Gendry, killed his brother, and knows the power of R'hllor is real. "But he kept himself and his troops alive eating cats and rats in Dragonstone!" you say? Well there are no cats and rats where he is at now, nor is he in a defensive position. He is about to attack and need to use his forces while they still have some strength left. There is one thing I disliked about this scene (see bellow).

-Pit scene, good stuff, considering how much of the budget must have been used at Hardhome Im surprised this scene still had the number of effects it had. Was it better in my imagination as I read it? yes, but there are no budgetary/temporal limits there.

-Arya, not the best scene, but necessary, particularly as a reminder to TV audiences that Trant is an asshole. Mostly a set-up for next week.

-Dorne, this one because it was not as awful as most weeks, also a set-up for next week most likely. here's to hoping Myrcella gets disfigured on her way to KL (setting up conflict for next season).

-The wall - another necessary scene, yes more foreshadowing FTW, but it would be weird if we did not get a scene of the wildlings arriving at the wall, and the reaction of the night's watch as they do.

What I did not like:

-D&D being wimpy with the burning scene, we only got Shireen's screams, I was expecting at least 1 second of the body slump over while on fire, probably a corpse by then.

-Danny abandoning all her team in the middle of the pit. Drogon should have flown around the arena burning Dany's enemies before taking off. Or show the arrival of the unsullied in mass as she left.

Gave it a 6 which might be harsh but it just felt like too much of an anti climax after Hardhome. The Shireen scene was haunting and brilliantly acted. Dorne continues to be aimless pap and I thought the pit wasn't as good as it should have been. Worse episode 9 of the whole show so far. Very disappointed with it. Why was Hizdahr stabbed? They've been hinting that he was the secret leader of the SOTH.

This.

Edit: of course, I don't think there IS Rhllor. Melisandre has all but suggested that there is no magic and she gives potions and fumes for her "patients" to inhale to make them see whatever the hell she wants them to see.

That and people skills and the ability to read people. That's her game.

Beric and LSH being brought back from the other side. I do believe. LOL.

Gave it a 6 which might be harsh but it just felt like too much of an anti climax after Hardhome. The Shireen scene was haunting and brilliantly acted. Dorne continues to be aimless pap and I thought the pit wasn't as good as it should have been. Worse episode 9 of the whole show so far. Very disappointed with it. Why was Hizdahr stabbed? They've been hinting that he was the secret leader of the SOTH.

I didn't seem obvious that Hizdahr was dead. That could have been for show on his part. I will have to watch it again.

Wow. The burning was one of the most uncomfortable things I've watched... ever.

You know, part of writing a good story is having consistent characters. Stannis saying how much he loves his daughter in one episode only to burn her a few episodes later is not good writing. I knew her death was foreshadowed but for him to just make that complete heel turn was ridiculous. He Selyse said it was a good idea then changed her mind like 30 seconds later. Wouldn't it be better for him to refuse, and go into battle anyway? Maybe win than come back to see that Mel went behind his back? Maybe lose and come back broken and desperate?

Thanks. :D I agree with all of your additions. Tried to weigh being pithy with giving plausible explanations. I debated the answer to #1 and can't make up my mind. He sounded so appalled at the thought of calling it a dance!

Wanted to elaborate my answer on Grey Worm as why would he have a night shift on such an important fight? - Well it really wasn't THAT important as it was still only group stages. Grey Worm promised to arrange his shifts so that he would be besides his queen from the quarter finals on all the way to the semis and cup final.

This was the last straw. Thanks D&D for butchering the books and ruining the character of Stannis. I'm done with this pleb show.

It's totally in character for Stannis to kill Shireen the way he killed his brother and wanted to kill gendry. I suspect Shireen's fate will be the same in the books. When are people going to wake up to the fact that Stannis is a villain.

Lotta Nerd Rage votes here.

I gave it an eight.

Burning Shireen is completely within Stannis' character, but I thought they could have laid out the desperation of the scene better.

Daznak's pit was fine but hampered by the effects limitations and fight choreography. I never felt like people were much in danger. And Drogon was much less impressive.

Dorne is a waste of time, but at least it was a pretty waste of time.

Loved the Stannis and Arya storylines.

Wanted to elaborate my answer on Grey Worm as why would he have a night shift on such an important fight? - Well it really wasn't THAT important as it was still only group stages. Grey Worm promised to arrange his shifts so that he would be besides his queen from the quarter finals on all the way to the semis and cup final.

Yep, agreed. In hindsight, he could also still be recovering from his beat down. I don't think we've seen him at any of her public appearances since, right? It feels like a long recovery but could make sense given the severity.

The IMDB ratings are truly mind-boggling. Literally minutes after the episode aired, there must have been over 2000 10/10 votes. I notice that this happens for each episode so I'm beginning to think that there's a clan of suck-ups to inflate the grade by default because "OMG, best show ever". To me, giving this episode a 10/10 is just as exaggerated as giving it a 3/10 because no way can you look at those 53 minutes and think that it was flawless.

Why was Hizdahr stabbed? They've been hinting that he was the secret leader of the SOTH.

TBH, I don't know why people are complaining about this. Nowhere was it explicitly hinted that he was the Harpy so it's not as if they're twisting his characterization (like they were with Stannis).

TBH, I don't know why people are complaining about this. Nowhere was it explicitly hinted that he was the Harpy so it's not as if they're twisting his characterization (like they were with Stannis).

Didn't Dario basically name him the leader of the harpies? I thought the sight of the Harpies killing so many tokar wearing masters was confusing and contradictory.

7 as good as Hardhome and really as good as this season gets. I found the finale in the fighting pits to be underwhelming ( great special effects and all, I just thought that Danny and Miss standing there waiting for the axe - which you didn't have to read the books to know wasn't coming was kind of dumb and worse kind of boring). The rapprochement with Mormont was as awkward as it was perfunctory - and Tyrion, I don't recognise this character at all. WHERE DO WHORES GO!?! This little guy seems altogether too much at peace with himself and his lot.

Despite those complaints I enjoyed watching the episode. The mood at the wall is perfect- you don't need to read the books to have an idea of how the next episode will end, it was all over Holly's face (that's the kid KW's name, right?). I don't much care for the way Ser Thorne is being portrayed since season 4, but the guy playing him does it amazingly. Perhaps that's the strength of the show (with the exception of Doctor Bashir) when the script and the story get weak the actors sell the Hell out of it. The whole Jamie and Bron in Dorne idiocy is only sustained by the strength of the two characters and some pretty pretty sandsnakes.

Oh I almost forgot. Stannis torching his daughter was very difficult to stomach. Make that a 5 not a 7. Not because it was sensational and unnecessary but because it will be an unmendable rift between the King and his Hand. Without Ser Davos on one shoulder balancing Mel on the other Stannis is just a bad guy who's end is coming. With Davos around he sometimes appears to be the wronged man of destiny who will reclaim his rightful throne. A rift that wont heal between those two likely means that the character Stannis Baratheon is going to die sooner than later. I don't like the TV show telling me where the books are going.

The one question that remains about Hizdahr is why he was late. "To see everything is proper" - and 5 minutes later the Harpies swarm in.

I do believe he died at this point, but I would not say it is out of this world to think he might have "faked" his death.

But this single death does not explain at all why the hell Harpies attacked other noble men, so maybe the show is just too lazy to really explain the Harpies at this point.

This.

Edit: of course, I don't think there IS Rhllor. Melisandre has all but suggested that there is no magic and she gives potions and fumes for her "patients" to inhale to make them see whatever the hell she wants them to see.

That and people skills and the ability to read people. That's her game.

WTF are you talking about?