[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Yep, agreed. In hindsight, he could also still be recovering from his beat down. I don't think we've seen him at any of her public appearances since, right? It feels like a long recovery but could make sense given the severity.

Nah, I think he simply wanted to see the semis and arranged his shifts so that his pals Dirty Rat and Brown Beetle would be on guard duty on the supposedly more boring parts of the games.

...or, in my experience, there's a level of stupid you cannot fight with a rational argument, so humour is usually the only thing that works against it. Sometimes the level of stupid is so high that it doesn't recognize humour as being that, incidentally.

Nah, I think he simply wanted to see the semis and arranged his shifts so that his pals Dirty Rat and Brown Beetle would be on guard duty on the supposedly more boring parts of the games.

...or, in my experience, there's a level of stupid you cannot fight with a rational argument, so humour is usually the only thing that works against it. Sometimes the level of stupid is so high that it doesn't recognize humour as being that, incidentally.

Metastupid? When humor tries make fun of stupid so hard that it turns out to be perfectly reasonable and plausible. Highest (or lowest) form of satire, even if it can't recognize itself.

The one question that remains about Hizdahr is why he was late. "To see everything is proper" - and 5 minutes later the Harpies swarm in.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay, a good question!

Edit: If that sounded snarky, I didn't mean it to. I've read a number of dumb, boring questions in this thread. This is an interesting one.

Edited by Alayne Stone

A rift that wont heal between those two likely means that the character Stannis Baratheon is going to die sooner than later. I don't like the TV show telling me where the books are going.

Well, the show HAS to press forward and George is TOOO fucking slow with his books. I am honestly happy of the prospect that at least April 2016 the next season comes out and I finally get a glimpse (if changed/screwd in parts) of what happens.

More than anything, the endless wait for TWOW annoys me.

Wow. The burning was one of the most uncomfortable things I've watched... ever.

You know, part of writing a good story is having consistent characters. Stannis saying how much he loves his daughter in one episode only to burn her a few episodes later is not good writing. I knew her death was foreshadowed but for him to just make that complete heel turn was ridiculous. He Selyse said it was a good idea then changed her mind like 30 seconds later. Wouldn't it be better for him to refuse, and go into battle anyway? Maybe win than come back to see that Mel went behind his back? Maybe lose and come back broken and desperate?

The world is full of stories of people sacrificing the ones they love.

While I think D&D could have made the desperation of the situation either clearer or more desperate... there's really only two views of Stannis that make all that much sense, given his actions. Both love their daughter -- they aren't inhuman. But that love is secondary.

The more admirable version of Stannis is probably the religious believer and utilitarian. This version of Stannis believes he is a chosen leader sent to save the human race -- and he must do everything to do so. Even burning unbelievers. Or Mance. Or killing his brother. Or burning Shireen. Or abandoning the Wall because his men won't make a difference there -- he needs the whole kingdom. For this Stannis, it's a matter of killing his one daughter now -- or watching the entire human race die soon after. Not much of a choice, is it?

The less admirable version is a stubborn and bitter man who was always angry at being the dutiful second child and never being rewarded. He was never loved, not even by his brothers. He was not made hand or even given Storm's End. And when it was his turn -- everyone else tried to take it from him. Melisandre and her power is the means to an end. He is strict and untractable with others, but never seems to punish himself when he breaks the rules in search of more power -- adultery, assassination, murder. He abandoned the Wall when they had fifty men and the White Walkers marching because all he's ever wanted is the Iron Throne. Perhaps he has even lied well enough to himself about his motivations.

I think either version is consistent with his actions. I think a mixture of both is as well. But both are capable of killing Shireen. Even in his lovely scene with Shireen, it was weird how much he focused on her role as part of House Baratheon, as HIS son... there's an element of pride there even in his attempts to save her. A hug or two does not mean he won't do awful things. Take a look at a police blotter -- I guarantee you parents who beat, molest or kill their children have tons of tender moments.

Stannis could never walk away. He chose to go to war over a throne -- and doomed tens of thousands to die because of his rights. He's not a magnamimous man.

The one question that remains about Hizdahr is why he was late. "To see everything is proper" - and 5 minutes later the Harpies swarm in.

I do believe he died at this point, but I would not say it is out of this world to think he might have "faked" his death.

But this single death does not explain at all why the hell Harpies attacked other noble men, so maybe the show is just too lazy to really explain the Harpies at this point.

Does it really NEED an explanation? Westeros is full of nobles, they are like each other in a nice happy little bunch, right?

Why do you think Mereen's nobles wouldn't have grudges, ANCIENT grudges against each other? Why do you think the more "tea party" ones wouldn't want to kill the lily livered liberal slave freeing ones right then and there and rid themselves of the argument?

It's not really THAT complicated to figure out.

Wow you're really personally invested in these ratings, huh? I didn't vote it a 1, but I can understand people's (especially readers') frustration with where this season's horribly truncated storylines are going. There's a lot of pretty eye candy left, which makes the show enjoyable, but ignoring disappointment after disappointment when characters you wanted to see or storylines you enjoyed in the books are completely omitted in the mad quest to turn 2 massive books into 10 hour long episodes gets to be irritating.

Ah ok. But how does that explain what killed Renly if there is no magic?

Didn't say there's no magic. I said there's no Rhllor, and allknowing and allwatching true god.

Edit: Yeah, actually there is SOME magic to Melisandre, she just told Selyse that most of what she does isn't.

Edited by jacksonbrowne

I gave ep 9 a 3 - only because Jorah was finally redeemed in Khaleesi's eyes and the on edge moments as she was surrounded by the blood thirsty harpies.

The monstrous burning of Shireen proves IMO that the story has lost most of it's heart, and especially it's soul, now that GRRM's writing is no longer reflected in it.

I gave it a 9. Really surprised at the backlash from Stannis fans, as he's been burning people alive the whole story. It really is in keeping with his character for him to sacrifice Shireen if he thinks it's necessary. LOVED DROGON! Fantastic.

Agree completely. It's totally in character for Stannis to kill Shireen the way he killed his brother and wanted to kill gendry. When are people going to wake up to the fact that Stannis is a villain, or at least, a puppet in the hands of the evil Melisandre.

To burn your own daughter at the stake...

Yea since season 1 he was willing to risk anything to get that damned throne. Even after his crew got hit with wild fire he was still like, "c'mon" let's go!" his crew was like , uh? really?

I'm looking forward to seeing how his life pans out.

Agree completely. It's totally in character for Stannis to kill Shireen the way he killed his brother and wanted to kill gendry. When are people going to wake up to the fact that Stannis is a villain, or at least, a puppet in the hands of the evil Melisandre.

To burn your own daughter at the stake...

Meanwhile, in the real ASOIAF, Stannis is marching on WF without Davos, Melisandre, Selyse and Shireen. Who will he burn there?

Since threads need mod approval and they aren't approving a very gently worded thread on the subject, I'll put it here:

Yes, the brothel scene's... age preference... thing does happen. Yes, it told a story of how evil that character is. Yes, I've read the preview chapters and I know what's coming next.

I'm still surprised, disappointed and disturbed that they not only choose to broach that subject but they did so in a way that very clearly showed the girl was not prepared, was scared, was very much raped... and, even if off-screen, they let the deed be completed.

I'm disappointed in that choice towards "realism." This was the truly controversial scene in my eyes.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

It's totally in character for Stannis to kill Shireen the way he killed his brother and wanted to kill gendry. I suspect Shireen's fate will be the same in the books. When are people going to wake up to the fact that Stannis is a villain.

I agree....I've never liked or trusted Stannis and this is totally in keeping with his character. You could see this coming a mile away. The showrunners did an excellent job of humanizing him for the last few seasons and that is why it seemed so shocking....Stannis would order anyone burnt that he felt would get him the IT....(and has) He shadowbabied his own brother and was going to burn Edric...and did burn and shadowbaby others....He is not a good guy. (it still shocked and appalled my show-only hubby, even though I warned him it would probably happen....he wants Stannis to die horribly and painfully now)

I gave the episode an 8. It fell short of Hardhome and the Pit was a bit confusing with the SotH killing everyone in attendance. (what was up with that by the way?) But finally seeing Dany take wing was great and Tyrion's expression priceless. I'm glad Ser Friendzone got a bit of redemption...I like ShowJorah better than BookJorah mainly because I really like Iain Glen.

Dorne??....meh....It's Dorne. (book Dorne leaves me flat too)

Big set up for Arya and it will probably go down like the Mercy chapter did.

I hope Jon sends Sam and Gilly south before the FTW. I see a scene like between Jon and Robb as Jon was leaving Winterfell...

All in all, a strong episode...not the best, but sound.

edited for spelling and grammar

Edited by Balerion's Whiskers