[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

9,25/10, but I voted 10 because it did top a previous episode that I rated 9/10.

This was so freaking epic. SO FREAKING EPIC! I mean it's not like, you can't nitpick, you totally can, and I will, but that doesn't take away from that massive epicness.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Dorne scenes. They were well-crafted. Jaime was amazing, Ellaria played out wonderfully, Doran kicked ass, Trystane who's a rather interesting mix of FAegon, Trystane and Quentyn was alright, Myrcella is your typical random teen girl no.312031 but I don't think she is supposed to be anything more. Liked the Wall scenes too, though Ollie, that little piece of shit of a kid, god I already hate him with his bloody damn side-eyes. I loved how Thorne called Jon 'Jon Snow' and not 'Lord Snow'.

Bravos. This is where problems arise. Mace Tyrell is an infantile, pompous idiot and even though he was a pompous idiot in the books too, I feel like the show version is still a caricature. But let's put that aside, nobody ever cares about Mace Tyrell in the books or in the show. However, I find it very interesting that it should take 7 episodes for Mace to get to Bravos, while Jon left for Hardhome only two episodes ago and he's already back at the Wall. Maybe Mace only sailed by night and took singing classes by day with his ship anchored. What's even worse, what the F is Meryn Trant doing with Mace Tyrell? His whore picking repeated what we already knew, that he's a douchbag. On a different note, dear viewers and internet, no tears and screams of bashing at HBO for the poor girl Meryn Trant picked? Oh well, sorry, my bad, she's not a Stark, so she doesn't matter, I forgot.

Stannis. First things first. So twenty men get into a military camp that has no guards, do some magic, disappear and the camp goes ablaze once they are already out of sight. Somebody please explain that to me. Second things second. So the fire and flames consumed our horses and our food, burned our camp to the ground, so we sacrifice kingsblood to the god of fire and flames and burn some more people, because that will fix things? I fucking hate Melisandre. Third things third. I am really curious to see how Stannis's character will unfold in WoW. While burning Shireen is admitedly out of character for the current book Stannis, it is not such a far kick from his religious fanatism led messiah complex from middle-child complex issues. Admittedly book Stannis wouldn't go this far, for what we know now. Sending away Davos and having that chat with Shireen though make me want to spit him in the face. I was pleasantly surprised that Selyse couldn't watch it though and ran to Shireen. I will miss Kerry Ingram from the show so much. Her acting was beautiful. And those screams. Heart=Broken, and the last time Game of Thrones Show broke my heart was back in Season 3. I know this was quite a change, but after Barristan was killed off as well, why are we still surprised? As for the concept of child sacrifice, D&D didn't make that up. Well, it was pretty bad to watch. One more thing, I feel like GoT moms' reactions to child's death never quite exceeds expectations. I feel like neither Michelle, nor Lena and not even Selyse actress could pull it off.

Meereen. The epicness just got real. Daenerys, Daario and Tyrion were all HUGE. I absolutely loved when Daario leaned in and started explaining about pit fighting, and putting Hizdhar in his places every second was priceless too, also the dialogue between Daenerys and Hizdhar about what's a good reason to die was spot on. The tension was built up gradually in a very subtle and still powerful way. I loved the scene when the sons of the harpy emerged from the crowd, and when Jorah took out the first one attacking Daenerys. Daenerys putting her trust back into Jorah was a very sweet scene in the middle of chaos. I loved how Tyrion and Daario both watched out for Missandei and how Daenerys held her hand when they knew they were all going to die. The whole setup of the scene with the few being trapped in the middle of an arena by the many ready to die a heroic death before help came flying in and clearing around the survivors was very Star Wars Attack of the Clones -ish. I don't mind, I loved that scene too, just saying. Drogon though. THE EPICNESS. THE FIRE BREATHING. I do have to say, I assumed he would be larger. A LOT larger. That would have been even more epic. But no complaints, it was epic enough. And Daenerys riding him was lovely. I hate her costumes this season and it is my belief that the scene could have looked better if she had a dress of a lighter fabric that could flap around in the wind and all. In any case, Tyrion's facial expressions chanelled exactly what the audience felt and I thought that was genius. But there's the little accident with Jorah extending an uncovered hand to Daenerys. Will she get Greyscale too? Will she not? ARE TARGS IMMUNE TO GREYSCALE? Did Jorah realize he was exposing her to the virus/funghi/bacteria/whatever Greyscale is? Did HBO realize Daenerys was exposed to Greyscale? Other than that, there were a couple choreography issues with the fighting scenes, but not nearly as major ones as with the Selmy&Greyworm/Harpy scenes. But let's not nitpick, because the Meereen scenes were EPIC. And the episode on the whole was pretty good too.

There weren't 100s of Harpies, there was a couple dozen. And there wasn't just 2 warriors defending Dany- there were at least a dozen Unsullied, who had spears, shields, armor, and training. This easily trumped the numbers advantage of the Sons of the Harpy, who are (in the show at least) essentially hired swords with no training and no real zeal for their cause. Out in the arena was the first time that Danny's people were able to mount some semblance of a defensive position, and every SotH knew that to approach that defense was instant death, even if they thought their numbers would eventually win the day.

Well said.

Wow. The burning was one of the most uncomfortable things I've watched... ever.

You know, part of writing a good story is having consistent characters. Stannis saying how much he loves his daughter in one episode only to burn her a few episodes later is not good writing. I knew her death was foreshadowed but for him to just make that complete heel turn was ridiculous. He Selyse said it was a good idea then changed her mind like 30 seconds later. Wouldn't it be better for him to refuse, and go into battle anyway? Maybe win than come back to see that Mel went behind his back? Maybe lose and come back broken and desperate?

Well I don't really think it was inconsistent for Stannis to go from telling Shireen he loves her to sacrificing her in a few episodes.. I think it goes to show how strong of a hold Mel has on him and how he in his own mind can justify everything with "Because Mel said I'd be king", he believes he is destined to be king and to fight the army of the dead and he also believes he has to do whatever it takes to get there. Losing is not an option, turning back is not an option, starving to death is not an option.

Stannis surely loved his daughter even as he decided to burn her so nothing changed there, what changed were the circumstances they were in and the amount of his desperation. He trusts Melisandre and believes her to be right about everything.

anon76returns, on 08 Jun 2015 - 02:13 AM, said:snapback.png

There weren't 100s of Harpies, there was a couple dozen.

Cmon kids, let's play Count The Harpies!

https://usatlife.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/game-of-thrones-bullring.gif

About 60 or so in the ring, an undetermined number still in the stands. Based on the arc, the ones in the stands were later throwing spears at the dragon.. which makes an active brain wonder why they didn't just throw those spears at a clearly-visible Dany..

Book canon: no they are not. Targs have had greyscale

Show canon: who knows, they will just make it up.

:lol: I know, it's just, you know a question that always hangs in mid-air. Are Targs immune to _______ [fill in the space]? Like where do whores go...

The burning was certainly hard to watch - which was the whole point. They wanted to stick the knife in, with Shireen's death & it worked 100%.

But was it out of character for Stannis to make this decision? No, I don't think so. Certainly not for show Stannis. He truly believes his own hype (as told to him by Mel) - he is going to be king & he's going to beat the army of darkness, this is his destiny. He's willing to do whatever is necessary to see this done. His trust in melisadre is absolute. She told him this was needed & so he saw it done.

As for Mereen - wow! That is all.

9,25/10, but I voted 10 because it did top a previous episode that I rated 9/10.

This was so freaking epic. SO FREAKING EPIC! I mean it's not like, you can't nitpick, you totally can, and I will, but that doesn't take away from that massive epicness.

I thoroughly enjoyed ...

I really despair sometimes when I come onto these voting threads, I really, really do.

How people (not just the person who I quoted) can give that episode, at the absolute best more than a 5/10, completely blows my mind, and yet it happens week in and week out.

If an inconsitent, mess of an episode like that can be rated a 9 /10 or even 10/10 by some people, what the hell kind of scale are they using to judge the show?

I voted it a 1/10 because it was an incoherent mess of an episode with logic jumps, terrible storytelling and characterisation that were down right pathetic. I also voted it 1/10 as this is the last episode of the show I am ever going to watch. Things had been getting bad since season 4 but this officially is the culmination of sh*t that D&D have ben serving us as they deviate more and more from the base material for know reason that I can see.

You can say maybe my 1/10 was too harsh as a rating for the episode, but as its the straw that broke the camels back for me and watching t.v show I think it holds up.

But how in utter f*ck people rate that as 10/10? It absolutely blows my mind.

1, It's not objective at all, there was some good stuff in there, but I could feel nothing but contempt for this episode, so even the reasonably good stuff pissed me off.

Let's ignore for now whether book Stannis would do this, or what Martin actually meant when he mentioned this event, or whether the roles of Davos, Selyse and Melisandre we in character. Let's just accept that Stannis this episode was completely contrary to every bit of character development over the last season and a half.

What we saw was an extreme desperate version of the season 3/early season four Stannis that burned his brother in law for keeping the Seven and threatened to kill Davos for not magicking up a war winning strategy, not the season 5 Stannis who is rough around the edges (arguably even less so than book Stannis), loves his daughter, gives friendly advice, lends out his ships to Jon for a humanitarian goal and seems to want to do what is best for his Kingdom.

So essentially what D&D have done is start off with an unlikeable character, gradually make him more and more likeable and interesting as a character, then they suddenly undermined that and made him do something abhorrent for shock value so now everyone who watches the show (rightly) hates him again.

That's not to say they haven't done some shit stuff with various characters this season or in previous seasons, but the reason this is (IMO) so much worse than the other characters and storylines they have butchered is that Stannis is one of the two main characters I have been coming back for every week this year, the other being Jon.

So this episode gets a 1, because Stannis' plot gets destroyed in my eyes, and Jon's continues to get weaker (Hardhome was likely the best 20 minute sequence on TV ever, IMO, but Jon's arc is undermined by a paper thin political situation on the wall itself). Maybe tomorrow after my anger has subsided a bit I will be willing to bump the episode up to a 4 or 5, but right now I just watched it and I'm angry.

I really despair sometimes when I come onto these voting threads, I really, really do.

How people (not just the person who I quoted) can give that episode, at the absolute best more than a 5/10, completely blows my mind, and yet it happens week in and week out.

If an inconsitent, mess of an episode like that can be rated a 9 /10 or even 10/10 by some people, what the hell kind of scale are they using to judge the show?

I voted it a 1/10 because it was an incoherent mess of an episode with logic jumps, terrible storytelling and characterisation that were down right pathetic. I also voted it 1/10 as this is the last episode of the show I am ever going to watch. Things had been getting bad since season 4 but this officially is the culmination of sh*t that D&D have ben serving us as they deviate more and more from the base material for know reason that I can see.

You can say maybe my 1/10 was too harsh as a rating for the episode, but as its the straw that broke the camels back for me and watching t.v show I think it holds up.

But how in utter f*ck people rate that as 10/10? It absolutely blows my mind.

It blew my mind how people could rate the previous episode 9/10 and 10/10 too.

I will tell the person who I quoted what's the answer.

Different tastes, different interpretations, different priorities.

If the person who I quoted is allowed to go extreme voting the episode down, I myself should be allowed to go extreme voting the episode up. Wouldn't the person who I quoted agree? :)

1/10. I would have given it a 0 but that was not available.

1. If you're going to have a loving father sacrifice his daughter, then you need more of a lead up time. It has to be in character, or the character must work himself to a state where he would do something this horrific to save himself, his men, blah blah. None of that happened. Horrible development that could have been brilliant, if done well. It was not done well.

2. Dorne. Ew.

3. Dany and the Dragons. You are a group of assassins. There are hundreds of you. You are surrounding the queen, whom you want to kill. She has two indifferent fighters protecting her. You: Stand around, waiting, staring, doing nothing, waiting, staring, rinse and repeat, until the magic dragon lands. The magic dragon and the pretty queen have a magic moment. They smile into one another's eyes. You do not kill her during this loving moment, cuz she's SOOOOOOO pretty. She rubs the nice dragon-pooh's tummy (no she doesn't, but she might as well have; she had the time, and the dragon looked like he would have gone for it). She gets on the dragon, flies away.

I'm officially siding with the Boltons against Stannis.

It's totally in character for Stannis to kill Shireen the way he killed his brother and wanted to kill gendry. When are people going to wake up to the fact that Stannis is a villain, or at least, a stubborn puppet in the hands of the evil Melisandre.

Since threads need mod approval and they aren't approving a very gently worded thread on the subject, I'll put it here:

Yes, the brothel scene's... age preference... thing does happen. Yes, it told a story of how evil that character is. Yes, I've read the preview chapters and I know what's coming next.

I'm still surprised, disappointed and disturbed that they not only choose to broach that subject but they did so in a way that very clearly showed the girl was not prepared, was scared, was very much raped... and, even if off-screen, they let the deed be completed.

I'm disappointed in that choice towards "realism." This was the truly controversial scene in my eyes.

Aha. I was expecting one of you to show up.

I'm not even going to reply. I just love how some people (not necessarly you) watch the show ONLY to pick this out and blow it out of proportion.

Can someone explain to me why Davos is still loyal to Stannis even though he constantly disregards Davos's advice/opinions?

Does Davos still think Stannis would be a good ruler and King if he neglects sage advice andfeeds into the palm of the Red Lady?

Surely if/when he returns and discovers what Stannis has done to his own daughter, who Davos loved very much, surely he won't continue to support him?

Any thoughts?

Aha. I was expecting one of you to show up.

I'm not even going to reply. I just love how some people (not necessarly you) watch the show ONLY to pick this out and blow it out of proportion.

Yeah, definitely not me. Given that it was coming, I thought the Sansa scene treatment was actually fine, for instance. This scene was a different breed in my world, however. Edited by Ser Not Appearing

It's totally in character for Stannis to kill Shireen the way he killed his brother and wanted to kill gendry. When are people going to wake up to the fact that Stannis is a villain, or at least, a stubborn puppet in the hands of the evil Melisandre.

Thank you for saying this.

Stannis is not a villain, but he is definitely not a hero or the champion of justice.

Melisadre is not evil either, only terribly ignorant and an extreme believer of her faith that blinds her to common sense.

I do get what you mean though and agree.

Can someone explain to me why Davos is still loyal to Stannis even though he constantly disregards Davos's advice/opinions?

Does Davos still think Stannis would be a good ruler and King if he neglects sage advice andfeeds into the palm of the Red Lady?

Surely if/when he returns and discovers what Stannis has done to his own daughter, who Davos loved very much, surely he won't continue to support him?

Any thoughts?

It's a legit question to ask. Davos loves Stannis. Stannis means the concept of justice and leadership to him, as Stannis indeed had been just and a presumably a good leader as well. He knows that Stannis's folly comes from Melisandre and has done his best to get Stannis out of her grip. He still believes in Stannis and hopes that one day the man will come to his senses. How he will react to Shireen's death, I have no idea, since that did not (yet) happen in the books.

This is hilarious. So many Stannis fanboys it's absolutely hilarious. You people are acting like children. GRRM told D&D Stannis is going to sacrifice her. How can you guys just ignore this? Don't give me all this 'The quote is so vague I'm sure he won't be the one' BS. That's petty and desperate.

Stannis is in a pretty miserable spot in the books right now. If something else doesn't give (which it doesn't seem like anything will). He's going to get very desperate himself. He could easily send for Mel and Shireen in one of his last resort attempts to get out of this mess he's in. Get passed your blind love of this character and look at everything that's recently been revealed.

I agree. I'm actually shocked how many summer children expecting a good-feel story still exist in this place 5 books and seasons in.

I'm calling it now, Ramsay on the Iron Throne at the end. Get used to it.

For the Dorne part, while I personally feel the whole journey was rather slow, I thought this part of the diplomatics was rather satisfying, more so than previous episodes.

The dialouge between Jaime, Doran, Trystane (Myrcella is clearly just there for plot) was good, but the whole part with the sandsnakes and fetching Bronn from his cell was a comeplete waste of time. Good acting, but bogus and uneccessary.

It would have been much more entertaining had Prince Trystane just said "on one condition" and then they cut and to the part where he is upstairs waiting to hear his fate and then just bopped him in the head.

My favorite Dornish charcater of course is Doran, I think he is a wise and excellent ruler, and Prince Trystane is very easy on the eyes.

Since threads need mod approval and they aren't approving a very gently worded thread on the subject, I'll put it here:

Yes, the brothel scene's... age preference... thing does happen. Yes, it told a story of how evil that character is. Yes, I've read the preview chapters and I know what's coming next.

I'm still surprised, disappointed and disturbed that they not only choose to broach that subject but they did so in a way that very clearly showed the girl was not prepared, was scared, was very much raped... and, even if off-screen, they let the deed be completed.

I'm disappointed in that choice towards "realism." This was the truly controversial scene in my eyes.

Not sure I understand this point. You think bad shit shouldn't be shown on tv even though you admit it's realistic to show there would be young girls used as prostitutes?