[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Thank you for saying this.

Stannis is not a villain, but he is definitely not a hero or the champion of justice.

Melisadre is not evil either, only terribly ignorant and an extreme believer of her faith that blinds her to common sense.

I do get what you mean though and agree.

They are both villains. Misguided religious fanatics that will do anything to get Stannis the throne. Including kinslaying and murder. The fact that they feel their actions are justified is neither here nor there. Those Islamic State bastards in Iraq think they are going to go to heaven as well. It's evil.

Flitters of excitement seeing Drogon return, only to have a ridiculous sentimental moment with Dany while everyone stands around not fighting because, 'hey let the dragon get his reunion on'. Add to that bad CGI and cheesy flying scene you have a pretty sub standard episode, not to mention Jon and the wildlings returning from the north side of the wall...nor Jorah and his seemingly non contagious greyscale giving Dany a little touch-a-rooni. Maybe he got some antibiotics before hand from a Mage and he's all good.

Does no-one on the production team proof-watch the episodes before they go out?

Can someone explain to me why Davos is still loyal to Stannis even though he constantly disregards Davos's advice/opinions?

Does Davos still think Stannis would be a good ruler and King if he neglects sage advice andfeeds into the palm of the Red Lady?

Surely if/when he returns and discovers what Stannis has done to his own daughter, who Davos loved very much, surely he won't continue to support him?

Any thoughts?

I think a better question is why is Davos still not a true follower of R'hllor after everything he has seem. By now he should be as devoted as anyone, that shit changes people.

Not sure I understand this point. You think bad shit shouldn't be shown on tv even though you admit it's realistic to show there would be young girls used as prostitutes?

To be frank, this sort of response - a retort which clearly lacked an attempt to understand yet is clothed in the language of an attempt to clarify - is DOA ... but I'll give it the respect of a response.

No, that doesn't sum the point at all. You are correct that you don't understand. In the portrayal of each topic it's own degree of realism and to each person their own line of comfort. Not all aspects of all things need shown to evoke the desired emotion and understanding. I need not see penetration to recognize rape on screen. I need not see child sex slaves to understand the ills of a brothel. For me, personally, this scene was unneeded. I consider it's inclusion to be unwise and unfortunate. That's my own personal reaction to it and, since this scene stands out more than most on account of my discomfort, I have noted that in my response to the show.

You may have different reactions to that scene and the episode in general. That's your natural right as you in interact with everything. I'm not entirely certain why some think they need to police acceptable reactions of others, but those people are misguided.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

They are both villains. Misguided religious fanatics that will do anything to get Stannis the throne. Including kinslaying and murder. The fact that they feel their actions are justified is neither here nor there. Those Islamic State bastards in Iraq think they are going to go to heaven as well. It's evil.

Well it really depends on how you define 'villain'. According to GRRM there aren't any villains in ASOIAF and everybody is a hero of their own story. Stannis definitely has more dimensions than Melisandre, but I agree that Stannis is not The Good Guy here and he is as bad as anybody in ASOIAF and this has nothing to do with Shireen. I thought the exact same before Stannis even showed up in the HBO adaptation.

But the point is that they could have sailed past the Wall and returned to Castle Black from the south. Unless the Wall goes through the sea and can't be sailed around?

Actually the poster is wrong, while in the books and on the show Stannis attacked from the North side of the wall, the port of East Watch is south of the wall, I know this because when you watch Jon leave for East Watch he did not use the tunnel at Castle Black but road along south of the wall to get to those ships. They just wanted to mimic the scene when Tormund arrived from the books for 15 seconds of pointless tension so they could get to a scene in which Olly looks at Jon and is clearly upset. So they broke logic, the ships vanished, Jon stayed north of the wall for no reason, and Olly did his best imitation of a clue bat. At this point he is more of a clue howitzer, that has not stopped firing all season. Kill the boy Jon, kill the boy. Please kill the boy, like kill the shit out of him. Anyone got the over under of how many times Olly gives Jon an angry look in episode 10? I am thinking three, so I will go with the over.

Also if you play mute your TV during the pit scene and play the never ending story theme when Drogon takes off, it's a little better.

Edited by Ser Creighton

1/10

The plot holes are so big it's going to turn into a black massive hole by next season.

I do believe Shireen will die burned, but definetly not by Stannis. I'm a little happy they didn't spoil the books for us with this but it was an aweful choice to burn Shireen just for warm weather and food, doesn't sound like Stannis.

Dorne, crappy like always. Bad story, regular acting.

Arya's story this week was way so sloppy.

My biggest problem was The Pit. I mean..what the hell? the Lorax/Dario/Dany conversation was meh. What's the point of having Tyrion there anyway? He got to see some dragons at least. Oh, and save Missandei. You know St. Tyrion.

The bad CGI in the episode was over 9000! Dany flying over Drogon needed a bit of that Hardhome money so bad.

Huge let down.

Edit: I hope Sansa dies next week.

Edited by Rhyella Targaryen

Jaime is wonderful in the last books. He is wry, cynical & most of all very observant. It's through Jaime that you find out the fate of Jayne Poole & other minor characters who are the major lychpins for big events,

In Dorne, he just seems stupid & awkward the same with BRonn. Neither of them seem comfortable in the roles this season.

Well said.

Sorry if people get offended by this, but believing Stannis is "just a villain and a fanatic" is showing a very basic and poor capacity of reading comprehension. Read a book (any book, not only ASOIAF) is not decipher symbols from a paper. It's understand motifs and characterization. Also, being an asshole or a dislikeable person doesn't equals being a villain.

To be frank, this sort of response - a retort which clearly lacked an attempt to understand yet is clothed in the language of an attempt to clarify - is DOA ... but I'll give it the respect of a response.

No, that doesn't sum the point at all. You are correct that you don't understand. In the portrayal of each topic it's own degree of realism and to each person their own line of comfort. Not all aspects of all things need shown to evoke the desired emotion and understanding. I need not see penetration to recognize rape on screen. I need not see child sex slaves to understand the ills of a brothel. For me, personally, this scene was unneeded. I consider it's inclusion to be unwise and unfortunate. That's my own personal reaction to it and, since this scene stands out more than most on account of my discomfort, I have noted that in my response to the show.

You may have different reactions to that scene and the episode in general. That's your natural right as you in interact with everything. I'm not entirely certain why some think they need to police acceptable reactions of others, but those people are misguided.

Hmmm. Sounds like you simply didn't like it. That's the only reason I can deduce for you thinking it 'unwise'. For me it added another layer to Meryn Trant's already shitty character. I'm looking forward to seeing Arya take him out.

I think a better question is why is Davos still not a true follower of R'hllor after everything he has seem. By now he should be as devoted as anyone, that shit changes people.

Not really. Davos is generally a good, just and honorable man. The things he has seen of this religion often greatly conflict with his sense of morality. He's also quite wary of Melisandre herself.

Edited by bb1180

Plot holes are definitely developing and widening and character treatment differences between book and show frustrate me, but I think the overall story is still discernable and acceptably functional. The holes are distracting and decrease my enjoyment but I still rated the episode an 8 on account of overall quality and complete storylines. Some of the things they addressed were not things I liked, but I think they did a decent job of portraying them.

The exception is Dorne, always Dorne. It just struggles mightily and I suspect is mostly just an example of the difference between GRRM narrative quality and that of others. His is tight and balanced. The further they stray, the weaker it gets. They also failed in some casting and directorial decisions, imo. The Sand Snakes don't evoke the right feel for me. They feel soft... even Obarra, whose casting description apparently only required an ability to scowl absurdly. Myrcella also just feels terribly misplaced. I can't pinpoint why but she's like a cookie-cutter teen flick character and lacks a GOT universe feel. Fortunately, Dorne featured small... so I basically ignore it when rating the episode. Give us more Doran, please.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing